iTrip for 3G iPod delayed again | iLounge News

iTrip for 3G iPod delayed again

Here is the response to my inquiry about my iTrip order status to Griffin customer service:

“There was a delay due to unexpected manufacturing issues. The new iTrip is slated to begin shipping by the end of September. The standard protocol for shipping iTrips will be to send out the oldest pre-orders first.  The expediency to which we can get to your order will depend upon when the order was received and the availability of our inventory. We here at Griffin will work as hard as we can to get your orders to you.  We value your interest and appreciate your patience.”

« DealExpress offers low-price deals on iPods

Behind-the-scenes look at ‘iPods Unite’ commercial »

Comments

Damn they have removed the review from the site. It was there last night. Sorry for the useless linkage :)

Posted by rare uk on August 29, 2003 at 2:07 AM (CDT)

Well… I originally ordered the first version of the iTrip. When the 3rd generation iPods came out I traded my iPod for a new one through PowerMax (Great company!). Since I hadn’t received the iTrip, I called Griffin to change the order. The rep didn’t realize that I had traded and offered to sent me an original iTrip to use until the new ones came out. THAT was good customer service. I explained that I had traded and only had the 3gen iPod. He told me that there was an issue with the new connector beside the audio out plug. Whatever the reason, I had already outfitted my car with a… get this now… $99 stereo/cd player that had an aux input port. Until I receive my iTrip, I will just use a cable. For the asses speaking badly of Griffin, where is your whining about Apple. Since 1995, I don’t remember them shipping ANYTHING on time.

Posted by Melangell on August 29, 2003 at 8:58 AM (CDT)

This is a terrible company. Their first one was delayed by months, and they illegally held onto my credit card number for more than 90 days without contacting me with any kind of status as to my order, which is illegal as hell. They should all be fined by the FTC and rot someplace really warm. You should have heard their smart-ass customer service people with me on the phone. What a buch of a-holes. I hope every one of you cancels your order and seeks another option. Not only was the shipping product nothing like what they showd at MacWolrd in terms of quality, but the audio quality also sucked major donkey. It’s a rip off.

Posted by Griffin H8R on August 29, 2003 at 9:20 AM (CDT)

I wish Apple would make their own FM Transmitter so we don’t have to deal with these guys anymore.  They have been saying it would come out since mid July.  I know this stuff takes time to build, I just wish they said it would be a few months in the beginning instead of always saying it would just be a few more weeks. I have put off buying an Audiax to get this thinking it was right around the corner and am getting quite annoyed that I’ve had to go all this time without being able to listen to my iPod in my car, which is one of the main reasons I bought it.  At this point I think I’ll just buy the Audiax, who knows how much longer the iTrip will be.

Posted by Thomas on August 29, 2003 at 9:25 AM (CDT)

Deal Melangell-

1 CPU G5’s shipped two weeks early Duals shipped on time, DVD Studio Pro shipped early, 3G iPods shipped the day they were announced, iMacs shipped the day they were announced, eMacs shipped the day they were announced, Jaguar shipped on time… I could go on and on… Is that ANYTHING? Do you know ANYTHING?

Posted by whatever on August 29, 2003 at 9:26 AM (CDT)

Dually G5’s shipping on time?? I guess you didn’t get your MacSurfer fix today. Many are reporting their orders being pushed back to 9/28.. IMacs? CRT or flat panel? In both cases, Apple shipped an small number and then the wait began. The same thing happened with the 3G iPods. I did mention that since 1995, but I figure that you are too young to go back that far.

Posted by Melangell on August 29, 2003 at 10:01 AM (CDT)

“TMO Reader Reports Dual His 2 GHz G5 Shipment Delayed Until End Of September” The Mac Observer

“Apple pushes back dual G5 ship date” MacMinute

“Dual G5 Order Est. Ship Dates Slip (even for June 23rd orders)” Accelerate Your Mac! (Read lower for reports of 1 CPU G5’s shipping delays!!)

So… As it has for years, delays continue. Griffin has delivered many many products on time and… as advertised(500 Mhz G4 debacle, anyone).

