iTunes 4.7 disables iPodDownload | iLounge News

iTunes 4.7 disables iPodDownload

According to Engadget, iTunes 4.7 disables iPodDownload, the iTunes plug-in that allows users to transfer songs from any iPod to your iTunes library. Apple allows an iPod to be associated with only one iTunes music library at a time in order to prevent the device from being used to transfer songs to any Mac.

« The iPod Vote

iPod Halloween costumes »

Comments

Wow. What a bunch of crap. I understand where they are coming from, but at the same time, they didn’t have to do this, and I don’t think they should have.

I thought it worked just fine before. Most people figured that you couldn’t get music from your iPod to your computer, and those who really wanted to, would find a loophole. It seems those loopholes still exist, but it’s too bad that Apple felt they needed to start a war against it.

Posted by Awesome-O on October 31, 2004 at 9:20 PM (PDT)

well. as a company who commits to copyright laws, its apple’s duty.

Posted by lol on October 31, 2004 at 9:40 PM (PDT)

I can appreciate the sentiment, but it seems foolish to me.  The record companies can’t restrict what happens with a CD once its purchased, why should mp3/AAC encoded songs be any different?  Once the money is payed, ownership is transferred.  Restricting what one does with their property is a very grey area.  And when all is said and done, an updated version of iPodDownload will come out in short time with a fix anyway.

Posted by quadraphonic in alberta | canada on October 31, 2004 at 10:28 PM (PDT)

Jeez people. Think before you write, will ya.. This disabling business has nothing to do with copyright, ownership, or bringing iPod songs back to the harddisk. The lounge here is full of software that transfers iPod songs back to the Mac and PC. Apple has no problems with that. None, nada. They just don’t want iPodDownload to use the iTunes plug-in format. If the developer makes a seperate app out of it instead of a plugin we can all be happy again if we want to. I personally prefer the very fast and very free Senuti (great name!) or the heavy-duty iPodRip (not so free). The very well equiped Senuti is not mentioned here in the sofware section (where it should be), but you can download it at http://wbyoung.ambitiouslemon.com/senuti/

Posted by Ton010 in Thesinge on October 31, 2004 at 11:23 PM (PDT)

I agree with Ton0101 - Apple disabled it because they don’t want people thinking it’s a part of iTunes. They don’t care what third-part apps do, which there are a bazillion of that do this same thing, and better. I don’t think a new version of iPodDownload will be coming out. Apple contacted the guy’s web host to take it down originally!

Posted by kainjow on November 1, 2004 at 3:52 AM (PDT)

the multi plugin also doesnt work
i need it
i use it to use my multimedia keys when iTunes isn’t on top

Posted by Dbster in Georgia on November 1, 2004 at 4:51 AM (PDT)

An update that actually removes fuctionality.  I would hope that you could trust an apple update.  But now I will have to check every update carefully before installing.
Apple could for example distribute an Ipod update that removed mp3 playback.  This would protect copyright interests at the cost of usability.  A trade-off they seem willing to make.

Posted by __redruM in Gaithersburg, MD on November 1, 2004 at 5:21 AM (PDT)

Ha ha, listen to yourself redrum. It doesn’t remove functionality of iTunes at all, because iTunes doesn’t come shipped with that ability. Actually read what the article, and what other posters have said, and you will realise that it’s because it abuses the plugin ability. Especially seeing as its for something they strongly feel about.

As stated, you can still get other 3rd party apps, but because this one goes against the purpose of iTunes they disabled it.

And to compare to removing mp3 playback is just downright stupid. Apple assume that you legally ripped your CDs (which you did right?) into any format that the iPod copes with, so why would they remove it? Especially seeing as it’s called an mp3 player

Posted by silver_haze on November 1, 2004 at 5:49 AM (PDT)

use ephpod, a trillion times better than iTunes anyway

Posted by djl236 on November 1, 2004 at 5:50 AM (PDT)

Silver, iPodDownload users did actually loose fuctionality, when(if) they updated.

