iTrip Needs More Than Fine-Tuning | iLounge News

iTrip Needs More Than Fine-Tuning

Michael Prager of the Boston Globe has written a review of Griffin’s new iTrip, and despite all we’ve been hearing, it’s not a favorable one…

“In my experience, music from the iPod sent through iTrip too often sounds like it’s being played on an iSock, muffled just enough to be maddening. At its best, fidelity is merely acceptable, but in a moving vehicle, conditions are rarely ideal.”

« Computerlove Poster Design Contest: Win an iPod

Forbes: Gadgets We Love »

Comments

Posted by another itrip hater on October 27, 2003 at 3:39 PM (CST)

...“Seriously… iTrip is a POS. Tunning into the stations suck… and the sound quality is like listening to music underwater.”..

Posted by another iTrip Lover on October 27, 2003 at 4:11 PM (CST)

For what the accessory is for, including price…it works well. I have had nothing but success with this.
And yes the location does matter along with channel availability, but all else aside, it just plain works.
I live in Houston!
2Gen iPod-10gig

Posted by iTripped on October 27, 2003 at 4:16 PM (CST)

Quote:

“This fellows review and comments are about as bright as his spelling. What a POS!!”

“fellow’s”

Posted by Grammar Whore on October 27, 2003 at 5:48 PM (CST)

Face facts the iPod is a low-end mp3 player sold for much higher prices than it deserves. Expanding the dinky iPod with all these overpriced underperfoming gadgets is about as impressive as Asian thug wannabes adding chrome rims and nitrous to their rice burners. Get a real car!

If you want this kind of advanced functionality, get an mp3 player with this stuff built-in! Try the Neuros, it has FM reception and broadcasting.

Posted by Neuros on October 27, 2003 at 6:25 PM (CST)

My 2G 10 GIG iPod and iTrip works great.  No problems here in Pittsburgh on FM station 99.3 (the default setting of 87.9 worked terrible).

Now, the PowerMate from Griffin…that’s the sucky product.  Don’t get one.  It won’t function with the included USB extension cable.  It works with the short attached cable, but IT’S TOO SHORT!

Posted by JJO on October 27, 2003 at 7:26 PM (CST)

Hmm, no Problem at all with my iTrip. Sound Quality is ok, more cant be expected and to be honest, if I want a High-End System, i drive home and take a seat in my living room.
You have to look for a free channel and adjust the volume correctly. Once that is done it should work. By the way, my car doesnt have an extra FM antenna, it uses the rear window heating for that.

Posted by robat on October 28, 2003 at 5:37 AM (CST)

I have a problem with iTrip - it’s a radio transmitter, which means when I drive past construction sites, I often set off explosives and kill people. But really, that’s not as important as the sound quality, so focus on that.

Posted by Matt on October 28, 2003 at 7:49 AM (CST)

How does the new iTrip compare with the Belkin (4-station) transmitter that Apple has been selling?

Posted by Patrick on October 28, 2003 at 8:39 AM (CST)

I use the iTrip on long trips out in the middle of nowhere, but the sound quality is always pretty bad. There is a high pitched ringing that is almost always present nomatter where it is placed (usually goes away when someone holds the pod) and the sound is so hard to settle for. The direct connection or the cassette adapter is a much better option. When buying a new stereo, make sure you have at least CD changer capabilities and then just install (or have a shop do it) the converter kit and run a cable to an inconspicous yet conveinient place.

p.s.  who in the world uses their iPod when drving around the city? having to worry about it everytime you get out of the car is horrible. in the city… i only go CD or radio.

Posted by aaron on October 28, 2003 at 10:18 AM (CST)

I just got my iTrip - after several reminder emails to Griffin. At first, I thought it was going to be RMA’d - really bad reception, static-y, distortion, etc…I’m in Austin, by the way, and there are not a ton of open stations here, either.

