iTunes Bad, WMA Good
“After immersing myself in audio codecs (as research for a future article) and re-ripping most of my own collection, I’ve come to the conclusion that I really like WMA—and I really don’t like the whole iTunes/iPod thing.
AAC is a perfectly fine audio format. It sounds good. I don’t really want the music I pay money for to be encoded at 128k, but none of iTunes’ competitors are offering a higher bitrate, so I don’t have much choice there. The problem with AAC is that it doesn’t really have digital rights management, so songs you buy through the iTunes Music Store have an Apple-specific proprietary digital rights management scheme called FairPlay attached to them. AAC may be a format that many desktop applications (like Winamp) can understand, and it’s certainly possible for non-iPod portable players to build in support for it, but iTunes and iPods understand FairPlay. If I buy music through the iTunes store, it will only play on iTunes or an iPod. That’s it, until the end of time.”
- Apple in talks to acquire Pinterest rival The Fancy?
- Google intros Nexus 7, Nexus Q as iPad, Apple TV rivals
- Samsung releases app to ease iOS to Galaxy transition
- Apple, Time reach agreement on magazine sales
- Microsoft unveils Xbox SmartGlass; links console to iPad, iPhone
- New HTC handsets face import delay due to Apple
- AT&T wants $100M data throttling fine thrown out
- Apple Music added to T-Mobile’s Music Freedom
- Report: Apple Music hits 10M subscribers
- Apple Maps vans landing in France, Sweden in August
- Report: Slimmer iPad mini 4 on the way, upgraded iPad Air 3 a possibility
- Beijing police bust massive iPhone counterfeiting operation
- Report: Apple interested in BMW i3 as ‘starting point’ for its own car
- Nike to offer customers cash in proposed FuelBand settlement
- Apple Watch coming to Best Buy on August 7
- iLounge Weekly coming Monday, subscribe now
- Zivix Jamstik+ MIDI Guitar Controller
- Ulak Lumenair for iPhone 6
- Apple iPod touch (Sixth-Generation)
- Ventev Powercell 3015c and Powercell 6000+
- Bowers & Wilkins P5 Wireless Headphones
- IK Multimedia iRig Mic Studio
- iClever Apple Watch Charging Stand
- TempTraq Wearable Bluetooth Thermometer
- JBL Clip+ Bluetooth Speaker
- Monk Magnet Wallet Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps
- Opinion: The ‘Grand Experiment’ of shifting to Google Photos
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?