Posted by Melangell on August 29, 2003 at 10:49 AM (CDT)

it’s an fm transmitter.. not a computer… we’re not talking about some difficult technology… its JUST an fm transmitter. this is beyond ridiculous… but also ridiculous that apple doesn’t have this built in.

i bought this like you others that wanted something nice for summer..driving/boating..

i’d cancel my order but i don’t like the wire of the belkin, and that cendyne gruv-x doesn’t appear to be shipping anymore.. what the hell is going on with transmitters.. microsoft flip a switch somewhere?

besides my itrip all i want is an honest email that says we f-ed up, we like your biz, and please please please don’t cancel your order. what happened to customer appreciation? or is that on hold too?

and as for apple.. they can get away with it becuase they know they’ve got you by the balls… griffin, you’re just hanging by a hair..and while your down there, suck it.

waiting for my happy ending

Posted by todd on August 29, 2003 at 11:14 AM (CDT)

cendyne looks like they are out of business. Website looks that way.. another one bites the dust.

Posted by Reader on August 29, 2003 at 12:59 PM (CDT)

Ignore the Macwhispers review—it contradicts the reports of other reviewers, and was written just after the author was turned down after asking Griffin to work for/with them. In fact, the whole MacWhispers site has turned out to be a scam: it’s published by the owner of its advertisers: MacMice, MacTable, and other questionable ventures, and is purely there to draw attention to those products. The “insider reports” (like all Macs going G5 by the end of 2003) are pure fiction to draw traffic.

With an FM transmitter, getting decent quality depends on finding a clear frequency, which is harder in some areas. Try the following:

1. Download Griffin’s Station Finder.

2. Follow the tips in the included document (even if your on Windows and can’t use Station Finder, the tips are good.)

3. If you are in a cluttered radio area, try lowering or removing your car’s antenna.

For me, FM convenience in a little pod that sticks on the iPod without cables or battery is a great idea.

As for the delays… Griffin is only being “deceptive” if they KNEW the product would be delayed, or should have known, and pretended those delays did not exist. Otherwise, there’s no deception, just bad luck for Griffin AND those who are waiting. (Possibly including me!)

Posted by Ignore MacWhispers on August 30, 2003 at 12:34 AM (CDT)

They still haven’t replied to my email asking them to cancel my order. See this is where the dot com boom went bust, people setting up websites - jumping on the bandwagon - and then not using it properly i.e. like sending emails, replying to emails etc.

Sorry just a personal gripe with these kinda companies

Posted by rare uk on August 30, 2003 at 5:41 PM (CDT)

Guys, I know that it is very easy to blame Griffin for the delay of their product. But, why would any company intentionally delay the release of their product….

As i have said in numerous posts in the forums, (links below) It is not Griffins fault that their product has not yet been released. They can not distribute their product until Apple puts out a new firmware version that will allow the iPod to suply the iTrip with the sufficient voltage it requires.

Think about it, would you want Griffin to release a product that wont yet work with your iPod?

Rare UK, try calling them, or re-send that email… They usually have good service.

PS I do not work for Griffin, but they do make a quality product and it would be a shame if everyone cancelled their orders and held a grudge against a company that is helpless right now…

Links:

Posted by Austin on August 30, 2003 at 7:13 PM (CDT)

So many corporate apologists on this forum.  Personally speaking, I don’t give a damn about the whys or whats behind the fact that Griffin did not fulfill their promised July 21st release date of the 3G iTrip.  They said it would be here and that it wouldn’t be like the one year delay with the original iTrip and yet here we are at the brink of September and still another delay.

No doubt that the iTrip is a cool buggah - neat, slick and compact.  But that means crap if we can’t get one.  A number of customers here have put their purchasing plans on hold pending the release of this unit.  Vacation trips have been spoiled because of Griffin’s failure to fulfill what it stated.

They should do like Apple does with new releases.  Hint about it, allow rumors to fly but don’t say a damn thing about their release until they actually “ship”.

Posted by Mac-A-Matic on August 30, 2003 at 9:40 PM (CDT)

I can’t believe this, how can apple allow this? they should do something… hurry with whatever the reason is for stoping the itrip…

Posted by Re on August 31, 2003 at 10:19 PM (CDT)

What a bunch of whiners.

Posted by Patser on September 3, 2003 at 11:04 AM (CDT)

I like to make my own FM transmitters. It is easy go to radioshack, they can help you

Posted by Zen_Army on September 24, 2003 at 1:06 PM (CDT)

Page 2 of 2 pages  < 1 2