iTunes 7 causing headaches for some users | iLounge News

iTunes 7 causing headaches for some users

image

Almost immediately after Apple released iTunes 7 last week, bug reports started surfacing from users on both Mac OS X and Windows. Apple’s discussion boards and iLounge’s forums are both currently host to a number of complaints about the issues—which range from application crashes to audio problems—and the company recently began posting support documents to address some of the bugs. In a related issue, iTunes 7 users are also experiencing problems with getting purchased music working on the iTunes-ready Motorola ROKR and SLVR phones. According to numerous accounts, songs purchased from the iTunes Store will not play on the devices, even though CD-ripped tracks will. Meanwhile, AppleInsider claims that Apple is “well aware of the matter and that it’s toiling feverishly to rectify the issues.” The website claims that Apple hopes to release an update, presumably iTunes 7.0.1, as soon as possible.

« Nike+iPod runners log over 1 million miles

Belkin debuts new cases for iPod nano, 5G iPod »

Comments

I’ve had some mixed success/failure with 7. My problems, which I see others are having as well, are:

- Unable to update my 30GB G5 iPod to firmware version 1.2

- Slow syncing of iPod with iTunes

- Minor crackling of music when sound is adjusted lower

- Minor read errors on NPR podcasts (not sure if this is an NPR problem or iTunes problem)

I have not experienced other problems such as album art or crashing, so I suppose I should consider myself lucky.

Posted by cxc273 on September 21, 2006 at 8:46 AM (PDT)

Let me tell you first: I like iTunes. But I never understood why everyone is stating that apple software doesnt crash and is not buggy compared to Microsoft Software. iTunes is and always has been buggy. It is the slowest piece of software on my PC and I use mighty tools. Is it really that hard to make scrolling through a list of files or a database smooth? Is it the only option to use 98 % of CPU time just for closing a database? If thats what apples software is like ... I dont want to know how it works with real big databases.

Posted by saminegm on September 21, 2006 at 12:48 PM (PDT)

I tried to quickly rip a cd before leaving for work the other morning.  BIG MISTAKE… the rip took 5 times as long as it used to under the previous version of iTunes.  I’m also experiencing the “can’t add album art to multiple tracks” issue.  All in all, I was thrilled with the updates to my iPod’s firmware, but am frustrated with iTunes 7.  I just hope Apple doesn’t keep us waiting for some fixes.

Posted by Jim on September 21, 2006 at 6:39 PM (PDT)

Also only other problem is that videos dont play great. I mean, they start out slow and kinda skippy.

Posted by Joey on September 22, 2006 at 1:28 AM (PDT)

You can change this to MP3 if you like, but the sound quality of MP3 is not as good as AAC.

Woah, Nelly.  Where did you get that, Apple’s marketing department?  It’s A: Pretty subjective, and B: Dependent on your source file, your choice of MP3 encoders, the quality level you choose and the headphones you use to listen to the final result.

I despise AAC.  It adds a digital cold quality to all my music and I refuse to use it.  I use a third-party encoder that runs on LAME and generally, I use alt-preset-extreme for all my music.  It’s far superior in my ears.

Each user has to experiment for themselves.  AAC is NOT always better.

Posted by stark23x on September 22, 2006 at 10:41 AM (PDT)

Most maddening is that playing podcasts doesn’t provide the continuation from one to the next!  I use my nano for audio CD’s only and found that when I put the data about the CD into the alt/u update, it’s missing after the import when I check using ctl/i, so I have to update it AGAIN!  When I put the updates for R7 onto the Nano, it caused corruption (which I’d never had before) so I had to restore and reload everything.  All this made me wonder (as an old IBM software designer,) do they test updates for audio book code functions at all?  These are major functions which apparently were not tested at all.
Next time I get the opportunity to update, I’ll be much more leary!

