iTunes Bad, WMA Good
“After immersing myself in audio codecs (as research for a future article) and re-ripping most of my own collection, I’ve come to the conclusion that I really like WMA—and I really don’t like the whole iTunes/iPod thing.
AAC is a perfectly fine audio format. It sounds good. I don’t really want the music I pay money for to be encoded at 128k, but none of iTunes’ competitors are offering a higher bitrate, so I don’t have much choice there. The problem with AAC is that it doesn’t really have digital rights management, so songs you buy through the iTunes Music Store have an Apple-specific proprietary digital rights management scheme called FairPlay attached to them. AAC may be a format that many desktop applications (like Winamp) can understand, and it’s certainly possible for non-iPod portable players to build in support for it, but iTunes and iPods understand FairPlay. If I buy music through the iTunes store, it will only play on iTunes or an iPod. That’s it, until the end of time.”
- Apple in talks to acquire Pinterest rival The Fancy?
- Google intros Nexus 7, Nexus Q as iPad, Apple TV rivals
- Samsung releases app to ease iOS to Galaxy transition
- Apple, Time reach agreement on magazine sales
- Microsoft unveils Xbox SmartGlass; links console to iPad, iPhone
- New HTC handsets face import delay due to Apple
- Apple Music makes much-anticipated debut with iOS 8.4 release
- Apple Q3 earnings call set for July 21
- Iovine: Human curation is key for Apple Music
- Dr. Dre’s ‘The Chronic’ to make streaming debut on Apple Music
- Apple Music roundup: iOS 8.4 to get early Tuesday release, Sonos support on the way
- Apple suppliers now making iPhones with Force Touch
- Parrot announces North American details for new Minidrone lineup
- AppleCare+ now covers battery replacement at 80% of original capacity
- Elton John, Pharrell, Dr. Dre, Drake, St. Vincent, others to host Beats 1 shows
- Apps containing Confederate flag pulled from App Store
- Soundfreaq Sound Kick 2 Wireless Travel Speaker
- iHome SoundFlask iBT32 Bluetooth Speaker
- IK Multimedia iKlip Grip
- Misfit Bolt Wirelessly Connected Smart Bulb
- Nomad Stand for Apple Watch
- MyCharge RazorUltra
- Ultimate Ears UE Roll Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Braven BRV-PRO Bluetooth Speaker
- Olloclip Active Lens for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Audiofly AF120 In-Ear Monitors
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps
- Opinion: The ‘Grand Experiment’ of shifting to Google Photos
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?