It’s true - there are iPod Zombies in NY | iLounge News

It’s true - there are iPod Zombies in NY

By Dennis Lloyd

Publisher, iLounge
Published: Thursday, March 4, 2004
News Categories: iPod

“As I stepped out the front door of my hotel into Times Square, iPod in-hand, I walked into a sea of white headphones. It was really amazing to see how many people were carrying an iPod—it seemed like every second person I saw had the telltale signs of an iPod under their jacket.

I felt like a member of a special, secret club. As you pass by someone with an iPod, they would give you a slight nod—kind of like people that drive motorcycles do when they pass each other on the road. (Okay, maybe I was being a bit sensitive to the amount of iPods I saw, but I swear people were nodding at me as they walked past).”

« “iPod success paves the way for Mac OS X on X86”

iTunes Pepsi bottles coming to Los Angeles »

Comments

You do realise that the iPod is mass produced don’t you ?

Owning the same electronic device as someone else, now matter how many other people have one does not a secret society make.

No-one nods if they see someone with the same Nike shoes do they ?

A lot of people own an iPod, lots of people own Levi’s too…...get over it

Posted by WebBat on March 4, 2004 at 7:16 AM (PDT)

“Get a life!”
(William Shatner)

Posted by elWilly on March 4, 2004 at 7:27 AM (PDT)

I can appreciate this article, I live in Denver and although they are becoming more popular everyday -I still dont see an overwhelming amount of people who own the pod here.  However I visited NYC last December and they were everywhere.  I think the advertising of the pod and itunes is much better in NYC also compared to other cities.  Every subway stop had some type of Ipod ad reference.

Posted by swank79 in Denver on March 4, 2004 at 7:50 AM (PDT)

What surprises me the most is how many people use the crappy white headphones that come with the ipod.

Posted by wickerbill on March 4, 2004 at 7:54 AM (PDT)

have you been to levislounge.com lately?

Posted by Daddo on March 4, 2004 at 7:58 AM (PDT)

i’m with wickerbill… my bose headphones aren’t exactly the highest in audio quality (my gf bought them for me), but i dumped the included iPod headphones with a quickness for something more comfortable.

Posted by eric on March 4, 2004 at 8:35 AM (PDT)

SpideyPod called it the “Pod Nod”. Guess someone else has now noticed it (or imagined it, anyway).

Posted by Dave on March 4, 2004 at 8:59 AM (PDT)

Today I saw a woman on the train with iPod headphones. Right before she got off the train she pulled out the crappy $100 no-name flash player they were plugged into and switched it off. Sad, sad, sad. I’d always assumed people did this, but this is the first time I saw proof.

Posted by Biff on March 4, 2004 at 9:26 AM (PDT)

These “secret society/ipod illuminati/i’m-better-than-you” articles are beginning to get out of hand.  I mean, I love the iPod, but this is starting to border on snobbery if it hasn’t already.

Posted by dfd on March 4, 2004 at 9:31 AM (PDT)

haha LOL… my cousing wants my pod headphones so she can use it for her 64mb mp3 player. smile i’m happy with my MDR EX71s in white.

Posted by XD XD... on March 4, 2004 at 9:32 AM (PDT)

Zombies? Shoot ‘em in the head.

That said, in two weeks I’m heading to New York (no doubt to bask in the glory that comes with being a New Zealander in the States). I won’t have to learn some secret iPod owners only handshake will I? As it is I’m only just getting the hang of using the other popular NY hand gesture…

Posted by Titusgoldfish in Wellington, New Zealand on March 4, 2004 at 9:40 AM (PDT)

They were just head-bobbing to the music. And you have an inflated ego…

Posted by pbox on March 4, 2004 at 9:46 AM (PDT)

some people own ipods, get over it.  nothing special, move along.

Posted by tetro on March 4, 2004 at 9:55 AM (PDT)

How is it a secret society if everyone and their zombie dog is wearing one?

Now if you told me you had a Diamond Rio mp3 player back in 1998, that would make me respect you as some sort of trendsetter. But now you can buy goddam mp3 players in Costco and I can’t take a piss without seeing an iPod advert.

Posted by sheep on March 4, 2004 at 10:08 AM (PDT)

Oh wow- you’re such a unique, cool individual!  You own a mass marketed media player!

Posted by Chupacabra on March 4, 2004 at 10:42 AM (PDT)

I changed my headphones on purpose.  i dont want some fool knowing i have 400 bucks under my jacket.

Posted by storrNYC on March 4, 2004 at 11:04 AM (PDT)

Just because your mp3 player cost as much as a used car doesn’t make you better than me.  I have an iPod, many people on this campus have iPods, and we don’t nod to each other when we walk by.  That’s stupid.  Get over yourselves, and listen to your music.

Posted by Jeremy on March 4, 2004 at 11:59 AM (PDT)

Doesn’t the nod mean: “Cool, we both know what a great machine this is - hasn’t it just spruced up walking around the city so much more than our old discmans?  this won’t last long as soon everyone will have one but until then, I nod to you my fellow groover - and remember, whatever you’re listening to, everyone deserves music”?

Posted by Daddo on March 4, 2004 at 12:07 PM (PDT)

I think they weren’t nodding, they were keeping to the beat of the music!

Posted by vaporland on March 4, 2004 at 12:50 PM (PDT)

I think I’ll surf over to the just-another-mass-produced-media-player lounge and see if those snobs are in denial, also.

Posted by ipod is god on March 4, 2004 at 2:45 PM (PDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >