iTunes 8 causing 5002 app store error, workaround available | iLounge News

iTunes 8 causing 5002 app store error, workaround available

By Charles Starrett

Contributing Editor
Published: Friday, September 19, 2008
News Categories: iTunes

A number of iPhone and iPod touch users running iTunes 8, including an iLounge editor, have been hit with an iTunes error 5002 when trying to update applications stored in their iTunes libraries. While the exact cause of the error is not clear, a workaround is available. Those receiving the error should look through their Applications listings in iTunes and remove any app with a generic icon, and then re-download the app if needed. The generic icons represent apps that iTunes 8 cannot find, and for some reason cause the program to display an error 5002 for the entire catalog of updates rather than skipping over certain applications. Following this procedure, all applications should be updated by iTunes properly, then sync to the iPhone or iPod touch without issue.

« Boomwave intros Funk cases for iPhone 3G

Atari requests removal of iPhone Breakout clones »

Comments

That’s right… I found that a few of my apps could not be found / updated so the whole process was botched.

This worked like a charm and ever since the 2.1 update, I’ve had ZERO issues with updating apps on iTunes and on my iPhone itself.

Congrats to Apple for a job well done with this update.

Posted by Chris G on September 19, 2008 at 7:13 AM (PDT)

I’ve got the same 5002 error and no generic app icons present, so this error is caused by something else as well.

Posted by Michael H on September 19, 2008 at 10:20 AM (PDT)

How about this, Apple? Instead of all these ridiculous “workarounds” for all of the bugs that iTunes 8.0 has. You make a version that actually works and QC test it this time. Call it 8.0.1 or 8.1. Oh yeah, that might feel too much like doing some actual work.

Posted by John on September 19, 2008 at 11:53 AM (PDT)

…and while they’re killing bugs in iTunes why don’t they speed it up a bit, or restructure the monolithic Library file, or get rid of the ridiculous non-modal alerts (which cause problems with Spaces).

Posted by Dan Woods on September 19, 2008 at 2:36 PM (PDT)

Thank You soooo much, I had 2 generic icons and after deleting them, I can update my apps.
grin

Posted by Awayze on September 26, 2008 at 9:54 AM (PDT)

I just found this is not limited to the iPhone or iPod touch.  I had a friend send me a song.  I had to change my iTunes settings and turned OFF 1-click.  When I did that, I was able to download the song.  I have a 5th gen iPod video 30gb.

Posted by Doctor J on December 11, 2008 at 8:56 PM (PDT)