iTunes 7.1 update eases Vista problems | iLounge News

iTunes 7.1 update eases Vista problems

In addition to Apple TV support and other new features, the iTunes 7.1 update released yesterday also includes fixes for several Windows Vista issues, though a number are still unresolved. “Apple has released a new version of iTunes that addresses a number of compatibility issues with Windows Vista,” the iPod maker says in a new support document. “iTunes 7.1 is recommended for use with most editions of Windows Vista, however, Apple is actively working with Microsoft to resolve a few remaining known issues. This document will be updated as more information becomes available.”

« Creative intros first iPod speaker systems

Roth debuts vacuum tube amplifier with iPod dock »

Comments

If you got a mac your itunes issues would be alot easier!

Posted by S on March 7, 2007 at 8:50 AM (PDT)

I’ve posted a list of bugs/problems I’ve encountered in both Vista and XP in the iTunes forum on the site.

No disrespect to Apple, but this version seems buggier than usual for iTunes. I’ve never encountered any problems until the installation of 7.1.

Posted by cxc273 on March 7, 2007 at 8:59 AM (PDT)

Yeah, spend hundreds of dollars on hardware to run a free software package that doesn’t run well on the hardware that makes up 90% of the installed user base. Is that AppleMath? Oh right, at Apple it’s Steve that’s always right, not the customer - silly me. smile

BTW - Bethany - are you proposing that people should buy a Mac so they can run Windows?

Posted by WhoCares on March 7, 2007 at 9:47 AM (PDT)

No, Bethany just jumped for the easy out instead of answering Lyle’s FUD-approach correctly. There’s plenty of Mac software, a lot of it even comes for free. Just because there are not 25 horrible products to do the same thing but maybe 2-3 good ones that doesn’t make for a bad selection. Also, preaching to people in this thread to “get a Mac” is pointless. Just think, these people spent good money on… Vista. From all I read, Vista at this stage could still be considered BETA. Also, in Europe, you can almost buy a Mac mini for the price of Vista, and it will come with a well developed, virus-free OS and plenty of well working software at no added cost. They bought Vista regardless. Just leave them alone.

Posted by Bad Beaver on March 7, 2007 at 10:29 AM (PDT)

But seriously apple is being nice to all you people since it is even giving you PC capabilities.

HOWEVER, without PC users the iPod would not have been the runaway success that it has been. I’d be careful about biting that hand that feeds your heroes down at Cupertino, even if it means having to acknowledging Redmond’s existence.

Posted by flatline response on March 7, 2007 at 11:46 AM (PDT)

It doesn’t matter to Apple fanboys that 90% of the iPod user base is Windows-based.  Their answer to everything is “buy a mac, buy a mac, buy a mac.”

Which is just stupid.  I should spend $2000 to replace hardware I already have to do things I’m already doing because Apple is writing bad code?  Yeah, not so much.  I don’t *need* Apple, but Apple needs my money.

Posted by stark23x on March 7, 2007 at 1:31 PM (PDT)

I have both a fairly old Dell PC running XP and a new MacBook. And strangely enough, iTunes has tended to run just as well, if not better, on the PC. When iTunes 7 first came out, I read about all of its problems when running on Windows. And I never experienced any of them. I don’t know what it is, but I’ve never experienced any problems to speak of on either operating system.

That being said I have to agree with those of you who say that Apple needs to fix this. If Window users are having enough problems to stop using iTunes, and therefore iPods, it will severely hurt Apple. Not enough people will switch over to Macs to compensate for all of the money Apple would lose by alienating them.

Apple needs to placate the Windows users until enough of them switch over to Macs, which may never happen.

Posted by Jon on March 7, 2007 at 6:39 PM (PDT)

I wish they would hurry up and come up with the option to mass sort video files - I’m tired of individually clicking each movie file just to make it a tv show. It gets rather boring after the thousandth time.

Posted by Yvonne on March 7, 2007 at 10:48 PM (PDT)

I’m not sure what all of the fuss is about.  I have Windows XP installed on my iMac and I’ve never had any real problems with either iTunes or QT running on the Windows side.  I’ve also never heard any complaints from the several friends of mine that have Windows only PCs and iPods.

