iTrip illegal in UK | iLounge News

iTrip illegal in UK

The iTrip has been deemed illegal in the UK according to AMMICRO, a UK based reseller.

“In the UK FM broadcasts are allocated for the exclusive use of licensed broadcasters. No other systems are permitted to operate within these bands. The UK authorities have allocated all existing analogue FM bands. Therefore, use of the iTrip in any FM broadcasting bands is strictly prohibited.

Use of the iTrip in the UK therefore constitutes an offence and can lead to prosecution of the User, the dealer and the seizure of all iTrips in the UK.”

« iPodSkinz Coming Soon

Register: UK ‘bans’ iPod radio add-on »

Comments

The same laws applies in more European countries, for example Sweden. It’s of course not the iTrip itself that’s illegal to own but the use of it is illegal, so it’s possible to buy in Sweden at some places, although we can’t legally use it smile

Posted by Carl on July 31, 2003 at 8:38 AM (PDT)

How are they going to track this?

Posted by Squibbles on July 31, 2003 at 9:04 AM (PDT)

What are the punishments for such use?

Posted by Pensive Chimp in Hollywood Park, Texas on July 31, 2003 at 9:34 AM (PDT)

yeah right, charge a user in his home.

im sure an itrip wont screw up their precious band

Posted by Stasyna on July 31, 2003 at 9:59 AM (PDT)

hahah how funny

Posted by phester on July 31, 2003 at 11:47 AM (PDT)

i am now i jail because i used my itrip…25 years for it.
all i ask is please dont use your itrip in the uk.
your ok to steal car stereos or do drugs they will let you off that but please dont listen to music.

Ian

Posted by Jailbird on July 31, 2003 at 12:14 PM (PDT)

omg i own an iTrip here, I WANT A REFUND!!!! ggggrrrrrrr

Posted by ti on July 31, 2003 at 12:21 PM (PDT)

Well I’ve got my iPod and iTrip and love to piss off the family next door (lots of small yelling children play ##### music) when I start to pump out loads of Hardhouse tunes all over their station.

And I really doubt that the Police (CPS) would actually take someone to court.  Unless of course you start to broadcast over their Radios.

I gotta admit tho that iTrip is the best addon I have and it’s not going back.

“It’s mine, mine I tell you!”.

Posted by Judda on July 31, 2003 at 12:32 PM (PDT)

My preciousssssssss ;-D

Posted by hellRaven on July 31, 2003 at 2:42 PM (PDT)

“(lots of small yelling children play ##### music) when I start to pump out loads of Hardhouse tunes all over their station. “

Right on! Kids these days keep playing music that I think is absolute garbage and should be wiped from the face of the earth.

Hardhouse rulez! (http://www.di.fm has a very good hardhouse internet radio stream)

Posted by Sraphim on July 31, 2003 at 6:50 PM (PDT)

You still can purchase it even if you live in the UK from the Griffen site right? There’s nothing stopping me from doing that right?

Posted by Rish on August 1, 2003 at 2:54 AM (PDT)

Thought I might have got flamed for being irresponsible with the iTrip, you know so your the ONE who’s made it Illegle.

But you lot are OK, thanlks for the above link… any one got the NEW Lisa Lashes Extra Exetreme Euphoria

Next door with there SMALL LOUD KIDS hate it !

Posted by Judda on August 1, 2003 at 3:19 AM (PDT)

Come and get me, cop’r!

Posted by Obadiah on August 1, 2003 at 4:32 AM (PDT)

I was discussing this issue with a colleague this morning. She mentioned that the CD changer in the boot of their car (bought in the US) relays music to the in-dash stereo on 88.9MHz on the FM dial. They have been driving round the UK for 5 years and haven’t been hauled in front of a judge yet. So I suspect the chances of being nicked for operating an iTrip in the UK are essentially nil.

Posted by David James on August 1, 2003 at 4:35 AM (PDT)

I pre-ordered mine direct from Griffin (3rd gen version).  Hopefully they are still going to ship direct to individuals in the UK ??

Russ.

Posted by Russ on August 2, 2003 at 12:03 AM (PDT)

Bet that’s why the 3rd Gen version is “late” - Griffin must be trying to find a work-around ‘cos I bet Europe is one market they don’t want to miss out on.

Posted by Rich on August 2, 2003 at 4:10 AM (PDT)

i live in the uk and i own an iTrip.

friend brought it over for me as a birthday present!

ha ha

Posted by Dominic Yates on August 4, 2003 at 6:20 AM (PDT)

so has anyone recieved one from griffin yet??

Posted by dk500 in kent, england on September 16, 2003 at 12:37 PM (PDT)

according to ipodsource.com, itrip 3 will be released in Europe on October 10th.

Posted by sarafina in Paris on September 24, 2003 at 12:15 AM (PDT)

This is ludicrous.
PC world still sell the Griffin iTrip and I use one.
I think for it to become illigal to have, the transmitter has to be over a certain wattage…...

Posted by AeroMad on February 11, 2009 at 12:42 PM (PDT)