iTunes 7 announced with movie downloads, new features | iLounge News

iTunes 7 announced with movie downloads, new features

image

Apple today released iTunes 7, which, as widely expected, brings full-length movie downloads to the iTunes Store. (As noted earlier today, Apple has apparently dropped the word “Music” from the store’s name.) Apple is currently offering over 75 movies from Walt Disney Pictures, Pixar, Touchstone Pictures and Miramax Films.

Movies will become available on the iTunes Store the same day they are released on DVD, with new releases priced at $12.99 when pre-ordered and during their first week of availability, and $14.99 thereafter, and library titles available for $9.99 every day. After purchased, movies can be watched on an iPod or computer, or on a TV with the company’s forthcoming “iTV” device. With iTunes 7, all videos purchased from the iTunes Store now come in “near-DVD quality” resolution of 640x480 (up from 320x240).

iTunes 7 also includes gapless music playback, expanded parental controls, an iTunes video playback window with on-screen controls, and new sorting features, including new album and Cover Flow views of music, TV shows and movies, “enabling users to quickly find titles in their library as well as casually browse through and re-discover titles they already own.”

Movies currently offered include “Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl,” “Shakespeare in Love,” “The Princess Diaries,” “The Incredibles,” “National Treasure,” “Toy Story,” “The Rock” and “The Rookie.” As previously noted, iTunes 7 also add video game downloads for fifth-generation iPods, including “Tetris,” “Mahjong” and “Mini Golf” from Electronic Arts; “Pac-Man” from Namco; “Cubis 2” from FreshGames; “Bejeweled” and “Zuma” from PopCap Games; and “Texas Hold’em” and “Vortex” developed by Apple, all available for $4.99 each.

« Apple unveils all-new iPod nano with aluminum design

Apple announces new ultra-tiny iPod shuffle »

Comments

Here’s to hoping that gapless playback will work on on all iPod’s, not just the 5.5g ipod and the 2g Nano.  Can anyone verify this?

Posted by amblue on September 12, 2006 at 3:26 PM (CDT)

I just downloaded iTunes 7 and installed (updated it).  Once installation was finished, I receive the error “The iTunes application could not be opened.  An unknown error occured (0x666D743F).”  An unisntall and re-install hasn’t fixed this…can anyone help?

Posted by Tim on September 12, 2006 at 3:40 PM (CDT)

Notice the “itunes phone driver” on the customised install… :)

Posted by TB on September 12, 2006 at 3:41 PM (CDT)

Works on my 1g nano.

Posted by jake9945 on September 12, 2006 at 3:43 PM (CDT)

I’m diggin’ the new iTunes layout.  Small problems that I’m already seeing though…

*Can’t add album art to songs ALREADY on the iPod.

*iTunes doesn’t display videos and movies that are on the iPod.

*The spiffy little album flippy-view thing can’t be used to browse songs on the iPod.

Other than those few quirks that I’ve noticed right off, iTunes 7 seems to be a solid product.

Anyone know what the file sizes are for the new movies?

Posted by Matt on September 12, 2006 at 3:49 PM (CDT)

Tim, you’re not alone.  I got the same error.  I haven’t been able to fix it yet as I had to go to class.  I was able to install it without problems on my laptop and I’m so very happy they’ve finally added the ability to browse using album art as well as letting you add album art from within iTunes.  I’ve been asking for the album art browse for over a year now and I think looks and works great.  Thanks Apple for listening.  Now, if I could only get iTunes 7 to work on my desktop…
Tim, did you recieve your error on a Windows or Mac machine? Mine is Windows…

Posted by Brett on September 12, 2006 at 4:07 PM (CDT)

I’m very impressed - some artwork hasn’t downloaded yet, but I can’t tell if that’s just a matter of time. It’s not great that the cover flow doesn’t work with the iPod, but hey, before now I didn’t even know about or want cover flow, so I guess it’s a fun bonus on iTunes.

I’m confused about gapless playback - this has been my biggest complaint about the iPod (other than not having folders). Can I now download software for my iPod to use gapless playback, or is this only for the iTunes player? My iPod is plugged in, but iTunes says it is up to date.

