iTunes 7 causing headaches for some users | iLounge News

iTunes 7 causing headaches for some users

image

Almost immediately after Apple released iTunes 7 last week, bug reports started surfacing from users on both Mac OS X and Windows. Apple’s discussion boards and iLounge’s forums are both currently host to a number of complaints about the issues—which range from application crashes to audio problems—and the company recently began posting support documents to address some of the bugs. In a related issue, iTunes 7 users are also experiencing problems with getting purchased music working on the iTunes-ready Motorola ROKR and SLVR phones. According to numerous accounts, songs purchased from the iTunes Store will not play on the devices, even though CD-ripped tracks will. Meanwhile, AppleInsider claims that Apple is “well aware of the matter and that it’s toiling feverishly to rectify the issues.” The website claims that Apple hopes to release an update, presumably iTunes 7.0.1, as soon as possible.

« Nike+iPod runners log over 1 million miles

Belkin debuts new cases for iPod nano, 5G iPod »

Comments

Did they even beta it? That’s the only way to iron out bugs. But that wouldn’t be dramatic enough though, would it?

Posted by Liam on September 20, 2006 at 5:10 PM (CDT)

Bugs on windows xp, no desktop icon for quicktime and itunes, audio breaking up broken file associations, also getting rid of the dedicated music video link in itunes 7 is very annoying, having the music video’s lumped under music only makes it difficult to find them i hope that apple puts this option back.I’m also in two minds as wether the music sounds worse coming from the ipod, sometimes it can sound quite harsh which i had’nt noticed before on songs that i’ve heard many times.

Posted by Steven Bates on September 20, 2006 at 5:10 PM (CDT)

I am having problems withe album art.  It seems to disappear, it sometimes refuses to to get album art.  I have not had any other problems.

Posted by Black Beauty on September 20, 2006 at 5:12 PM (CDT)

I have the same distortion problem. Sometimes pausing the song, muting and unmuting the computer’s volume and hitting play again works.

Posted by Michael P. on September 20, 2006 at 5:33 PM (CDT)

Have over 10,000 tracks with music from 893 cds all with the Cd art, and a few pictures, my address book and I sync my calender. Changing to iTunes 7 was completely transparent. Sound is great. I use an old Mini with all the upgrades. No problems! A little slow at times but not more so. I don’t have any “third party” software or plugins. My only bitch is that in Canada, THERE IS NOTHING ON iTUNES TO BUY
regards: JA

Posted by john albert on September 20, 2006 at 5:39 PM (CDT)

I can no longer burn CD’s no matter what what program I use.  I thought that both of my burners had died at the same time until I read this.

No other problems on my PC as of yet.

Posted by Glyoung on September 20, 2006 at 5:45 PM (CDT)

The sound problem can be fixed by going to control panel, quicktime, then the “sound” tab, and changing the value there to 16bit not 24(i think thats what it is, its the option one lower than the current one)

Posted by frogger on September 20, 2006 at 8:31 PM (CDT)

I honestly had NO problems. Works perfect for me. I don’t know whats up.

Posted by Andrew Horn on September 20, 2006 at 9:03 PM (CDT)

iTunes 7 not seen my iPod, Windows XP Pro does… So, I can’t update the firmware… Great choice Apple…

Posted by spky on September 20, 2006 at 10:05 PM (CDT)

My main issue is importing cd’s takes FOREVER…very slow…VERY…

Posted by jay Toole on September 20, 2006 at 11:15 PM (CDT)

I noticed sometimes it flashes an image of a woman’s boob in the top right corner.  Weird.  When are they gonna fix this?

Posted by Henry VIII on September 21, 2006 at 12:59 AM (CDT)

I haven’t had any real problems at all. I did notice not being able to add album art to a bunch of songs at once, but it’s only annoying and I don’t have to use it that often anyway. Everything else has been smooth sailing.

Posted by Joshdude in Long Beach, CA on September 21, 2006 at 2:34 AM (CDT)

i havent had a problem with iTunes 7…..yet, it recognises my nano fine and i can see no major problems- maybe i’m a lucky one!

