iTunes adds early links to DRM-free music from holdout labels
New links found on the iTunes Store suggest that Universal Music Group, Warner Music Group, and Sony BMG may finally begin offering DRM-free iTunes Plus tracks through the service. Most notably, users have begun seeing tracks from the three labels appearing in the “Upgrade My Library” area of the store, which offers users a one-click option to upgrade past DRMed iTunes Store purchases to higher quality, DRM-free iTunes Plus versions. As shown in the screenshot, some of the recordings are appearing in this area without pricing or links to purchase, suggesting that Apple may be considering alternative pricing for these new DRM-free tracks, or may perhaps be looking to move all music on the store to a DRM-free format, effectively doing away with the iTunes Plus moniker and lowering prices for currently-offered iTunes Plus tracks to match those of normal songs. A report from last week suggested Apple was in talks with the three labels in hopes of offering DRM-free versions of their songs on the Store, but the talks were said to be in the preliminary stages. Apple has yet to comment on the matter.
- Apple Music service to include social pages for artists
- Apple streaming music service to provide limited free listening options
- OpenTV sues Apple for alleged patent infringement
- Report: Apple still missing key music streaming deals in time for WWDC debut
- Apple vying for artist exclusives for streaming music service; family plan?
- Apple releases iTunes 12.1.2 with OS X Photos app support
- iOS 9 Transit feature to launch in select cities
- Report: iOS 9 to feature Force Touch support, updated keyboard
- Microsoft confirms Cortana coming to iOS this year
- Apple creates Chief Design Officer role for Jony Ive
- Report: iOS 9 will bring new security features, improve legacy device support
- Report: Apple’s push for local content may delay Apple’s TV service
- Adobe dropping Photoshop Touch in favor of more focused apps
- Report: Dual app viewing, multiple logins coming to iPad
- Transit coming to Apple Maps in iOS 9?
- Apple and IBM expand MobileFirst apps to Apple Watch
- Griffin WatchStand for Apple Watch
- Apple iPhone Lightning Dock
- Witti Notti and Dotti
- PhoneSuit Elite 6 and Elite 6 Pro Battery Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Wren V5US Speaker
- Skech Base for iPad Air 2
- Anova Culinary Precision Cooker
- Phiaton MS 100 BA Earphones
- Olloclip Ollocase for iPhone 6
- AKG Y50 On-Ear Headphones
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Is there a point to having both iCloud Photo Library and iCloud Photo Stream enabled?
- Why can’t I set a longer passcode timeout on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Can I turn off Message Read Receipts for only some users?
- How do I share one iCloud Photo Library within a family?