Posted by Ian Jackson on September 12, 2006 at 4:10 PM (CDT)

Anyone else found that Cover Flow seperates up your albums if you have more than one artist? One soundtrack I have has 19 songs, this is split into 16 albums as Cover Flow doesn’t understand! Otherwise, nice update - remember position can now be selected for multiple tracks - HURRAH!!

Posted by Stewart McKane on September 12, 2006 at 4:26 PM (CDT)

I can’t get my music to actually play in the new iTunes. That’s a small issue

Posted by Dev Lutchman on September 12, 2006 at 4:49 PM (CDT)

iTunes 7 works here and Album Cover View is nice but there is one thing that really disappoints me, iTunes Controls have changed to what in my View makes iTunes the most ugly Application ever executed on a Mac (including XCalc und X-Windows) the worst thing here are the ugly new scrollbars, now iTunes is the only native OS X Application that doesn’t have blue-marble scrollbars…

Together with the colors in the left bar which do not even try to match anything on the system it really just doesn’t look like a OS X application.

Posted by Niklas Schnelle on September 12, 2006 at 5:28 PM (CDT)

Adventures in gapless playback… so far, not so good.

iTunes7 “converted” my library to what should and shouldn’t be gapless.

Most of it is classical.

First play post-automatic conversion… nothing.

I manually converted an album to gapless playback.

There is still a gap.  It may be a different quality of gap—but the digital dropout still exists.

Is anyone else experiencing this?

I’m also finding that the commands to delete downloaded artwork and to find artwork are not immediately successful.

Posted by Jim on September 12, 2006 at 6:10 PM (CDT)

‘Night. I can’t download iTunes 7, the page seems to be down or something. Possible heavy traffic? Anyone had this problem? JJ in Mexico

Posted by JJ on September 12, 2006 at 8:57 PM (CDT)

I also can’t download Itunes 7. There’ is no place to click to actually download and I’m getting frustrated here. I REALLY WANNA PLAY SOME FREAKIN TETRIS ON MY IPOD!!!!!!!

Posted by Jonathan on September 12, 2006 at 9:23 PM (CDT)

“With iTunes 7, all videos purchased from the iTunes Store now come in “near-DVD quality” resolution of 640x480 (up from 320x240).”

Does this mean that I should have waited to buy the episode of LOST that I purchased last night to get the higher resolution? Eg. Are all “older” videos NOW in a higher res?

Posted by aaronsuspect on September 12, 2006 at 11:35 PM (CDT)

Is anyone else having problems watching Video podcasts on their computers since upgrading all I get is green squiggles and audio.

Posted by jedwbpm on September 13, 2006 at 8:42 AM (CDT)

Does anyone know if iTunes 7 will work with Win 2003? (as I have all my music on my server, which I then use for streaming to other devices around the house).

I know v6.0.4 stopped all this working, whereas earlier versions of 6 did work on Win2003.

Posted by Al Lines on September 13, 2006 at 9:03 AM (CDT)

My experience of gapless has been flawless so far, on my iPod (haven’t tested on iTunes, but it’s my iPod that concerned me most) - listened to Prince’s Lovesexy (originally a one-track CD, then tracked, leading to gaps), and there was absolutely no gap or drop-out between tracks. This is what I have wanted for a long time!

Posted by Ian Jackson on September 13, 2006 at 9:15 AM (CDT)

Hey! is anyone have problem with gapless library conversion. iTunes 7 automatically convert my library to gapless playback compatible. Now whe n I play the song it automatically play the next song by gapless and itunes skip the song when it playing (it’s like song is corrupted or something). But when I play the same song by stop the itunes and play it again it plays normally.

Posted by Dusshyi on September 13, 2006 at 9:34 AM (CDT)

Pretty happy with the overall product, but one significant problem.  I run on both Windows and Mac machines.  It works fine with Windows.  However, on my Macs the “Do not disconnect” warning pops up like normal, but the iPod is never actually recognized by the machine.  I eventually had to just disconnect after letting it run all night.  Anyone else see this yet?  Thanks.

Posted by Kevin on September 13, 2006 at 1:04 PM (CDT)

I seem to have gapless playback on my nano but unfortunately not clickless. I’d expected a control on the nano to choose whether I want gapless or non-gapless like on iTunes but I can’t find anything.

iTunes 7 also wants me to upgrade to Outlook 2003 before it will synch my Contacts!

Posted by Andrew C (UK) on September 13, 2006 at 4:12 PM (CDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >