iTunes Bad, WMA Good | iLounge News

iTunes Bad, WMA Good

“After immersing myself in audio codecs (as research for a future article) and re-ripping most of my own collection, I’ve come to the conclusion that I really like WMA—and I really don’t like the whole iTunes/iPod thing.

AAC is a perfectly fine audio format. It sounds good. I don’t really want the music I pay money for to be encoded at 128k, but none of iTunes’ competitors are offering a higher bitrate, so I don’t have much choice there. The problem with AAC is that it doesn’t really have digital rights management, so songs you buy through the iTunes Music Store have an Apple-specific proprietary digital rights management scheme called FairPlay attached to them. AAC may be a format that many desktop applications (like Winamp) can understand, and it’s certainly possible for non-iPod portable players to build in support for it, but iTunes and iPods understand FairPlay. If I buy music through the iTunes store, it will only play on iTunes or an iPod. That’s it, until the end of time.”

« Marware announces new iPod mini cases

iPod, the new album - CDs going away? »

Comments

Despite beeing a proud owner of a 3g Ipod, I completly agree with the article above. This is not something that i like to admit, as I am usually a big fan of apple products, but I think that Apple Music Store really sucks.

Sure Apple has a (fully deserved) reputation of high quality nd Microsoft a (sometimes fully deserved too) reputation of crap - and I know it personnaly as I desperatly don’t have enough money to get an apple computer and stay stucked with my pc Windows. But this is something that many people seem not to have understood here: WMA IS NOT BAD, IT REALLY COMPARES TO AAC.

I know this is hard to admit for us Ipod owners, but apple’s choice of AAC was not a matter of user’s convenience or audio quality: it was a strategic choice in the “battle” against Microsoft. Apple is trying to play the same game as Microsoft, and there is no doubt for me that they will lose. Unfortunately for those who have paid (a lot) for low quality 128k AAC which will never be compatible with any other mp3 player (some beeing very good, despite the very partial opinion of some Ipod fanatic)

Posted by boleo on February 16, 2004 at 4:24 PM (PDT)

You don’t need to hunt on Cnet for Windows programs to play AAC - there’s a banner advert at the top of this page for Media Center that plays AACs!

Posted by No Hunting Required on February 17, 2004 at 12:04 PM (PDT)

I am considering buying an IPOD.  My concern is that I want to download music from other online music stores. Since the format of these downloaded albums are WMA, I am concerned that I cannot import these songs onto an IPOD.  Is there a way to easily convert downloaded albums so they can be imported into an IPOD?

Posted by Mark Burkholz on February 18, 2004 at 6:16 PM (PDT)

Duffy, FULLNESS from a CD?

if you want FULLNESS listen to vinyl you tool. Owning 500$ earphones and you dont even know what you’re talking about.

Posted by Stasyna on March 6, 2004 at 12:09 PM (PDT)

I play my ITMS files on my iRock MP3 player.  I have a shadow system where I keep unprotected MP3 versions of my files. I have them all on an iPod, too. Oh, before somebody calls me stupid, I use the MP3 when I am skiing, biking etc. because it was $50, not $300.

Posted by MacDaddy on March 14, 2004 at 5:47 PM (PDT)

So what method do you use to shadow them?  Do you burn and re-rip them as MP3s, or do you have an easier method.  One way I have thought of is to use some sort of program such as CoolEdit to capture sound travelling through the sound card as you play the file.  I haven’t actually tried this, but I wonder if it would work?

Posted by Green on March 14, 2004 at 9:28 PM (PDT)

Page 4 of 4 pages « First  <  2 3 4