iTunes 6.0.2, QuickTime 7.0.4 released | iLounge News

iTunes 6.0.2, QuickTime 7.0.4 released

By LC Angell

Contributing Editor
Published: Tuesday, January 10, 2006
News Categories: iTunes

Apple has quietly released iTunes 6.0.2 and QuickTime 7.0.4. According the brief release notes accompanying the updates, iTunes 6.0.2 includes “stability and performance improvements over iTunes 6.0.1,” while QuickTime 7.0.4 delivers “numerous bug fixes, support for iLife ‘06, and H.264 performance improvements.”

« Apple posts Macworld Expo keynote stream

Apple unveils iPod Radio Remote, other accessories »

Comments

This story demands more information because 6.02 adds SEVERAL new features including a major one, built in conversion of video to H.624 iPod standards.

Posted by canyonblue737 on January 10, 2006 at 2:52 PM (PDT)

Also, support for multiple speakers using airtunes.

Posted by Borat on January 10, 2006 at 3:44 PM (PDT)

and context sensitive music store info in your library screen

Posted by canyonblue737 on January 10, 2006 at 4:24 PM (PDT)

I can’t believe this update’s not getting more press.  I’ve been waiting a long time for related artist info. based on what I own/play.  This frees me from tons of other software reading my itunes library or asking me to rate artists, etc.  So simple.  Look at what I have and tell me things you think I’d like.  Nirvana.

Posted by Brad on January 10, 2006 at 9:27 PM (PDT)

How do you turn off the “ministore” (preferably without getting rid the store in the source list)?

I don’t want Apple shoving their store down my throat, especially since their songs are overpriced and of poor quality. The ministore is equivilant to having ads in iTunes.

The recommendations are horrible, too—I don’t want Yellowcard, Thursday, or the Strokes disgracing my music library.

Posted by idiosyncratic on January 10, 2006 at 9:27 PM (PDT)

idiosyncratic-

Edit>> Hide Ministore

Posted by WldKt in United States on January 10, 2006 at 10:03 PM (PDT)

Installed the new update, now the sound goes missing from my video’s, have reinstalled multiple times, has this happened to anyone else? Fixes?

Posted by Deborah Klich on January 10, 2006 at 10:30 PM (PDT)

Still no TV shows for Canada :(

Posted by David on January 10, 2006 at 11:44 PM (PDT)

The built-in iPod video conversion definitely should have been included with the first release of iTunes 6, but better late than never.

I’m glad I checked these comments to find out how to disable the MiniStore. This happy owner of three iPods, and iTunes user since the day it was released for Windows almost took the drastic measure of uninstalling iTunes. Thanks fellow iLoungers!

Posted by Muéro on January 11, 2006 at 12:15 AM (PDT)

Hey I’ve just noticed that we can actually set the VIDEO KIND tgo TV SHOW now…

Whey… Time for some adjustments in iTunes then smile

Posted by XOR on January 11, 2006 at 6:19 AM (PDT)

There are other, troubling issues of privacy in this release.  See this piece on BoingBoing:

As for turning off the mini-store, idiosyncratic, there’s also an added widget at the bottom of the screen like the one that hides album artwork that will turn it off.

Posted by Christopher on January 11, 2006 at 9:01 AM (PDT)

I didn’t know about the built in converter.  That’s great news.  I’ll have to try it later.

I did change some of my videos to TV SHOW instead of movie and now they don’t appear in the TV Show playlist.  They were previously listed in the Movie playlist.  The only ones that show up in the TV Show playlist are the ones that I have downloaded from iTunes.  I can still find the videos by going into the Recently Added playlist though.  Has anyone else had this issue?

Posted by Jeff on January 11, 2006 at 9:10 AM (PDT)

@idiosyncratic
“I don’t want Apple shoving their store down my throat”

I dont want you shoving your whining down my throat. Why don’t you do what any normal parson would do - search through the options and turn it off.

Posted by Matt Tilda on January 11, 2006 at 5:16 PM (PDT)

I’ve downloaded the update and it’s running fine, but I’m not seeing the option to select multiple speakers. When I click on the speaker selection, I see each Airport Express listed individually, along with “computer” as a sound output option, but I’m not getting any choice for multiple speakers. Anyone have any tips on what I can do to remedy this?

Posted by Cliff Biggers on January 12, 2006 at 10:26 AM (PDT)

stfu up tilda.  I searched through the preferences and couldn’t find anything, so I searched for it just as the above gentleman did.  Quit being a toolbag.

Posted by dan on January 13, 2006 at 1:41 AM (PDT)

Deborah,

Same problem here i have just download last night the new version of iTunes and when i right click a video file and select convert to ipod, the converted file comes out with NO SOUND!!! also takes too much time to encode(40mins. to encode a 4mins. video).

Posted by Gustavo López on January 13, 2006 at 9:23 AM (PDT)