iTunes 9 causing AirTunes connection problems? | iLounge News

iTunes 9 causing AirTunes connection problems?

A number of iTunes users are reporting problems getting iTunes’ AirTunes feature to work with their Airport Express units after upgrading to iTunes 9. Based on user reports in an Apple Discussions thread, the problem does not appear to be isolated to any specific operating system or Airport Express model, as both Mac and PC users, and owners of both 802.11g- and 802.11n-capable Airport Express units say they have been getting an error message stating, “An error occurred while connecting to the remote speaker ‘[Airport Express Name]’. The network connection failed.” Curiously, a number of users reported similar problems after installing iTunes 8. [via Engadget]

« Mix: Agent18, Griffin, NAND, iPhone accounting

Every 2009 iPod, reviewed, photographed + more »

Comments

Since downloaded itunes 9, when i connect to internet itunes has a problem and shuts down. please help.

Posted by CHARLENE on September 14, 2009 at 3:29 PM (PDT)

I have just downloaded the latest version of Itunes and now when I put a CD into the laptop drive bay I get the message I tunes has stopped working and will close. This oviously stops me transferring music from CD on to I tunes. Anyone able to advise what to do without losing my library? .

Posted by Ranticus on September 15, 2009 at 9:47 AM (PDT)

Since I downloaded itunes 9 everytime it sync’s the music library to the Apple TV it sync’s songs that are already in the AT over and over the same songs. Why does this happens? How can I correct this.

Posted by Ivan on September 15, 2009 at 1:24 PM (PDT)

I remember that when iTunes 8 came out there was a need to allow network trafik on TCP and UDP ports 6001 and 6002, assuming of course your system firewall was activated.
Perhaps this is the same problem. Try deactivating your firewall to see if airtunes starts working again.
FYI: I am running MacOS 10.4 and iTunes 9 and had no problems with Airtunes.

Posted by ChrisB on September 15, 2009 at 1:37 PM (PDT)

Oops. Your firewall should of course be deactivated for testing only, and then activated again.

Posted by ChrisB on September 15, 2009 at 1:38 PM (PDT)

After search for a solution to this problem…

I discovered that if you reset your Airport Extreme Base Station, and your Airport Expresses (power them all off - wait 30 seconds and turn them back on)  the problem goes away.

This must be a compatibility problem with residual settings in the Airport Express/Airport Extreme networking with previous versions of iTunes.

Posted by DanS on September 27, 2009 at 9:43 AM (PDT)

shut down itunes, disconnect your router for a minute, reconnect it all and start it all up again. Worked for me just now.

Posted by McVespa on November 5, 2009 at 7:59 AM (PDT)

Resetting the Base Station and Express by powering both down worked for me as well.

Posted by Morris on November 12, 2009 at 4:22 PM (PDT)

I recently downloaded iTunes version 10.  Since then, I have not been able to direct music via Airport to either of my systems. I no longer have a drop down tab that let’s me select where to direct the music.  Apple has been no help since I have a Dell and not a Mac.Any ideas how to correct?

Posted by captain on September 22, 2010 at 10:15 AM (PDT)

I had same problem after I upgraded.  I turned off my firewall and tried and it worked.  If you leave the music playing and turn firewall back on it kept working for me….so far

Posted by Mark on September 28, 2010 at 8:23 PM (PDT)

nope, didn’t work after reboot….not sure what’s up.  Tried resetting station, checked the exceptions on my firewall, etc…...wtf?!?

Posted by Mark on September 28, 2010 at 8:34 PM (PDT)

Exactly the same as Mark! Rebooted and double checked firewall, still get the same message “An error occurred while connecting to the remote speaker . The network connection failed.” Is it me or is itunes a right pain in the ###!

Posted by Mike on February 14, 2011 at 4:57 AM (PDT)