iTMS sells 3.3 million songs in one week | iLounge News

iTMS sells 3.3 million songs in one week

By Dennis Lloyd

Publisher, iLounge
Published: Wednesday, May 5, 2004
News Categories: iTunes

“Apple today announced that music fans have purchased and downloaded a record setting 3.3 million songs from its third generation iTunes Music Store since its launch one week ago. Highlighting the popularity of its innovative new features, iTunes users have already published more than 20,000 iMixes, and those iMixes have been rated by fellow iTunes users over 50,000 times. In addition to the 3.3 million purchased songs, iTunes users have downloaded more than 500,000 free songs from popular artists including Foo Fighters, Avril Lavigne, Courtney Love, Annie Lennox, Jane’s Addiction, Counting Crows, Renee Fleming and Nelly Furtado during Apple’s week-long “Free Song of the Day” anniversary promotion.

‘Our third generation iTunes Music Store just blows away any other online music service,’ said Steve Jobs, Apple’s CEO. ‘With over 700,000 songs and innovative features like iMix, it’s the easiest to use and most fun to use online music store in the world.’”

« European labels scared of Apple dominance

Win one of seven Griffin iTalks »

Comments

Is it me, or does Steve Jobs like to use “in the world’ just a little too much?

Posted by Sam on May 5, 2004 at 7:53 AM (PDT)

It is a great product indeed…now, if Apple would just fix the bug in version 4.5 that prohibits me from sharing my iTunes library on my home network, I’d be even more pleased.  worked fine in 4.2!

Posted by jcs on May 5, 2004 at 7:55 AM (PDT)

wow, 3.3 million songs in one week… i remember last summer when they were celebrating the over a million mark since store opening.

Posted by specialx on May 5, 2004 at 8:50 AM (PDT)

Any other company would have slanted the numbers (truthfully) as far as possible and said “3.8 million downloads.”

But Apple knows some “journalists” will only accept that from companies tied to Microsoft and WMA smile So they are extra careful to say 3.3 million paid downloads PLUS .5 million free downloads.

For the iPod platform—and for Apple’s bottom line—the 3.8 number is the more important one. The iTunes store makes a small profit, and digging into that doesn’t mean much compared to getting a half-million more iPod-ready songs out there. And with “Free!” to attract people, I bet a lot of them are first-timers.

Posted by Nagromme on May 5, 2004 at 10:09 AM (PDT)

Re sharing your library: did you upgrade the OTHER machine to iTunes 4.5 too? You have to.

Posted by Nagromme on May 5, 2004 at 10:10 AM (PDT)

“did you upgrade the OTHER machine to iTunes 4.5 too? You have to.”

Yes, I did upgrade all of my computers to version 4.5.  Several others are reporting the same problem after upgrading to 4.5. Here’s a discussion on this problem on Apple’s boards, but still no fix: http://discussions.info.apple.com/webx?14@59.X5dhav1alXJ.1@.68926b5a

Posted by jcs on May 5, 2004 at 2:04 PM (PDT)

In the world?

iTunes is a piece of trash music player, and the music store is more expensive than me going to HMV and buying the CD

Posted by Patters0n on May 5, 2004 at 4:02 PM (PDT)

I wish I had an HMV… never heard of that store. No CD store around here lets me buy just the good song(s) off a CD smile

And I’ve never seen as slick or powerful a way to manage my music as iTunes.

Posted by Nagromme on May 5, 2004 at 6:26 PM (PDT)

Piece of trash music player? Not hardly. iTunes is a GREAT program. (And this comes from a windows user, not an Apple fanboy)

I only wish I had downloaded it sooner!

Posted by Coasterbuf on May 5, 2004 at 11:40 PM (PDT)

“iTunes is a GREAT program”

It’s a bit sluggish.

Posted by Bit Slow on May 6, 2004 at 6:11 AM (PDT)

iTMS, 3.3 million, who cares!

Posted by BigSid in Los Angeles on May 6, 2004 at 7:48 AM (PDT)

Try walking into HMV and asking to buy *one* song from a CD.

Posted by Chimpee on May 6, 2004 at 10:04 AM (PDT)

iTMS will be a bit player in a few years.

WalMart is gonna take their business.

Amazon is gonna take their business.

Posted by BigSid in Los Angeles on May 6, 2004 at 11:01 AM (PDT)

BigSid - some life you must have if your only entertainment is trolling on an iPod website. Even the orphans in the slums are laughing at you out of pity.

Posted by Nathan on May 6, 2004 at 8:37 PM (PDT)

Nathan - Even the orphans in the slums are laughing at you out of pity.

Funny :>) comment, I’ll have to try and remember that one.

Posted by retro on May 7, 2004 at 4:49 AM (PDT)

I’m totally off iTunes until they (a) begin selling songs with a 192-bit encoding option, and (b) come out with bulk pricing.

The 128-bit songs sound like crap.

And why the hell would anyone pay $50 for some of those iMixes? Buying real CDs used off Amazon and eBay works much better, AND you get the real deal. (A CD will certainly outlast 128-bit AAC, I’ll tell you that much.)

Posted by Amit on May 9, 2004 at 12:13 PM (PDT)