iTunes 4.5 cripples DRM-stripping apps | iLounge News

iTunes 4.5 cripples DRM-stripping apps

“According to a handful of very preliminary reports, it appears that new Mac OS X code, which is included as part of the iTunes 4.5 installer, cripples the vast majority of DRM-removing applications that have surfaced in recent weeks.

“I just downloaded the freebie song from iTunes, by the Foo Fighters, and when I tried to pass it through iMovie or FairTunes, I received an error message stating that my computer was not authorized to play the song,” one iTunes user said.”

« Apple disables iTunes song-swapping tool

inMotion Adapter for iPod mini now available »

Comments

Upgrade for imovie 4.0.1

Posted by David Geddis on April 28, 2004 at 5:18 PM (CDT)

I couldn’t get the free song on the Foo Fighters!?!?  Does anyone know how it works?  It just brings up the Foo Fighters album.  Thanks!

Posted by Zach on April 28, 2004 at 5:58 PM (CDT)

So, is it a change with the operating system, or is it i change with the file format itself? If its really something Apple did to OSX, then that means that on LInux and other UNIX-like operating systems, PlayFair should still work.

Other than that, I don’t see how they can alter the file format without having some serious compatibility issues.

Posted by Sraphim on April 28, 2004 at 6:03 PM (CDT)

I downloaded the new iTunes 4.5 and now half of my Beatles songs won’t play on my iPod or copy to it. I get an error saying they can’t be played. Yet I could play them before the update!

Posted by justshane24 on April 28, 2004 at 6:16 PM (CDT)

Zach, the song will be highlighted and costs $0.00 just click “Buy Song” and you will have to agree to the new way the iTunes music store works and then it will take you back and you can purchase it for free.

Posted by iBookiPod on April 28, 2004 at 6:50 PM (CDT)

I figured out the problem. All you have to do is reformat the songs to AAC format through iTunes.
———————————————————-

Posted by justshane24 on April 28, 2004 at 7:10 PM (CDT)

My Beatles music still plays, as does music from sources other than the iTunes music store.  But here’s a question: when you publish an iMix do you have to only have songs you’ve purchased from the music store?  I have a mix of songs that people compiled for a show, but the songs are from a mish-mash of CDs and who knows where else What happens if you publish a list of songs that the iTunes store doesn’t have to sell?

Posted by The Tag on April 28, 2004 at 7:53 PM (CDT)

Answers:

Foo Fighters: Free tracks work like any other song—you must “buy” it for $0. When you click the banner, it takes you to the album, but the song in question is pre-selected. If you lose track of which song it was, just notice the price: $0.0. Click Add Song or Buy Now. You’ll even get an email receipt for $0 and $0 tax :)

iMix: When you publish an iMix containing songs not present in the iTunes store, they simply don’t show up in the store. The rest of the mix does. Also, if you include songs that you ripped from CD, but which ALSO exist in the iTunes store, those songs DO show in the iMix. iTunes figures that out.

Posted by Nagromme on April 28, 2004 at 10:28 PM (CDT)

“So, is it a change with the operating system”

It’s a change in the network protocol, the hand-off keys. As a by-product, you can’t share libraries between different versions of iTunes - upgrade one machine you will feel compelled to up them all.

This is kind of like what MS do with their Office product - tweaking each version with minor file format changes so users (love that terminology!) have to get the latest version as more and more files arrive that are unreadable.

I noticed that Apple also unilaterally changed their DRm terms, more auth’d machines, less CD burns.

Imagine in a few years when the RIAA compels them to change the terms to a single atuh’d machine and no burns without paying. Dismiss it now but it could happen - this is after all vendor-controlled DRM. They can do whatever the hell they want with “your” music, because you don’t own it, have no rights to modify it, and only listen to it on Apple’s sufferance.

I’ll stick with mp3, thanks. Live free or die.

Posted by networking on April 28, 2004 at 10:35 PM (CDT)

When I first tried to download the free Foo Fighters song, I was getting a strange error message (error -50 I think..).  It might be because everybody and their dog is trying to download it though.  I was able to download it after I waited a few minutes.

Also, something else that may nor not be relevant to purchased songs no longer working after updating to iTunes 4.5 (on Windows XP):

When I bought my 40GB iPod last week I could play music or audio books that I bought earlier just fine on my computer, but couldn’t sync them to my iPod.  Today after updating to 4.5, the same problem happened.  The only difference is that my puchased music and audio books wouldn’t play on my computer either.

What I did to fix it:

a)  Attach your iPod to your computer (I’m using Firewire, but USB2.0 should work the same way).
b)  If it isn’t running, start iTunes.
c)  Click ADVANCED -> DEAUTHORIZE COMPUTER.
d)  Select the DEAUTHORIZE COMPUTER FOR MUSIC STORE ACCOUNT radio button (if it isn’t already selected) and click OK.  iTunes will then ask you to confirm.

Once that’s done, try to play a purchased song that wouldn’t play before.  iTunes will then ask you if you’d like to authorize the computer to play the file.  Go through the prompts to authorize the computer.  I’m going to go out on a limb and say that if your iPod isn’t attached while you do this, it won’t get authorized to sync your music to it, so LEAVE IT ATTACHED while you do this!

You should now be able to play all the music and audio books you purchased from the iTunes store, and be able to sync them to your iPod.  When Apple releases a new version of iTunes you may have to go through this again though.

I’ve done this twice, and it does work for me.  Your mileage may vary though.

Posted by Ballistyx on April 28, 2004 at 10:57 PM (CDT)

I upgraded 3 machines (2 WinXP, 1 Win 2K server) and two iPods (1 3rd Gen, 1 2nd Gen) with a mix of songs (iTunes purchases, P2P DL’s, Self ripped, AAC, AAC w/Fairplay, MP3) and have not had a single hiccup/issue/un-playable song out of my very large library.

Of course some may exist since it is impossible to have listened to all my music in 2 days but so far it has been seamless.

Posted by no problems on April 29, 2004 at 9:40 AM (CDT)

FWIW… Someone has already broken the changed protection. No real surprise there.

I wish I had that kind of free time on my hands… :)

Posted by Dave on April 29, 2004 at 12:12 PM (CDT)

the change that disables playfair and others is to the file format - I upgraded to 4.5, downloaded the free song, and couldn’t use playfair on it.  However, I still have backups of my other purchased music, and playfair still works on those protected AAC files.

The networking protection is a different beast, and that was what was just re-broken, by a guy who wanted to listed to iTunes shares on his linux machine.  It’s not a re-breaking of the AAC protection - that’s still broken with this new file format

Posted by riverwind on April 29, 2004 at 4:34 PM (CDT)