iTunes 9 to gain Blu-ray support, app organization? [updated]
iTunes 9 will feature Blu-ray disc support, as well as a better way to handle iPhone and iPod touch applications, according to a new report. Citing a “pretty reliable source,” Boy Genius Report writes that Blu-ray support will be coming in the next version of iTunes, which is curious considering that Apple currently doesn’t sell any of its own computers with Blu-ray drives installed. However, Blu-ray support could be added to upcoming Mac computers, and potentially aid Blu-ray-equipped PCs with iTunes in importing iTunes-friendly Digital Copies or using interactive Blu-Ray content.
The report also claims that iTunes 9 will include the ability to visually organize and arrange iPhone applications, and that the software will offer some form of social networking integration, specifically for Twitter, Facebook, and Last.fm. No release timeframe is given, although it is likely that the release could coincide with the release of updated iPod models. Apple introduced iTunes 8 with Genius auto-playlist support on September 9, 2008, the same day it introduced new iPods.
Update: The Boy Genius Report has posted more details on iTunes 9, attributed to the same source. According to the report, iTunes 9 will allow users to broadcast what music they’re listening to, connect to friends, and update all your statuses at the same time. The new software is also said to allow for iPhone app organization by genre, date added, or custom arrangements, and that the social networking integration found in iTunes 9 may be part of a larger social networking push by Apple that may include plans for a standalone application.
- Report reveals more details on Apple’s upcoming music service
- Apple struggling to drop price of upcoming streaming music service
- Revamped Apple music service not coming until WWDC; new Apple TV later this year?
- Apple releases iTunes 12.1.1 update for Windows
- Report: Details on Apple’s upcoming Beats-based streaming service
- Apple releases iTunes 12.1 update, adds Notification Center widget
- Apple wants networks to handle streaming for its web TV service
- Pandora CFO calls Apple a ‘frenemy,’ says service will be available in CarPlay
- Apple now accepting all Apple Watch app submissions
- Apple hires former Dolby executive
- ITC to investigate Apple over Ericsson complaints
- Apple Q2 earnings call coming April 27
- Alleged ‘iPad Pro’ photos show second Lightning port?
- Apple expands iPhone trade-in program to non-Apple devices
- Alleged ‘iPhone 6c’ rear shell photos leaked
- Gear section, Disqus comments added to iLounge
- VERT Wearable Fitness Monitor
- OORT SmartFinder, SmartLED + SmartSocket
- RooCase Exec Tough for iPhone 6 Plus
- Pronto Smart Remote System
- iWalk Extreme Spartan
- EnerPlex Surfr for iPhone 6
- IK Multimedia iRig 2 Guitar Interface
- PowerSkin Pop’n 3 for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Coogobox Symphony Dock for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- PowerSkin Spare for iPhone 6
- Can I turn off the app icons that appear in the bottom corner on the lock screen?
- Why do I have two separate conversations with the same person in Messages?
- Can I transfer the existing version of an app to my new iPhone?
- How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?
- How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?
- How do I stop Siri from randomly waking up?
- How do I cancel a print job on iOS?
- How do I make my camera LED flash when my iPhone rings?
- How do I re-sync contacts to my vehicle after switching to a new iPhone?
- How do I move away from a shared Apple ID for iMessage?