iTunes 9 to gain Blu-ray support, app organization? [updated]
iTunes 9 will feature Blu-ray disc support, as well as a better way to handle iPhone and iPod touch applications, according to a new report. Citing a “pretty reliable source,” Boy Genius Report writes that Blu-ray support will be coming in the next version of iTunes, which is curious considering that Apple currently doesn’t sell any of its own computers with Blu-ray drives installed. However, Blu-ray support could be added to upcoming Mac computers, and potentially aid Blu-ray-equipped PCs with iTunes in importing iTunes-friendly Digital Copies or using interactive Blu-Ray content.
The report also claims that iTunes 9 will include the ability to visually organize and arrange iPhone applications, and that the software will offer some form of social networking integration, specifically for Twitter, Facebook, and Last.fm. No release timeframe is given, although it is likely that the release could coincide with the release of updated iPod models. Apple introduced iTunes 8 with Genius auto-playlist support on September 9, 2008, the same day it introduced new iPods.
Update: The Boy Genius Report has posted more details on iTunes 9, attributed to the same source. According to the report, iTunes 9 will allow users to broadcast what music they’re listening to, connect to friends, and update all your statuses at the same time. The new software is also said to allow for iPhone app organization by genre, date added, or custom arrangements, and that the social networking integration found in iTunes 9 may be part of a larger social networking push by Apple that may include plans for a standalone application.
- Apple Music service to include social pages for artists
- Apple streaming music service to provide limited free listening options
- OpenTV sues Apple for alleged patent infringement
- Report: Apple still missing key music streaming deals in time for WWDC debut
- Apple vying for artist exclusives for streaming music service; family plan?
- Apple releases iTunes 12.1.2 with OS X Photos app support
- Apple issues workaround for Messages text string bug
- Apple acquires Metaio, an augmented reality company
- Apple stuck with court-appointed antitrust monitor
- Apple to unveil rewards system for Apple Pay
- GM bringing CarPlay to 14 of its 2016 Chevy models
- Upcoming kit will allow developers to build native Apple Watch apps
- Apple may debut new ‘Proactive’ assistant with iOS 9
- Google Search will soon surface content from iOS apps
- iOS bug allows peculiar string of characters in Messages to reboot iPhones
- iOS 9 Transit feature to launch in select cities
- Spigen Apple Watch Stand S330
- Griffin WatchStand for Apple Watch
- Apple iPhone Lightning Dock
- Witti Notti and Dotti
- PhoneSuit Elite 6 and Elite 6 Pro Battery Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Wren V5US Speaker
- Skech Base for iPad Air 2
- Anova Culinary Precision Cooker
- Phiaton MS 100 BA Earphones
- Olloclip Ollocase for iPhone 6
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Is there a point to having both iCloud Photo Library and iCloud Photo Stream enabled?
- Why can’t I set a longer passcode timeout on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Can I turn off Message Read Receipts for only some users?
- How do I share one iCloud Photo Library within a family?