Then I started off, doggedly scanning the frequencies and trying out the itrip on each station.  I noticed a couple things right off the bat:

1) having songs with very large ranges in dynamic ranges showed off *poor* frequencies very quickly
2) holding the ipod in my hand (no case) gave a much better signal on poor stations (it was using me as an antenna)
3) putting the iPod in the passenger seat gave a noticeably worse signal (I have an Audi a6) - putting it in the armest compartment (right next to me) gave a much better signal.

After much fiddling with frequencies, I settled on (if I remember correctly) 90.1, which is one of the many frequencies recommended by the itrip station finder, and…I actually get a good signal. Really doesn’t sound very different from my cassette adapter. I’m sure it’s worse than line-in, but it’s definitely more convenient than the cassette adapter.

For quiet songs (mostly jazz), I can sometimes hear a slight whining (sounds like RF from the car), but truly, driving around town, I could not say that it was any worse than the cassette adapter.

Given that once you settle on the station, you don’t have to fiddle with the itrip (other than unplug it/plug it in), it’s pretty convenient - and I’ll use it in both my cars rather than cart around the cassette adapter.

One thing is that power consumption is higher, but I can’t tell if that’s because I was running it with the LED on, or what.

BTW, I am running with volume at around 75%.

Posted by David on October 28, 2003 at 10:08 PM (CST)

On that high-pitched ringing noted by Aaron - I also got that, or major distortion, on pretty much all but a small set of frequencies (in Austin) - but I can say that once I found one, I had no problem. I drove around town for about an hour today on various errands, and it sounded great.

Mind you, this is from someone who was on the verge of returning his iTrip just 24 hours ago.

Posted by David on October 28, 2003 at 10:09 PM (CST)

That sucks that so many people had trouble with it, for my money the iTrip is the best transmitter I’ve had (out of belkin and irok) and the easiest to deal with.  I just took off my car antenna knowing that commercial radio is crap (fuck clear channel) and my itrip sounds great.  Well, must suck to be you guys.

Posted by enfused on October 29, 2003 at 12:55 PM (CST)

One more comment - experimentation seems to be the key. I passed over a bunch of frequencies without explicitly trying them out, because it sounded like there was ‘too much existing static,’ only to find out that once I actually tried the iTrip, those stations worked great.

I’ve found a few more that work well, e.g., 99.3 in Austin, by this kind of experimentation, and I’m now getting a good signal. Only complaints I have are the signal’s a little bass heavy and the increased battery hit.

Posted by David on October 29, 2003 at 2:09 PM (CST)

put bass reducer on your iPod David.

Posted by Jaguares in Bay Area, Ca on October 29, 2003 at 2:45 PM (CST)

iTripped,
What station are you using in Houston? I just bought a iTrip for my 2Gen 10G iPod and get the high pitched whining sound.

Posted by snoopy050 in TX on October 29, 2003 at 7:53 PM (CST)

Received my iTrip two days ago, and was not expecting much due to comments on boards like this. It seems not all are bad, though! Mine works flawlessly in my Subaru Impreza wagon, regardless of position—even put in in my bag in the rear storage area and it sounds fine—no worse than the best FM station over the air, which is to say pretty good. I’ve also been impressed by its range in the house—I can be a full room away from the stereo and it transmits perfectly well. I’m very happy with mine!

Posted by cornelius on October 29, 2003 at 8:42 PM (CST)

Mine also works well.  Before my iTrip (30gig ipod) I used a belkin tunecast.

The iTrip is MUCH better.

Posted by johram on October 30, 2003 at 12:40 AM (CST)

I pre-ordered the new iTrip back in June… Here I am in November and still have yet to receive it or even word that it has shipped yet.

I have been using the Belkin TuneCast since Spring… Worked OK but recently there must be a new radio station nearby and now all four pre-set channels are taken in my area. Sigh.

Posted by Louis in Long Island on November 2, 2003 at 1:13 PM (CST)

damn Luis you need to call them!
I got sick of changing the batteries on the tunecast.

but seriously.
you’ve waited longer than I have.  but I called them and asked what was up.
i think that information (number ) is on the website.

Posted by johram on November 2, 2003 at 2:47 PM (CST)

Page 2 of 3 pages  < 1 2 3 >