It’s true - there are iPod Zombies in NY | iLounge News

It’s true - there are iPod Zombies in NY

By Dennis Lloyd

Publisher, iLounge
Published: Thursday, March 4, 2004
News Categories: iPod

“As I stepped out the front door of my hotel into Times Square, iPod in-hand, I walked into a sea of white headphones. It was really amazing to see how many people were carrying an iPod—it seemed like every second person I saw had the telltale signs of an iPod under their jacket.

I felt like a member of a special, secret club. As you pass by someone with an iPod, they would give you a slight nod—kind of like people that drive motorcycles do when they pass each other on the road. (Okay, maybe I was being a bit sensitive to the amount of iPods I saw, but I swear people were nodding at me as they walked past).”

« “iPod success paves the way for Mac OS X on X86”

iTunes Pepsi bottles coming to Los Angeles »

Comments

Hmm…so why are you people *here* if you don’t think you’re in a little “secret society”? This *IS* a site for iPod lovers last time I checked.

Posted by poddite on March 4, 2004 at 7:15 PM (PDT)

I really don’t want to be in any club that would allow me as a member.

Some people are happy to be sheep. I prefer to be a wolf.

Posted by groucho on March 4, 2004 at 10:00 PM (PDT)

Its not a secret club - thats just in the head of an average CrapMac user…

The need to feel special…

Posted by DaK on March 5, 2004 at 4:52 AM (PDT)

Wow groucho what an amazing Mussolini reference. You’re so much smarter than the rest of us. You have no friends cause you’re better than everyone. Yeah thats it.

Posted by Joe Mama on March 5, 2004 at 5:30 AM (PDT)

Posted by storrNYC on March 5, 2004 at 5:33 AM (PDT)

Hey, the bridge near my old neighborhood was a “forum” to allow cars to pass over the creek. It was also a hang out for losers.

>>>i wouldnt call it a site for ipod lovers id prefer call it a forum for ideas and tips, the same as any other gadget forum.

Posted by Just peekin and laughin on March 5, 2004 at 5:52 AM (PDT)

why was it a hang out for losers?

Posted by storrNYC on March 5, 2004 at 5:54 AM (PDT)

Shut the ### up all you pansies. Someone makes a smart remark and all u dweebs have to get all worked up arguing abt BullSHYT. Geez get a life u mofos

Posted by hahaa on March 5, 2004 at 6:24 AM (PDT)

im not really sure of your point.  spending time on here with no point whats that about?

Posted by storrNYC on March 5, 2004 at 6:28 AM (PDT)

“My distaste for these ads stems in part from the fact that, with both the iPod and the diamonds, the marketing gives me a sneaking sense that the product thinks it’s better than me. More attractive, far more timeless, and frankly more interesting, too.”

“Like diamond jewelry, the iPod is designed and marketed to draw attention to itself, and I think (I realize I’m in a minority here) I prefer my consumer goods to know their place. If I did it over, I might opt for an equally functional but slightly more anonymous MP3 player. One that deflects attention instead of attracting it. Because I’m the one with the eternal soul hereit’s my stuff that’s just transient junk.”

Posted by iPod Ego on March 5, 2004 at 10:01 AM (PDT)

sheesh - why do all of you have to be such uptight pricks?

everyone always has to snap quickly and made an ### of themselves. i mean, my god. why do people always have to jump to see THAT’S WRONG or YOU’RE STUPID. couldn’t you just accept an insight when it whacks you in the face instead of jumping to criticize?

but anyway, *laughs*, i always find it hilarious when i’m on the subway and everyone sitting around me takes out their ‘pods. it’s true, we DO smile at each other, because, mass-produced or not, it’s just funny when you’re on the subway and the 3 people sitting next to/across from you all take them out at the same time.

Posted by alison on March 5, 2004 at 11:56 AM (PDT)

id like it if all users were forced to have some sort of ticker to advertise what they are listening to.  oh how i would laugh at all those bad music choices.

Posted by storrNYC on March 5, 2004 at 12:05 PM (PDT)

i just submitted ipod ego’s story… hopefully he did the same before i did.  it’s a neat read.

Posted by hamp on March 5, 2004 at 7:02 PM (PDT)

Jeez. All the original poster was saying was there are a lot of ipods here. He’s right. At any moment on the subway there are people all around you with ipods. Makes for a nice way to get through the city and maintain some personal space, even if it is in your head.

Posted by zingboy in New York City on March 7, 2004 at 9:03 AM (PDT)

You know, if the iPod had a killer remote like the iRiver (with its own mini backlit LCD) then everyone wouldn’t *need* to take out the whole iPod and fiddle with it to manage the playback.

That’s one of the drawbacks of the iPod interface - it demands close attention focussed on the main device and the scroll wheel.

My ideal mp3 player would be a wireless box stashed in my pocket or backpack, some wireless earbuds, and a tiny wireless remote.

This is called “Personal Area Networking”, or PAN.
It’s a Big New Thing…

Posted by iPod remote on March 7, 2004 at 11:10 AM (PDT)

It’s getting even worse.
I read an article a few weeks ago on the wired news site. That Ipod owners are actually starting to stop each other in the streets. Jacking into the other person Ipod for a few seconds listen to there music and then moving on..

Watch what happens to the dick that try’s to pull that #### on me

Posted by NaTaS on March 14, 2004 at 2:27 PM (PDT)

Page 2 of 2 pages  <  1 2