Of course though, in a forum like this you tend to only hear from the small vocal minority that are having problems rather than from the vast majority that aren’t.  If iTunes was truly as bad as the few that are complaining say it is, nobody out there would be buying any iPods.  But we know that certainly isn’t the case…

Posted by lancetx on March 8, 2007 at 7:44 AM (PDT)

Oh, and to the Windows fanboys here, you can always go and buy a Zune and see how that works out for you.  Good luck with all of that…

Posted by lancetx on March 8, 2007 at 7:50 AM (PDT)

Lance, iTunes worked fine when I got my iPod, way before 7.x came out.  If iTunes was as bad as it is now when I bought my iPod, I might not have.

In response to the buy a mac people who said that software was not an issue, let’s look at the iPod demographic.  College kids.  Also, let’s look at the video game demographic.  Teens and Twenties.  See the overlap?  See the “Games for Mac” section in your local Best Buy?  Software support for HARDWARE is also an issue.  My Harmony remote would not work on mac, and show me a media center extender besides the coming Apple TV that Mac supports.

But I’ll concede that I could find all the productivity software I want on Mac.

Posted by Lyle on March 8, 2007 at 7:56 AM (PDT)

Good one, lancetx! *g*
Oh, but by the way, I hear on head-fi that the Zune’s soundquality is outstanding. Yet the software is “teh h0rr0r” (no, people on head-fi ususally spell well).

Lile, you’re right about the gaming, the selection is lacking for gamer-types, although the top games are there. Complain to the makers of your desired game. Or, accept that PC-gaming is in large parts focussed on extracting ever more money for hardware upgrades out of gamers wink I’d guess most can live easier with consoles.

Same goes for hardware, complain to the makers. Unless you get vocal, nothing changes.

Posted by Bad Beaver on March 8, 2007 at 9:11 AM (PDT)

Problems with iTunes on your PC.???  Hmmm, I am running an XP Dell system and mostly have no problems with iTunes.  I bounce music back and forth to my Macs and have little problem.

Now VISTA, thats a different story. First of all, anyone with problems should visit a few MS sites where people are talking about Vista.  Boy, am I glad I have an IT person to fix my PC.  Even she hates Vista.  There are DRM issues, hardware issues, driver issues, and many companies are still trying to come up to speed with the latest copy of Vista. (it seems that the released version of Vista had some major but small changes from the last beta copy. )

Anyway, if you are having problems with Vista and iTunes (or even XP and iTunes),  stop, . . .  take a breath . . . . . and double check.—- EVERYTHING.

Microsoft and its “partners” have many many many issues that vary with machine, software,and systems.  Make sure you are not being affected by outside issues before you write off iTunes, even on the PC, even, even (cough cough choke . . . ) with Vista.

Nuff said.

Posted by eldernorm on March 8, 2007 at 1:49 PM (PDT)

why can’t anyone make a reasonable suggestion here?

try FLOOLA. it’s a free ipod manager for win/linx/mac.

Posted by Yakov Chodosh on March 9, 2007 at 12:54 AM (PDT)

iTunes never was a fast piece of software. It was resource hungry and slow and its getting worse…

Posted by saminegm on March 11, 2007 at 5:30 AM (PDT)

I had a brand new computer that came with Vista installed.  My iPod was brand new and only worked good for 3 days before it started crashing every time I was attempting to sync it.  I tried to re install itunes, but eventually had to restore my computer back twice, to a time when it was working properly and its been fine ever since, so far no crashing.

Posted by Dana on March 14, 2007 at 8:29 PM (PDT)

The one thing nobody seems to be considering is that Microsoft intentionally crippled Vista’s support for the iPod in order to bolster it’s Zune sales for angry iPod+Vista users.

Posted by Kevvo on March 17, 2007 at 6:42 PM (PDT)

I have windows vista and thanks to apples update 7.1.1 My iTunes is worse, I now have no music on my 30GB I-Pod video, at leats I used to be able to put songs but no videos now no songs work either. this pisses me off we have nice computers and our #### dosen’t work…fix this, now!!!!

Posted by Ben Fischer on March 22, 2007 at 4:53 PM (PDT)

someone suggested a Zune I am going to get a zune if this #### dosen’t fix in the next week I have no music on my I’pod I am PO’d

Posted by Ben Fischer on March 22, 2007 at 4:59 PM (PDT)

Hmmm, maybe microsoft’s way to pump up Zune sales. They are dropping in price too. Also, I have noticed that legit vista premium upgrades are going on ebay for a little over $80. I know I looked into upgrading, but I don’t want to lose my ipods functionality, plus to fully benefit, I’d have to upgrade some of my hardware too.

Posted by Andy on April 30, 2007 at 4:44 PM (PDT)

Page 2 of 3 pages  <  1 2 3 >