iTunes 9 to gain Blu-ray support, app organization? [updated]
iTunes 9 will feature Blu-ray disc support, as well as a better way to handle iPhone and iPod touch applications, according to a new report. Citing a “pretty reliable source,” Boy Genius Report writes that Blu-ray support will be coming in the next version of iTunes, which is curious considering that Apple currently doesn’t sell any of its own computers with Blu-ray drives installed. However, Blu-ray support could be added to upcoming Mac computers, and potentially aid Blu-ray-equipped PCs with iTunes in importing iTunes-friendly Digital Copies or using interactive Blu-Ray content.
The report also claims that iTunes 9 will include the ability to visually organize and arrange iPhone applications, and that the software will offer some form of social networking integration, specifically for Twitter, Facebook, and Last.fm. No release timeframe is given, although it is likely that the release could coincide with the release of updated iPod models. Apple introduced iTunes 8 with Genius auto-playlist support on September 9, 2008, the same day it introduced new iPods.
Update: The Boy Genius Report has posted more details on iTunes 9, attributed to the same source. According to the report, iTunes 9 will allow users to broadcast what music they’re listening to, connect to friends, and update all your statuses at the same time. The new software is also said to allow for iPhone app organization by genre, date added, or custom arrangements, and that the social networking integration found in iTunes 9 may be part of a larger social networking push by Apple that may include plans for a standalone application.
- Apple enables iTunes donations for Philippines typhoon
- Apple releases iTunes 11.1.3
- Apple releases iTunes 11.1.2
- iTunes Radio to launch in U.K., Canada in early 2014
- Apple releases iTunes 11.1.1
- Apple offers credit for Breaking Bad season passes
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- Apps: Assassin’s Creed Pirates, Doctor Who: Legacy, Double Dragon Trilogy + Foursquare 7.0
- Apple patent reveals ‘smart dock’ for Siri use
- Bluetooth 4.1 announced as free update for 4.0 devices
- Apple and China Mobile make iPhone deal?
- Startup uses iBeacon to allow Newsstand publication access
- Honda announces iPhone-powered car touchscreen
- Report: Apple may launch two 12.9-inch iPads
- Apps: Jetpack Joyride 1.6, The Lonely Beast 123, LoryStripes + Shazam 7.2
- Mophie debuts Powerstation XL battery pack
- China Mobile subsidiary briefly takes iPhone preorders
- Wren V5BT Bluetooth Wireless Speaker
- Incipio offGRID Pro Battery Case for iPhone 5
- Belkin WeMo Insight Switch
- STM Studio for iPad Air
- Urban Armor Gear Composite Case for iPad Air
- Belkin LEGO Builder Case for iPad mini
- Logitech Ultrathin Keyboard Cover for iPad Air
- Incipio Atlas ID for iPhone 5s
- JBL Spark Wireless Bluetooth Stereo Speaker
- IK Multimedia iRig KEYS PRO
- iMessages come in from email address instead of phone number
- Passcode entry field not appearing on iPhone
- Custom ringtones assignments don’t sync to iCloud
- Resuming incomplete iCloud backups
- Adding multiple photos to a Shared Photo Stream
- Quality of videos sent via Messages
- Text messages being delivered to wrong iPhone
- Problems logging in to iTunes Store
- Receiving FaceTime calls on multiple devices
- iOS 7: Incorrect display of Company-only contacts