Italian authorities seeking response from Apple on in-app purchases
Italy’s Antitrust and Competition Authority is investigating Apple for misleading consumers by advertising free apps that actually required in-app purchases to keep playing. Google, Amazon, and Gameloft are also being targeted by authorities for the same reason. The companies now have 20 days to comply with information requests and to offer a defense, ZDNet reports. According to the report, the companies could face a fine of up to €5 million — about $6.85 million. Authorities took action after examining a Gameloft app called Littlest Pet Shop, a free kids app that offers in-game currencies.
Apple has been scrutinized a number of times for its in-app purchase model during the past few years — the company settled a class action lawsuit over freemium apps aimed at children in February 2013, and settled with the Federal Trade Commission over IAPs in January 2014. The FTC forced Apple to modify its billing practices in the App Store.
- Apple Music makes much-anticipated debut with iOS 8.4 release
- Cooking Dash 2016, Disney Gif, iTunes U 3.0, Swarm 2.5, + Zipcar 4.0
- Apps containing Confederate flag pulled from App Store
- Google Play Music adds free, ad-supported streaming radio
- Transistor, Adobe Hue, Mic Room, Elevate 2.0
- Apple takes App Analytics out of beta, adds new features
- Report: iPhone 6S may be slightly thicker than iPhone 6
- Apple Pay set to launch in UK on July 14?
- Report: New iPhone’s base storage could stay at 16GB
- Apple exploring person-to-person Apple Pay transactions?
- Report: iPhone 6S to get 12MP camera, 4K video recording?
- Report: New iPhone 6S LTE chip could ‘double’ download speeds
- Cue: New iOS 9 beta coming next week
- iTunes 12.2 release includes support for Apple Music
- Report: iPhone 6S to look ‘nearly identical’ to iPhone 6
- Appeals court: Apple conspired to fix e-book prices
- TempTraq Wearable Bluetooth Thermometer
- JBL Clip+ Bluetooth Speaker
- Monk Magnet Wallet Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Just Mobile TimeStand for Apple Watch
- Soundfreaq Sound Kick 2 Wireless Travel Speaker
- iHome SoundFlask iBT32 Bluetooth Speaker
- IK Multimedia iKlip Grip
- Misfit Bolt Wirelessly Connected Smart Bulb
- Nomad Stand for Apple Watch
- MyCharge RazorUltra
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps
- Opinion: The ‘Grand Experiment’ of shifting to Google Photos
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?