iTMS Shutdown to prepare for iTunes for Windows? | iLounge News

iTMS Shutdown to prepare for iTunes for Windows?

I was heading over to the iPod discussions on Apple.com, and I noticed this header in bold:

“The iTunes Music Store will be unavailable on Sunday, September 21, 2003 from Midnight to approximately 2:30AM Pacific Daylight Time. Please plan to visit the iTunes Music Store either before or after this temporary outage.”

This is just pure speculation, but it is encouraging. Hopefully, the shutdown is for a server upgrade or something.  You know, to upgrade their hardware in preparation for a massive spike in visits…?  With recent reports pegging the release of iTunes for Windows as sometime in October, it looks like Apple is finally going to give all us Windows iPod users a present soon.

« iPod 30GB for $434

Mac: RemoteTunes 1.0 Released »

Comments

Lots of misinformation here. To set the record strait:

1) iTunes is a music cataloging program (among other things).
2) iTunes Music Store is a component of iTunes.
3) Using iTMS, 30 second streams are free. No monthly fee.
4) If you want to listen, it cost $.99 a song or $9.99 for most albums. You can then burn to CD or place on your iPod.

In a lot of ways, iTMS is like Amazon. Amazon gives you streamed clips for some songs before buying the CD. The whole point of iTMS is buying music.

Apple has placed a bet that the market to BUY music online is where the money is. Subscription services are interesting to a subset of people, but iTMS may have a larger market.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see Apple add some sort of subscription service down the road if the labels make the licensing better.

Also, will be interesting to see what Universal’s price cuts to around $9.99 for a physical CD does to “crippled” aac download pricing.

Posted by straitshooter on September 17, 2003 at 10:41 PM (CDT)

ah, i see. i didn’t gather that from your posts, Squibbles. well, you have your preference i guess.

Posted by Fiddytree on September 18, 2003 at 6:39 AM (CDT)

I’ll tell you what that was about—making me laugh out loud. Funny as hell, Mike!

<<Chicks love ipods. You know what chicks don’t love? Having to sit there while you “stream” a song off of the internet. Hey, maybe you can be cool and SHOVE SOME MULTI SIDED DICE IN HER FACE WHILE YOU SPANK HER WITH A PRINTED OUT SCREENPLAY OF MONTY PYTHON AND THE HOLY GRAIL YOU CREEPY SONG STREAMING LOSER.>>

Posted by Dolt on September 18, 2003 at 8:09 AM (CDT)

nike, if u want the chicks go get a ferrari. ipod don’t work on babes, only on bimbos.

Posted by j.m on September 18, 2003 at 8:44 AM (CDT)

I used to have Rhapsody, and it would definitely be cool if a user can download any of the 350,000 songs. But the download selection is extremely limited. The selection at iTunes definitely is more than Rhapsody.

Posted by Joe Boo on September 18, 2003 at 9:06 AM (CDT)

/streams a ferrari

WHERE MY CHICKS BE AT??!

“Chicks love iPods”

Damn straight we do.  We love to OWN them, not ogle some guy who happens to have one.

Wait I lied.  We love both.

Posted by prototypechild on September 18, 2003 at 9:27 AM (CDT)

<<I get 350,00 songs—full length, not samples—that I can stream anytime I’m on a computer.>>

Who the heck only listens to music while sitting at a computer?  I want tunes in my car, I want tunes in my pocket while at work or exercising or just hanging out.

I love hearing a new song (or an old song) that I really like.  Jump into iTunes, download the song for a buck, in 30 seconds it’s on my iPod and I’m off to do whatever I want to do.  Music subscriptions suck.  I subscribe to Audible, but the books go on my iPod and I can take them with me anywhere.  I “own” them.  Not so with lame music streaming subscriptions.

Posted by LagunaSol on September 19, 2003 at 12:17 PM (CDT)

Does anybody know what the Dance Music selection is like on I-Tunes? And are they full length versions or edits?

Posted by Christianicononev.2 on September 20, 2003 at 11:00 PM (CDT)

Page 2 of 2 pages  < 1 2