iTube FM transmitter for iPod shuffle announced | iLounge News

iTube FM transmitter for iPod shuffle announced

By LC Angell

Contributing Editor
Published: Friday, August 26, 2005
News Categories: iPod Accessories

imageDigiana has announced the Audia X iTube for the iPod shuffle. The iTube is an all-in-one FM transmitter/dock/charger for using your shuffle in the car.

The unique looking device features two flexible necks and plugs into the cigarette lighter outlet. Your iPod shuffle connects via the USB plug. The iTube’s FM transmitter offers a full frequency range (88.1MHz - 107.9MHz), blue backlit LCD, and a 4 channel preset memory.

Digiana will begin taking pre-orders on Monday at MisticAudio and at Amazon.com. Pricing for the iTube will be $44.99, and the anticipated shipping date is September 19.

« Analyst: Apple may sell 7.1 million iPods this quarter

Ped, Ped2 now available with FireWire/line-out cable »

Comments

Can this be used with a regular ipod by just plugging in the usb cable?

Posted by Matt on August 26, 2005 at 7:08 AM (PDT)

The whole point of the shuffle is that it was ‘small’...these accessories turn something compact into something the size of a tennis racket.

Takes up too much for 1GB of music (in my opinion of course).

Posted by ipododie on August 26, 2005 at 8:38 AM (PDT)

I don’t know that it’s as big as tennis racket, but I do have to wonder just how much of a market there is for something like this. As alluded to, you get a shuffle because either A) you can’t/won’t pay for a more robust DAP, B) you want something very small and lightweight. Neither of those reasons to get a shuffle seem to mesh well with an add-on like this.

Posted by Code Monkey in Midstate New York on August 26, 2005 at 8:56 AM (PDT)

Tennis racket **LOL** IMO the Smartcharge announced by the Sendstation guys a few days ago has just the right size. Hasn’t FM transmission though…

Posted by Exposer on August 26, 2005 at 11:50 AM (PDT)

I believe you’ll be surprised by how small the unit actually is and how flexible it is when it comes to mounting it in the not so user friendly locations that some automobile manufacturers choose to locate their cigarette lighters.

Regarding using it with a regular iPod, you can charge a regular iPod or Mini via USB with this device but cannot play music through it.

Posted by Jeff on August 26, 2005 at 1:10 PM (PDT)

way too big, i dont own a shuffle i have a 20gig 3g but im guessing that the people that buy it want a small cheap way to listen to their music, not the case with this thing

Posted by hoping4vPod on August 26, 2005 at 2:42 PM (PDT)

Now thaaat’s an ugly piece of crap! And clunky too… Still makes up a good weapon for self defense :-D

Posted by Max O. on August 26, 2005 at 8:57 PM (PDT)

I know Apple’s sold plenty of Shuffles, but c’mon…it’s a bloody minimalist flash player. And it’s SQ is less than ideal, certainly of questionable worth to want to subject it to FM transmitting and the additional sonic degradation so often associated with THAT process.

Posted by flatline response on August 27, 2005 at 1:52 AM (PDT)

I have different opinion. I have one iPod 20G and iPod shuffle. Most of time, I use iPod 20G but when I drive to my workplace (only about twenty minutes from home) I carry iPod shuffle with me. Because it’s random playback, it’s nice to have tunes in my car. I was looking for a decent FM Transmitter for iPod shuffle, couldn’t find one yet. One from Xtremac has no goose neck, so I didn’t choose it. I guess iTube has it’s own goose neck style cradle, it could be my candidate. Sound quality would be the key point.

Posted by Mike Lee on August 27, 2005 at 8:44 AM (PDT)