iTMS tops 85 million downloads | iLounge News

iTMS tops 85 million downloads

“Apple has had more than 85 million downloads from its popular iTunes music store, which officially only works with its market-leading iPod digital music players. Songs typically cost 99 cents each and users can download them onto as many iPods as they like and on up to five computers.”

« Shure E2 earphones for $69.00

BTI Battery Pack for $85 »

Comments

ITMS and iPod hatas can keep holding their breath for the demise of Apple.  I think Apple’s doing a few things that will ultimately cap their success, but they’re also doing quite a bit right.  In fact, they’re doing a whole lot right.

Posted by http://homepagemac.com/cherrypop/ on June 8, 2004 at 2:38 PM (PDT)

The only reason I don’t download more from iTunes is because of the low quality 128kbps.  Don’t get me wrong, all things considered 128 AAC sounds pretty good.  But I can hear things in the songs that I don’t like.  If Apple were to offer a choice of bitrates, say 160 and/or 192, I would not hesitate at all to buy more.  But, i can also understand why they don’t at the same time.

Posted by RSM in Tupelo, MS on June 8, 2004 at 5:12 PM (PDT)

Number could’ve been 200+ million if they would sell music that’s compatible with all players.

But, what do I care… I have an iPod and I don’t buy music from iTMS and I don’t really care about Apple’s money… I’m more worried about my own money and iTMS songs don’t seem like the best investment right now.

Posted by Big Sid on June 8, 2004 at 5:32 PM (PDT)

so, they’re still 15 million less the download amount they projected for a month or so ago?

Posted by heh on June 8, 2004 at 6:46 PM (PDT)

What kind of numbers are Napster and Sony doing?

...that’s what I’d like to know.

Posted by Schiano on June 8, 2004 at 7:42 PM (PDT)

Don’t forget that you can also burn infinate times onto a CD(with some slight playlist rearranging), which makes it compatible with all players out there that take CD’s, which is, the last time I checked, still the majority.

Posted by Sraphim on June 8, 2004 at 8:26 PM (PDT)

Apple rules and iTMS is going to be unstoppable after the 15th!

Posted by Joe Mama on June 9, 2004 at 4:19 AM (PDT)

gotta say, the 128kps is the ONLY reason I don’t buy a LOT more. very good point, RSM, and one I’ve wanted Apple to really hear.

Posted by mvague on June 9, 2004 at 8:13 AM (PDT)

The other problem is price. I wish the record companies would just figure out the simple concept:

Charge more for singles and less for albums!

That seems to make the most sense. Of course thats easy for me to say since I only buy albums. grin

Posted by Biff on June 9, 2004 at 8:30 AM (PDT)

If you’re hearing defects in AAC, be sure it’s not defects in Apple’s “effects”... In iTunes preferences, turn OFF Sound Enhancer and Sound Check. They’re neat, but they cause crackling/clipping! Similarly, don’t use the built-in equalizer presets. Make your own, with the pre-amp set DOWN as far as the highest band is set up. Otherwise… more clipping.

Those issues are very annoying, and affect any format of audio. Apple really should do pre-amp adjusting automatically on all effects so there’s never clipping. Sound Check should never increase a song volume, only decrease it.

(I don’t have an iPod yet so I don’t know if the iPod’s built-in equalizer presets share this issue.)

Posted by Nagromme on June 10, 2004 at 9:32 PM (PDT)