iTunes 9 to gain Blu-ray support, app organization? [updated]
iTunes 9 will feature Blu-ray disc support, as well as a better way to handle iPhone and iPod touch applications, according to a new report. Citing a “pretty reliable source,” Boy Genius Report writes that Blu-ray support will be coming in the next version of iTunes, which is curious considering that Apple currently doesn’t sell any of its own computers with Blu-ray drives installed. However, Blu-ray support could be added to upcoming Mac computers, and potentially aid Blu-ray-equipped PCs with iTunes in importing iTunes-friendly Digital Copies or using interactive Blu-Ray content.
The report also claims that iTunes 9 will include the ability to visually organize and arrange iPhone applications, and that the software will offer some form of social networking integration, specifically for Twitter, Facebook, and Last.fm. No release timeframe is given, although it is likely that the release could coincide with the release of updated iPod models. Apple introduced iTunes 8 with Genius auto-playlist support on September 9, 2008, the same day it introduced new iPods.
Update: The Boy Genius Report has posted more details on iTunes 9, attributed to the same source. According to the report, iTunes 9 will allow users to broadcast what music they’re listening to, connect to friends, and update all your statuses at the same time. The new software is also said to allow for iPhone app organization by genre, date added, or custom arrangements, and that the social networking integration found in iTunes 9 may be part of a larger social networking push by Apple that may include plans for a standalone application.
- Apple vying for artist exclusives for streaming music service; family plan?
- Apple releases iTunes 12.1.2 with OS X Photos app support
- Report reveals more details on Apple’s upcoming music service
- Apple struggling to drop price of upcoming streaming music service
- Revamped Apple music service not coming until WWDC; new Apple TV later this year?
- Apple releases iTunes 12.1.1 update for Windows
- Apple Watch unboxing gallery posted
- iLounge Weekly coming Monday, sign up now
- FoneFox posts Apple Watch waterproof testing video
- iFixit posts Apple Watch teardown
- Apple posts Apple Watch User Guide
- Apple planning to release new iPod touch later this year?
- Nokia shopping around its Maps division, courting Apple
- Apple Watch pre-orders arriving tomorrow, Apple posts more Guided Tours
- Security flaw opens iOS devices to attack using fake WiFi hotspots
- Security flaw leaves about 1,500 iOS apps vulnerable to attack
- Zagg Pocket Keyboard
- Adonit Jot Script 2
- Rokform Rokfolio Wallet Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Parrot Bebop Drone
- Soen Audio Transit XS Wireless Speaker
- Divoom Voombox-party Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Scosche MagicMount XL Dash/Window
- Theo Power Jump + Power Jump Wireless for iPhone 6
- VERT Wearable Fitness Monitor
- OORT SmartFinder, SmartLED + SmartSocket
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Is there a point to having both iCloud Photo Library and iCloud Photo Stream enabled?
- Why can’t I set a longer passcode timeout on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Can I turn off Message Read Receipts for only some users?
- How do I share one iCloud Photo Library within a family?
- Can I turn off the app icons that appear in the bottom corner on the lock screen?
- Why do I have two separate conversations with the same person in Messages?
- Can I transfer the existing version of an app to my new iPhone?
- How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?
- How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?