Though my mp3 example is extreme, apple is moving toward this in little steps.  They have been very vocal in their support of DRM. No since in arguing, give it 5 years, and we’ll see if mp3 isn’t phazed out in favor of protected AAC.

Posted by __redruM in Gaithersburg, MD on November 1, 2004 at 6:16 AM (PDT)

I know! There is plenty of stuff out there you can still use. I use a simple interface that uses a few commands in UNIX that simply copy the music files, or any others you might have, from your iPod to your computer’s hard drive. Sure you may have to drag and drop whatever you port to iTunes, but it still works, and since it’s not integrate with iTunes, they’re not going to disable it. That’s the beauty of it.

Posted by Dan_B in Columbia, MO on November 1, 2004 at 6:37 AM (PDT)

I bought an iPode because I was tired of all the hoops that I had to jump though to use my Archos with music from iTunes.  Can you say dozens of useless CDs?  Or software to do questionable things.  I have no problem with Apple doing what they do because I use my iPod exactly as they intend for me to use it.  If you want to use it in a different fashion there are other options for you.  Sony, Archo, Creative Labs?  I know that Apple will adjust it’s software over time, as long as it keeps working for me paying for music and listening to it I am happy.  Now if they do something to break Ipodder I will be miffed.

Posted by Lee Ragans in Atlanta on November 1, 2004 at 9:56 AM (PDT)

here’s how to reenable iPod Download in iTunes 4.7:

Posted by phlex in Pennsylvania on November 2, 2004 at 9:59 AM (PDT)

Just to point out a few things that haven’t been, Apple is in a sense “forced” to disable such things as iPodDownload.  If distribution continues, they will disable it again next release.  Same thing goes for myTunes and ourTunes, which allow you to copy music via iTunes music sharing (although the open-source aspect of ourTunes protects it a little more).  Why are they forced?  Because if there is any indication that Apple supports illegal file sharing, they could get into a lot of trouble.

That being said, Apple is in no way against third party applications that do exactly the same thing as iPodDownloader.  The format of the iTunesDB file, the file that stores all of the information about the songs on your iPod has not changed since the first generation of iPods.  In fact, it was specifically engineered for expandibility, leaving empty spaces in which more information can be added in the future.  Apple has the ability to cut everyone off extremely quickly by encrypting that database file, which they actually did with iTunes in version 4.5 (I don’t know why, though).  They haven’t, though, and with two new generations of iPods released since I parsed the database on my iPod, and multiple updates to the iPod software, there has not been the slightest of changes.

Posted by laxwy on November 3, 2004 at 7:59 PM (PDT)

“Because if there is any indication that Apple supports illegal file sharing, they could get into a lot of trouble.”

Apple is like Tivo, the moment any corporation says “Bend Over” Apple says “How Far?” and lubes up, shafting consumers without any regard. Sure Apple plays a nice tune with fancy adverts extolling its “rebellious” nature and, by imputation, of its consumers, but this is just vainglorious hyping of a delusional lifestyle.

I admire companies with a little more spirit, who make an effort to leave moral decisions in the hands of the purchasers of their devices: ReplayTV, iRiver, Archos, Neuros.

Smaller companies like these don’t focus on hyping their “freedom” through marketing, they simple build it straight into their devices. Their attitude to personal freedome and choice is expressed in the lack of silly DRM, invisible directories, or deliberate disabling of third-party functionality.

Code is law.

Posted by Demosthenes on November 4, 2004 at 11:04 AM (PDT)

fdsyg

Posted by Metin on June 15, 2005 at 4:24 AM (PDT)

wery gut

Posted by metin on June 15, 2005 at 4:36 AM (PDT)

Hey Im just wondering if there is anyway I can still find ipod download My computer crashed and i cant get it anywhere if you could send it to me that would be way cool.
.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

Posted by thisguy on October 25, 2008 at 11:33 AM (PDT)