iTrips in the UK | iLounge News

iTrips in the UK

By Dennis Lloyd

Publisher, iLounge
Published: Saturday, September 20, 2003
News Categories: iPod Accessories

I’ve done some extensive searching and managed to find two UK retailers that stock iTrips. The first one is Alta Technology, and they have stock of iTrips for 1st and 2nd generation iPods. The iTrip for new 3rd generation iPods are not yet shipping. Join the email list to be notified. The second retailer is Everything iPod UK, and they have stock of iTrip for older iPods for £40. The new iTrip (albeit at £43) for new 3rd generation iPods are not yet shipping. Join the email list to be notified. Don’t forget the iTrip is illegal in the UK due to the UK Wireless Telegraphy Act of 1949. You can own one, but you can’t use it.

« RadTech debuts iPodsleevz

The Apple Store: $25 off $249 »

Comments

I doubt they’d actually enforce the law.

Posted by tetro on September 20, 2003 at 5:45 PM (PDT)

How could they… the range is so horrible, who would find out?!  Lol.

Posted by Jerrod H. in TX on September 20, 2003 at 8:55 PM (PDT)

Im getting an ipod for my birthday. And im realy interested in the iTrip for it… I do live in the UK and im wondering does it still work then?
Can you just select any frequency for it to transmit on, not have to select one from some country list? this is how i thought it worked..

Posted by SiMON on September 21, 2003 at 5:45 AM (PDT)

Yes I’m pretty sure that they do work in the UK although I have no practical experience of this. I believe that the software sets up playlists on your iPod which allows you to choose the frequency upon which it broadcasts so you can find a free frequency.

Does anyone know how the 43 (for 3G) from everything ipod compares to ordering direct from USA?

Posted by robroe in Manchester, UK on September 21, 2003 at 11:35 PM (PDT)

Ive a had a itrip for the latest ipods on order since the day Griffin Tech announced them and there is still no sign of it, they even promised shipping by the end of July and then early September…its now almost October.

Posted by Mat M on September 22, 2003 at 1:35 AM (PDT)

me too. Hopefully the product will be better than their customer service.

Posted by Russ on September 22, 2003 at 5:34 AM (PDT)

I got my itrip in July shipped to belgium by ups (total price 65 dollars). now i get a bill from ups this morning asking me for import duties totalling 24dollars… it seems the deal with the EU is that you have to pay import duties on stuff coming from outside…so beware…

Posted by Guy on September 22, 2003 at 5:43 AM (PDT)

Yup I had to pay 7.95 duty on my Marware case.

BTW I might just buy an Audiax transmitter as they are supposed to be very good. I originally ordered the iTRIP 3G, but cancelled due ti the delays and the lack of info on the delays - got no emails informing me of the delays. etc.

Posted by rare uk on September 23, 2003 at 2:14 AM (PDT)

common Griffin when are the itrips going to ship???

Posted by Mat M on September 23, 2003 at 6:09 AM (PDT)

I am not sure if I am allowed to say this but our iTrips will be in around th 10th November for sure. We are pre-ordering now.

Posted by Everything-ipod.co.uk in UK on October 26, 2003 at 10:48 AM (PDT)

I have the latest iTrip for the G3 iPod. Works very well. Have achieved a range of about 25 yards - leaving iPod on at home and driving off in the car.

Had same problem with Customs & Excise - had to pay VAT - about 10 if I remember rightly. Got over that now and love hte little perisher!

Posted by Nikhedonia on December 18, 2003 at 3:53 AM (PDT)

Hoping this isnt against site rules (if so, please delete this post!), but you can get iTrips in the UK from http://shop.ipodworld.co.uk  We will offer a pricematch to anyone who can find them cheaper on another online store.

Posted by Ipodworld.co.uk on October 12, 2004 at 12:01 AM (PDT)

Stick to eBay…relatively cheap, and have quite a few on there.

Posted by AB on October 18, 2004 at 6:38 AM (PDT)

Forgot about this post smile
But i ended up getting my iPod and an iTrip for it too. Although i didnt get it offline and pay some stupid import price, or get it from ebay.
My parents went over to NYC to see my sister and picked me one up from there smile

Winner.. Works a charm as well, always using it.

SiMON

Posted by SiMON on October 18, 2004 at 1:19 PM (PDT)

Forgot about this post smile

Winner.. Works a charm as well, always using it.

SiMON

Posted by SiMON on October 18, 2004 at 1:20 PM (PDT)