To “a3rdleg”:
get a life! its ridiculous to think there are going to be lawsuits over this! software with bugs happens (all be it rarely with apple’s software), if there were lawsuits everytime a buggy version of software was released microsfot would have gone bust years ago!

Posted by SK86 on September 21, 2006 at 3:10 AM (CDT)

Despite how much I tell my wife how important it is that I constantly sort and list and rate and organize my iTunes Library, their really isn’t a value loss that can be accounted for.

That’s not entirely true. iTunes IS the authorized software that does handle AAC and iTMS; if it doesn’t work and Apple DOESN’T repair the problems, then I could see a lawsuit being justifiable despite being ‘free’, especially considering that Apple regards iTunes as the only  viable means of managing your iPod.

HOWEVER…that being said there’s no reason to believe that Apple WON’T address the problems that iT7 is currently having. Certainly, PROVING that Apple hasn’t done reasonable due dilegence in releasing buggy software will be tough, since not everyone is having the same problems, and quite a few have said that they’ve experienced no issues whatsoever.

But as someone else posted earlier, this release does seem more like something MSFT would prematurely let loose into the wild than what Apple has done in the past (although I recall one or two versions of iT5 were pretty bad as well).

Posted by flatline response on September 21, 2006 at 5:16 AM (CDT)

I have been very fortunate so far.  I have not noticed any problems with my upgrade to v.7 on my aging Pentium 4 with XP Pro.  I must qualify that though as I do not demand a lot from my 60GB Ipod Video.  I load my own artwork to each song(yes, I do have time on my hands) and use it mostly for my CD collection(using apple lossless).
The offering of gapless playback was the one feature I have really been concerned about its inclusion has satisfied me.

Posted by SouthernGothic on September 21, 2006 at 5:27 AM (CDT)

This is what you get when you have a player that dependable on external software. The only problem I have is that some podcasts don’t work on the iPod. I try to play it but my iPod just resets itself. After reading all the other stuff people are dealing with I guess my problem isn’t that big. Apple probably was in a big hurry, scared for Microsoft’s zune player, which was a huge disappointment.

Posted by roger767 on September 21, 2006 at 8:27 AM (CDT)

Man. I dont know. Only problem I really have is its kinda slow sometimes. And the rating thing. And when you change names of TV shows and stuff like that, doing the tags takes minute. But overall its decent.

Posted by Joey on September 21, 2006 at 9:25 AM (CDT)

I have an issue I don’t see anyone mentioning…  iT7 will automatically eject my Shuffle!  I will be listening to music from my iPod thru my PC and it will just stop.  Some other issues:
my cd/dvd drives suck!  Screensaver comes on and the music gets choppy (minor). That is my main gripe.  I am hesitant to go back to iT6, I don’t want to lose any play data.  How hard is a reinstall of an older version?

Posted by trxfx on September 21, 2006 at 9:56 AM (CDT)

I’m running the upgrade on my office pc, home pc and laptop (all xp pro machines) and I’ve noticed these problems

printing the library using album listing is now totally screwed up

no catagory for music videos

itunes now boots into the itunes store if ipod not connected

views always revert back to default (name, time, show etc…) no matter how many times I change them and the box is checked to remember view settings for each source

everytime I sync the gapless play back feature will analyze the tracks purchased from itunes, without fail

when I playback in the car, anything purchased from itunes has additional signal noise and distortion (songs, videos)

when downloading tracks from itunes it takes forever sometimes and then will lock up. Its best to try and get one track at a time.

thankfully no major problems like others. I do like the new album view feature as well as the summary page. I’m running a 5th gen 60 gig with 3918 tracks, 41 full length movies, 40 music videos, 50 tv shows and about 800 photos

Posted by jetkc1 on September 21, 2006 at 10:33 AM (CDT)

As soon as I saw that you couldn’t combine podcasts and music into one library, I went back and re-downloaded the old version.

Posted by morebinky on September 21, 2006 at 11:44 AM (CDT)

Page 2 of 4 pages  < 1 2 3 4 >