iTMS Shutdown to prepare for iTunes for Windows? | iLounge News

iTMS Shutdown to prepare for iTunes for Windows?

I was heading over to the iPod discussions on Apple.com, and I noticed this header in bold:

“The iTunes Music Store will be unavailable on Sunday, September 21, 2003 from Midnight to approximately 2:30AM Pacific Daylight Time. Please plan to visit the iTunes Music Store either before or after this temporary outage.”

This is just pure speculation, but it is encouraging. Hopefully, the shutdown is for a server upgrade or something.  You know, to upgrade their hardware in preparation for a massive spike in visits…?  With recent reports pegging the release of iTunes for Windows as sometime in October, it looks like Apple is finally going to give all us Windows iPod users a present soon.

« iPod 30GB for $434

Mac: RemoteTunes 1.0 Released »

Comments

Woot!

Posted by gilatrout on September 17, 2003 at 2:32 PM (CDT)

I really think you are jumping to the wrong conclusions.  It could be just maintenace, or possibly an upgrade for mac users…its hard to say.  But I would chill before jumping to all kinda of conclusions…

Posted by Rob on September 17, 2003 at 3:11 PM (CDT)

Why do I want iTunes? Rhapsody works just fine, is cheaper, and streams entire songs not just 30 second samples.

iTunes streams only samples, right? Or do they stream entire songs for on-line listening?

Posted by Dunfee on September 17, 2003 at 3:33 PM (CDT)

Rob:  This is the iTunes Music Store we’re talking about here.  You buy music (the real stuff, not no-name) for $0.99 per song or ~$9.99 per album.  The whole thing gets downloaded instantly to your machine inside of iTunes and sync’s over to your iPod and such.

Posted by Kevin on September 17, 2003 at 3:55 PM (CDT)

umm…you dont own the songs.  for iTMS u own the song. also u cant transfer them to the ipod.  define “cheaper”  u pay a subscription to listen to music and then $.79 to burn it.

Posted by lilmoonee on September 17, 2003 at 3:56 PM (CDT)

Oops sorry, meant to direct that comment to Dunfee not to Rob.  Misread the attribution.  =)

Posted by Kevin on September 17, 2003 at 3:57 PM (CDT)

ridiculous and erroneous. obviously apple is preparing for the imminent ninja invasion. i myself will stay in that day and stay away from high-profile, ninja-prone targets.

Posted by razzle dazzle mike on September 17, 2003 at 6:04 PM (CDT)

“Gift” is a stong word.  I’m sure Apple will be charging us Windows users for a copy of iTunes.  Which I will gladly pay, because MusicMatch is the most annoying program I have ever used.

Posted by TheMantis on September 17, 2003 at 7:26 PM (CDT)

$9.99 for a complete album is too expensive. I’d rather buy the album from half.com or something, and rip it at 320 K MP3.

Posted by Squibbles on September 17, 2003 at 7:35 PM (CDT)

I still don’t understand. Why do I want iTunes?

I pay 24 bucks every three months for Rhapsody. I get 350,00 songs—full length, not samples—that I can stream anytime I’m on a computer. I get 40 genres, tons of artists to check out, etc etc.

iTunes is free yeah, but it only offers 30 second samples. Why do I want to pay 99 cents a song if I want to hear the whole thing?

I could care less if I own it when I can *stream the whole thing* whenever I want for around 8 bucks a month.

I still don’t get it. iTunes and its samples is a rip-off. Am I missing something?

Posted by Dufree on September 17, 2003 at 8:20 PM (CDT)

Yes, you are.
Rhapsody streams.
iTunes downloads.

That’s a pretty big difference.
Although, I still think both are too expensive. I’d rather buy the CD.

Posted by Squibbles on September 17, 2003 at 8:24 PM (CDT)

you don’t understand what itunes does?
you can hear a sample before downloading the ENTIRE song for 99 cents. then you can burn it to cd all you want.

Posted by Fiddytree on September 17, 2003 at 8:53 PM (CDT)

Right. I get it. You pay 99 cents for a song. But my point is this: I’d rather have 350,000 songs at my fingertips for a measly 8 bucks a month. No, I can’t *save* it, but I can listen to it anytime I want.

350,000 is a lot of songs.

Why do I want to spend 99 cents for *one* song? That’s a rip off.

I’d much rather spend 8 bucks a month for 350,000.

I still don’t get what the big deal is about iTunes. I could see if they had whole songs to stream—but 30 second samples? What a ripoff.

Posted by Dufree on September 17, 2003 at 9:00 PM (CDT)

can u transfer to ipod?  i think not heh

Posted by lilmoonee on September 17, 2003 at 9:03 PM (CDT)

Besides, Rhapsody is only *79 cents* a song, so if I really want to download it—it’s *still* cheaper than 99 cents.

Anyway, I guess both are cool. Although I must say, between my subscription to Rhapsody and XM radio, I can see that the labels are finally getting the right idea.

XM radio, BTW, rocks.

Posted by Dufree on September 17, 2003 at 9:03 PM (CDT)

You are missing the point, to listen to the songs you stream you have to be at a computer.  I can take my songs and burn them to a CD and bring them anywhere and listen to them anywhere, or I can put it on my iPod and do the same.

Mike

Posted by mike on September 17, 2003 at 9:04 PM (CDT)

P.S.  This is an iPod centric website so most people have iPods, so being able to put the songs on our iPods is a major selling point.

Posted by mike on September 17, 2003 at 9:06 PM (CDT)

Chicks love ipods.  You know what chicks don’t love?  Having to sit there while you “stream” a song off of the internet.  Hey, maybe you can be cool and SHOVE SOME MULTI SIDED DICE IN HER FACE WHILE YOU SPANK HER WITH A PRINTED OUT SCREENPLAY OF MONTY PYTHON AND THE HOLY GRAIL YOU CREEPY SONG STREAMING LOSER.

Posted by Mike on September 17, 2003 at 9:34 PM (CDT)

UMMM…What was that last comment about?

Posted by Christianicononev.2 on September 17, 2003 at 9:50 PM (CDT)

P.S.-
1.Squibbles, I kinda get where you’re coming from. Call me old fashioned, but for me, I can’t see spending $9.99 if I’m also not getting all the other stuff that comes with the CD when you buy it from a store. I’ll just keep going to Tower. On the other hand, if it’s a situation where an album is completely out of print,and the only way I can get it is on I-Tunes, then in that case that’s more than a fair price. We’ll see.
2.From what I can tell, Rhapsody is worth trying out on a trial basis. I plan on doing a comparison, and who knows, I may subscribe to it. It may as close as I can get to XM,for the time being. However,and I can’t agree more with TheMantis, I am so beyond over MM(especially its alleged customer service),that if it does launch this weekend,I will run toward it so fast,Steve J.‘s head would spin.
In the meantime, let’s play nice,kids.

Posted by Christianicononev.2 on September 17, 2003 at 10:18 PM (CDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >