iTrip works with iPod mini | iLounge News

iTrip works with iPod mini

By Dennis Lloyd

Publisher, iLounge
Published: Monday, February 23, 2004
News Categories: iPod mini

picMy mother stood in line for an hour and a half at the local Apple Store Friday afternoon so she could be one of the first to get an iPod mini.  She got home and called me to help her understand how it worked.  I decided to bring my iTrip for my 30GB 3G iPod to see if it would work… and it does!  I’ve posted some pictures to show how the iTrip sits on top of the iPod mini for readers to see.

Just follow the directions that come with the iTrip to install the radio frequencies; etc and it will work exactly the same as it does on the 3G iPods.

Editor’s note: Griffin Technology has posted information saying, “The iTrip does indeed work with the iPod mini.”

« Put an iPod in your Pocket PC

Thieves target iPod »

Comments

that is so ugly, it hurts.

Posted by heh on February 23, 2004 at 9:00 AM (PDT)

cool i guess….dont have an iPod Mini tho, i might buy an iTrip, burning music to CDs from my iPod is time consuming and old fashioned, ill just have to get the ammount of 30$...:(

Posted by Ninja Turtle on February 23, 2004 at 9:02 AM (PDT)

May be ugly but it works.

Posted by Randy on February 23, 2004 at 9:28 AM (PDT)

At least I know I can play all my favorite Celine Dion songs in my car using iTrip!

Posted by jeromius in Detroit on February 23, 2004 at 9:30 AM (PDT)

Posted by SofaKingCool on February 23, 2004 at 11:31 AM (PDT)

It’s just a cheap piece of junk that receives the signal from your headphone jack and broadcasts it over a weak fm frequency.”

That is what I was going to say.  I purchased the iTrip and I can barely here the signal coming in.  My car stereo does not have the RCA inputs on the back so I have to use a FM transmitter.  The I returned the iTrip because every station that I tried got a week signal, I even adjusted the volume on my iPod and still nothing.  By the Belkin TuneCast II, it does not use your iPod’s battery and you can buy a car adapter for it and your iPod.

Posted by ipodguy on February 23, 2004 at 12:11 PM (PDT)

“Of course it works, it should also work with CD players and other devices close to a fm receiver with a headphone jack.”

Except it’s not, so it won’t.  Both versions of the iTrip get their power from the device, and both have variants of the special plugs used by Apple to get juice.

Any of the Belkin transmitters and the like that have batteries onboard will work in anything with a headphone jack, though.

Posted by wedge on February 23, 2004 at 12:21 PM (PDT)

I tried the iTrip and after messing with it for 2 hours and couldn’t get it to work, I gave up on it and returned it to Comp USA and got an iCable so I can plug my ipod mini directly into the back of my Sony CDX-M800 receiver.  Yes, I had to order $100 converter that plugs into the back of Sony receivers, but should sound excellent (much better than transmitting over FM radio).

Posted by Scott Powers on February 23, 2004 at 12:25 PM (PDT)

sounds great to mini users

Posted by Ed on February 23, 2004 at 3:27 PM (PDT)

I must say that I bought an iTrip (with my Mini iPod) with some reluctance due to the comments I read here.  However, it has worked extremely well, both in my BMW and in my Honda.  I’ve had only one instance where there was a bit of interference, but that only lasted a few seconds.  Now all I have to do is figure out a way to secure the Mini while I’m driving ‘enthusiastically’.

Posted by dngo on February 23, 2004 at 4:18 PM (PDT)

I wonder if the mini is allowing to iTrip to take more power to use it transmitting a FM singal.  I have the Belkin TuneCast II which uses two separate AAA batteries.  It is kinda bulky but will produce a signal with a range of 30 feet.  I always tick my room mate off (he listens to hip-hop/rap while I listen to metal).  I am using the FM tuner to hook my iPod up to my stereo.  Even though my stereo has the RCA inputs in the back and I have a dock connector.  I am doing this to piss him off.  Anyways I had the iTrip for a few weeks but there was always interference.  The people at the Apple store (which is my university’s book store) advised me not to get a iTrip because they had problems with it themselves.  They advised me to get the belkin, before I also had the Gi Link which wasn’t bad bud the belkin is better.  I think the iPod Mini is allowing the iTrip to use more power from the battery to make a stronger signal.  The only bad thing is that the iTrip does not match the Mini iPod.

Posted by ipod15gb on February 23, 2004 at 7:34 PM (PDT)

my Voice Recroder does not work with my iPod-mini. Will there be firmware that fixes this?

Posted by Alex Rose on February 26, 2004 at 7:20 AM (PDT)

Did the Voice Recorder ever really “work”? To my ears it’s more of a proof of concept than anything else.

Posted by choose skag on February 26, 2004 at 7:41 AM (PDT)

####

Posted by carl on August 20, 2004 at 5:12 AM (PDT)

poop, anal, ####, balls

Posted by carl again on August 20, 2004 at 5:13 AM (PDT)