iTunes 7.1 update eases Vista problems | iLounge News

iTunes 7.1 update eases Vista problems

In addition to Apple TV support and other new features, the iTunes 7.1 update released yesterday also includes fixes for several Windows Vista issues, though a number are still unresolved. “Apple has released a new version of iTunes that addresses a number of compatibility issues with Windows Vista,” the iPod maker says in a new support document. “iTunes 7.1 is recommended for use with most editions of Windows Vista, however, Apple is actively working with Microsoft to resolve a few remaining known issues. This document will be updated as more information becomes available.”

« Creative intros first iPod speaker systems

Roth debuts vacuum tube amplifier with iPod dock »

Comments

Except that 7.1 broke a large number of Vista iTunes installs where they worked fairly well before.

Posted by John Stone on March 6, 2007 at 3:01 PM (PDT)

Syncing my iPod takes forever and makes iTunes superslow.

It’s actually worse than before.

I hope they fix it soon…

Posted by jeremyjk1221 on March 6, 2007 at 3:23 PM (PDT)

Still no x64 support.  C’mon Apple.  Throw us a bone here.

Posted by Shawn on March 6, 2007 at 4:05 PM (PDT)

i dunno what the problem is but i cant install ANY Apple Software on my Vista machine. its got x86 hardware but mostly x32 software.  it always crashes upon running.  the probelm lies with a quicktimeMPEG4.tpx   file.

Posted by ryan on March 6, 2007 at 4:17 PM (PDT)

Even with 7.1, I still can’t view any downloaded TV shows. I can’t even authorize my computer without iTunes crashing. I have Vista pre-installed on a new machine. I agree with jeremykk1221 that updating the ipod is SUPERSLOW.

Posted by James Baud on March 6, 2007 at 5:38 PM (PDT)

I’m running 7.1 on my XP Pro 2GB processor, 1 GB RAM and if it’s so hot why does it take up 90% of my CPU and 80,000KB of RAM just to play MP-3’s?

Posted by Rob on March 6, 2007 at 5:55 PM (PDT)

Nope, still runs like a Yugo with half it’s cylinders blown.

This is pathetic… I can pull down 60-70 fps in the latest games with the highest detail settings, but I can’t scroll down my music library without it stuttering and hogging 70-80 percent of my CPU?! Uh… Apple, we have a problem.

Posted by johnny on March 6, 2007 at 6:29 PM (PDT)

I didn’t check before,
but I just found out that iTunes, being minimized to the taskbar doing absolutely nothing,
takes 240,000 Kbs of RAM on my new Vista machine.

I’m really dissapointed in Apple.

Posted by jeremyjk1221 on March 6, 2007 at 7:40 PM (PDT)

It’s no better on XP - Hogs EVERY bit of my Athlon FX multiple CPUs, and takes hundreds of megabytes of memory and still runs like my computer is a casio calculator from 1982.

This is ridiculous, and if they can’t fix iTunes, then the whole point of the iPod is dead.  I will not put up with this for much longer.  It used to be a great experience.  Itunes and the iPod just worked.  Now it’s an hour or more just to make small changes in iTunes, and I can’t do anything else because it freezes my computer.

I really think they’re doing this on purpose to try to drive Windows iPod users to a mac.  I won’t do it.  I will just find another music player.

Posted by stark23x on March 6, 2007 at 7:48 PM (PDT)

Here is the ultimate solution for people with Problems with iTunes in Vista:
Seriously though, I’ve always found Apple’s software for Windows to be Lacklustre. Microsoft’s software for Mac OS X isn’t any better, but at least MS MacBU is full of Macintosh Fans; There aren’t any Windows fans at Apple.

Posted by Dan Woods on March 6, 2007 at 8:23 PM (PDT)

Here is the ultimate solution for people with Problems with iTunes in Vista:

Thanks for proving my point.  The answer is no.  There’s no excuse for the current performance.  I don’t care about the holy ar and I definitely don’t care about how many Windows “fans” there are in Cupertino.

I want better performance - no, wait - I want the same level of performance we had with the entire 6.x run of iTunes.  Someone made a mistake in the way this software was written and each version since 7.0 has simply SUCKED.

Posted by stark23x on March 6, 2007 at 9:04 PM (PDT)

>>>Someone made a mistake in the way this software was written and each version since 7.0 has simply SUCKED.

Exactly. The functional improvements are great but the performance is hopeless. It’s an even bigger hog than Norton AV.

Posted by Ericc B on March 7, 2007 at 1:38 AM (PDT)

Ha! Oh you love your Apple gadgets and software, but Noooooooooooo….you would never buy a Mac. Ridiculous. Get outta here and have fun with WMC instead. Hypocrites.

Posted by solarpos on March 7, 2007 at 4:11 AM (PDT)

I find it odd that my pos HP laptop can run iTunes 7.1 perfectly, with as little memory as possible (~14k minimized to the tray and listening to music, ~30k when browsing). I can even run fullscreen coverflow, which amazingly, doesn’t cause my computer to freeze. However, this computer is also barely able to run Day of Defeat: Source at 20fps at minimum display settings. Odd.

Posted by Nobody on March 7, 2007 at 5:15 AM (PDT)

#14…. I’m guessing you mean 14k kilobytes…meaning 14meg…

My HP pavilion zv5000 has it with 40meg just sitting there, and 43-51meg when playing an MP3 (on XP Home)

Posted by jimlat on March 7, 2007 at 5:32 AM (PDT)

Another alternative to itunes (at least if you don’t use ITMS) is anapod explorer….drag and drop from explorer, as well as ability to drag off the ipod to the computer.

Just a thought….

Posted by jimlat on March 7, 2007 at 5:34 AM (PDT)

seriously- see the light.

Posted by aaron on March 7, 2007 at 5:39 AM (PDT)

Well just another reason NOT to get a windows machine!  Apple rules digital media… no one can argue with that.  If you are thinking about upgrading to Vista think again and GET A MAC!  But seriously apple is being nice to all you people since it is even giving you PC capabilities.  Look at the Zune!  No Mac capabilities… apple is just plain better!

Posted by redapple2112 on March 7, 2007 at 7:04 AM (PDT)

You can’t break MS for poor iTunes 7.x performance.  It sucked long before Vista came out.  Lighten up, mac fanboys.

13, it’s not being hypocritical people complain about, not praise, iTunes.  More people would probably get macs if only you could get software for the dang things…

Posted by Lyle on March 7, 2007 at 7:33 AM (PDT)

Except software is no longer an issue with the new intel macs.

Posted by Bethany on March 7, 2007 at 8:13 AM (PDT)

Page 1 of 3 pages  1 2 3 >