Posted by Kit on September 23, 2006 at 6:13 AM (PDT)

navigation around iTunes has really be retarded, its harder to use…

Posted by Simon on September 24, 2006 at 6:01 AM (PDT)

Very annoying…

1. I have a Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Notebook sound card that will only play out of two speakers when paying music through the new iTunes.  I had no problem with the last version…

Glad to know I am not the only one…

Posted by ChillChat on September 24, 2006 at 12:15 PM (PDT)

It’s slow, it’s a resource hog, and now I can’t play any games with it running. But I still appreciate the danged, buggy, problematic program. It has a lot of problems, but it’s still the best at what it does.

And that, my friends, shows how sad the state of music playing software is these days.

Blah.

Posted by animasaki on September 24, 2006 at 11:50 PM (PDT)

This is a serious problem.  I haven’t been able to successfully install the latest version of iTunes onto my desktop.  I am delaying the purchase of a new iPod until Apple resolves this issue.  I was able to install the new version of iTunes onto my laptop shortly after it was released.  It’s nice to know that I’m not the only one having this problem.

Posted by Tchocky on September 25, 2006 at 1:15 PM (PDT)

Album art is spotty but no big deal. The other issue I had was that my iPhoto slideshows and albums would not play the purchased music I had selected. I would receive an error that the selection was not authorized to play on my MacBook which it was. I checked for updates and sure enough there was a Frontrow update that corrected it.

Posted by johno973 on September 26, 2006 at 12:08 PM (PDT)

ever since i updated i have been getting a blue screen sometimes.. and my computer crashes of course.. and my firefox acts different.  but only when im running itunes?  I think I am going to downgrade..  or something till they fix this.

Posted by ryan on September 26, 2006 at 12:23 PM (PDT)

Question, Do only the new ipods get search.  I updated my Ipod and the letters pop up when I am scrolling, but I don’t get a search feature yet?

Posted by Joey V on September 26, 2006 at 6:02 PM (PDT)

Dayumm!! I don’t remember an iTunes version ever catching this much flack! I, for one, HAD to revert back to v.6 because it simply wasn’t seeing my iPods (yes, both of them!). I’d reinstall/repair the program and then it’d work one time. After that, no joy - have to repair again. Glad I didn’t reset my iPods, iTunes 6 is working like a charm with them.

Posted by Laer on September 27, 2006 at 6:37 AM (PDT)

With iTunes 7, is there now a way to have songs on a given album stay connected with one another (even when shuffling)?  For example, when playing Abbey Road, the “Gapless Album” feature allows Side 2 to play through without gaps between the songs.  But is there also a way to tie Tracks 8-17 together (as if it were one song) when in Shuffle mode?

I’m wondering if either “Remember Position” or “Skip When Shuffling” might do this?

Posted by tobias on September 27, 2006 at 9:31 AM (PDT)

iTunes 7 is working perfectly on my dell E1505..the only thing i dislike is the album cover finder.  If i didn’t purchase my music from iTunes then i can’t give me album art, it kinda sucks a**!

Posted by AJD on September 28, 2006 at 10:05 PM (PDT)

YIPPEE!! I got iTunes 7 to see my iPods! Windows “Terminal Service” was turned off.Anyone having a problem with this should go to Apple’s support website and do a search for “iTunes 7 doesn’t recognize iPod”. It’ll be the first article in the search list.

Posted by Laer on September 30, 2006 at 1:15 AM (PDT)

I am still unable to access the musicstore!

Posted by MTP on September 30, 2006 at 3:11 AM (PDT)

I can’t find the feature where you can manually edit your I-pod anymore on the new i-tunes.I would like to go back to my old 6.05 version,but am afraid I can’t without losing all my 10085 songs.What can I do? Should I get anapod maybe?

Posted by birdy on October 13, 2006 at 3:00 AM (PDT)

Can someone tell me how to go back to itunes 6-all my songs in itunes 7 are distorted.
when i uninstall it and reinstall itunes 6, it says “all of these songs were formatted in a newer version of itunes” and it wont work!!

Posted by Desiree on October 26, 2006 at 1:05 PM (PDT)

Page 3 of 4 pages  <  1 2 3 4 >