iTunes boosts prime time ratings for NBC, ABC | iLounge News

iTunes boosts prime time ratings for NBC, ABC

By LC Angell

Contributing Editor
Published: Monday, January 16, 2006
News Categories: iTunes

Both NBC and ABC have seen a rise in viewer ratings since adding select TV shows to the iTunes Music Store. NBC credits the availability of its shows on iTunes for the recent increase in viewers during prime time for one of its popular comedies.

NBC’s “The Office,” the most popular show on iTunes, delivered a 5.1 rating last Thursday—its highest ever—among adults 18 to 49. The series delivered a 4.5 the prior week. An NBC executive said he is confident that the iTunes exposure contributed to the rise. Frederick Huntsberry, president of NBCU Television Distribution, said iTunes is bringing new audiences to the show that would not otherwise have watched.

Meanwhile, ABC has also seen a ratings increase for its two most popular shows available on iTunes. Since they were added to Apple’s store in October, both “Lost” and “Desperate Housewives” are up versus the same period last year. “Lost” has seen its total audience rise 14 percent and ratings for adults 18 to 49 are up 28 percent. The total audience for “Desperate Housewives” is up 7 percent and 18 to 49 ratings are up 3 percent.

« Koyono offers new outerwear with iPod controls

Jobs: Microsoft must build MP3 player this year to compete »

Comments

bittorrent has been increasing network tv ratings for 2 years but never really gets any credit.  The MPAA don’t want us to know this fact.

Anyone who is interested in how internet distribution of TV content increases viewer ratings should read the article

Posted by Harpdog Johnson on January 17, 2006 at 4:18 AM (PDT)

Hi! I’m correlation! How are you guys?

Posted by Correlation on January 17, 2006 at 7:40 AM (PDT)

Nice to meet you, man. I’m Causation. Did you know that we are to completely different things?

Posted by Causation on January 17, 2006 at 7:41 AM (PDT)

@ causation and correlation

Posted by lol on January 17, 2006 at 7:50 AM (PDT)

FWIW,
The only reason I started recording Lost on my TiVo is because I ran across it on the iTMS one day when I was bored out of my skull.

Posted by otherguy on January 17, 2006 at 8:29 AM (PDT)

‘you said correlation is not causation’ is a line in soul coughing song.
at last they meet

Posted by soul coughing on January 17, 2006 at 8:49 AM (PDT)

Hi, I’m English.  I use the word “two” when I mean more than one. Of course, like the others I’m merely trying to seem smart by attacking in a cute way.

Posted by English on January 17, 2006 at 9:21 AM (PDT)

I big “Thank You!” to all of you, my followers, that comment for my cause!

Posted by Idiotic on January 17, 2006 at 6:23 PM (PDT)

when are they gonna come out with movies on the ipod???

Posted by ipoder555 on January 20, 2006 at 8:09 PM (PDT)

What can happen alot with “hit shows” that people who watch tv once a week see advertised during a sporting event or desperate housewives or whichever is that they actually ‘hook’ viewers, who think that the show seems interesting or cool, but figure that it’s to late to start to watch, because they’re already too far behind (I don’t watch twenty four for this very reason).

I think that Itunes helps these very people, to see whether or not they like the show on their schedule, without programming/taking up queue space in the tivo that they may or may not have, and that some people are watching on itunes and getting so excited about the show that now they have to watch it.

Posted by BuhGilroy on January 22, 2006 at 1:43 AM (PDT)