iTunes 9.1 to include iPad support, other enhancements | iLounge News

iTunes 9.1 to include iPad support, other enhancements

iTunes 9.1 will arrive alongside the iPad on Saturday, bringing with it a number of changes, many related to the new features of the latest iTunes-connecting device, Mac Rumors reports. Most notably, iTunes 9.1 will offer support for ebook files, and will see the “Audiobooks” listing on the iTunes Store and in the content management interface for connected devices changed to a broader “Books” section that will display all book content compatible with the currently connected device. Other changes will include greater control over Genius Mixes, including the ability to rename, rearrange, and delete Mixes, slight changes to device support, including small interface tweaks to the summary panes, and expansion of the ability to automatically convert songs to 128 kbps AAC format when syncing to devices.

« TwelveSouth previews BookArc for iPad

Apple Stores to open at 9 a.m. for iPad launch »

Comments

Wow, I never thought we would see the option of automatic transcoding for all devices.  Now my 32GB iPhone will be able to hold more than a few dozen lossless albums. I only wish we could choose a higher bitrate, like 192Kbps.

Posted by Galley in Greenville, SC on March 29, 2010 at 12:39 PM (CDT)

Just what I needed…even more features in an already overbloated application.

Posted by jiji on March 29, 2010 at 12:47 PM (CDT)

I can live with a feature that down converts audio down to 128kbps!  This would mean I’d be able to get my entire music collection on my 64 gig iPod Touch.  Since I mostly listen to music passively at work with only one ear, the lower bit rate would be a non issue.  It would just be nice to have my entire collection rather than most of it.

Posted by Phoenixfury on March 29, 2010 at 1:36 PM (CDT)

Jiji..The bloat would be less of an issue if they would just start coding iTunes to be multi-threaded already.  At some point Apple’s going to have to re-write iTunes to be multi-threaded on the PC, otherwise it’s going to become the most demanding beast your PC ever has to ever handle.

Posted by Phoenixfury on March 29, 2010 at 1:40 PM (CDT)

That’s all great, but I will get back the ability to see the complete track listing when I double-click an album in Album View? Since 9.0.0, all I get is a blank screen when I do this.

Posted by Herr Doktor on March 29, 2010 at 2:37 PM (CDT)

Anyone know if you’ll be able to purchase Apple ebooks without having to own an iPad? This should be possible because .epub format is not proprietary, but I haven’t read anything one way or the other.

Posted by TomK on March 29, 2010 at 3:16 PM (CDT)

#3: I’m cautiously optimistic about this feature—I expect it to increase sync times as everything will need to be transcoded as it’s transferred to your iPod or iPhone. However, if you don’t reload your music often, it shouldn’t be too big of a problem.

#6: I would expect the iBookstore to come to iTunes soon, if not in 9.1. That said, however, books purchased from Apple will be DRM-protected, and not an open ePub format that can be used on any device, so there may not be much point unless Apple creates a reader for the Mac (unlikely) or the iPhone/iPod touch (possible).

Posted by Jesse Hollington in Toronto on March 29, 2010 at 4:45 PM (CDT)

The transcoding feature will also allow me to buy an iPad with a smaller capacity.  I really don’t need to carry tens of thousands of songs.

Posted by Galley in Greenville, SC on March 29, 2010 at 5:48 PM (CDT)