iTunes coming to Motorola cell phones | iLounge News

iTunes coming to Motorola cell phones

Motorola, Inc. and Apple today announced they are partnering to enable millions of music lovers to transfer their favorite songs from the iTunes jukebox on their Mac or PC, including songs from the iTunes Music Store, to Motorola’s next-generation ‘always with you’ mobile handsets, via a USB or Bluetooth wireless connection. Apple will create a new iTunes mobile music player, which Motorola will make the standard music application on all their mass-market music phones, expected to be available in the first half of next year.

« Airport Express can charge iPod

Exclusive: iPod 4G Audio Problems? »

Comments

I wonder if there’s going to be a way to listen to online radio streams, just like iTunes is capable of on the computer… I would totally love that!!

Posted by UTEP_MinerPod on July 26, 2004 at 5:26 PM (PDT)

Sounds like a good way for Apple and the iPod/iTunes system to gain a foothold in an important future market. (And make Apple some license money in the process.)

Posted by Nagromme on July 26, 2004 at 6:39 PM (PDT)

seems like an obvious next step. not too much of a surprise… the only real surprise i guess is they waited so long.

can’t wait for the day when the ipod is “wireless” and the itms and internet radio is available on the ipod itself.

Posted by travis on July 27, 2004 at 3:59 AM (PDT)

This is huge—for all the folks who said Apple was bound to make the same mistakes with keeping iPod and iTunes proprietary like they did with the Mac in the 80s and 90s, this is proof they learned from their mistakes. iTunes will most likely morph into some kind of all-encompasing media server for your house in the next few years, letting you dump media to and from your Tivo-type units, iPods, computers, cell phones, PDA (if anyone has those anymore!), etc. At least, that’s what I would do.

Posted by Dolt on July 27, 2004 at 4:45 AM (PDT)

It also gets Apple into the cellphone market.  Imagine if Motorola and Apple worked together to make an iPod with a cellphone built in.  Even a 4 gig (mini sized) phone/iPod combo would be great.

Currently you can transfer MP3 files onto Motorola phones (like the V300 / V600) using USB/Bluetooth.  The main disadvantage of course is memory and add on kits to listen to the music in stereo can run up in price as much as an iPod, so as it stands there’s not a lot to get excited about yet.

Posted by Jeffery Simpson on July 27, 2004 at 7:04 AM (PDT)

Will this allow me to use iTunes music as a ring tone or just to listen to? Because I can record ring tones thru the speaker but the quality is ######!

Posted by AZ on July 27, 2004 at 9:37 AM (PDT)

Most 3G phones are able to play AAC files but only the unprotected ones e.g. SE Z1010, Moto E1000, Moto A1000 and V1000
Apple are taking it to the next step

Posted by Moo on July 27, 2004 at 12:05 PM (PDT)

The phones will only be able to dowload 12 to 24 songs from the users iTunes library at a time.  Songs either purchased from iTMS or downloaded from the users own CD collection.  There will be no direct link to iTMS.  Quicktime is also involved in the mix as well.  Great move by Apple.  Although it is “non-exclusive” I would suspsect that Moto got assurances that no competitors (Nokia, Samsung, LG) would be signed up until they had a head start of 6 months at the minimum.  Otherwise, why invest in new phone development?  HP isn’t getting any competition in re-branding iPods for the forseeable future either.

Posted by pkradd on July 27, 2004 at 12:55 PM (PDT)

I hope they improve the phones speakers for a better sound quality then what they have now.

Posted by WOLF MAN on July 28, 2004 at 3:55 AM (PDT)

That’s great news for Moto and Apple. So far, only Moto E398 have the capability to play Mp3 music in stereo sound and set as ring tones and SMS tones.

Just can’t wait to happen!

Posted by Tina on July 28, 2004 at 10:59 PM (PDT)

It’s really a poor choice to pick Motorola. Motorola is only popular with Americans. They are no longer in the top 3 in the cell phone world. Their design is horrid and not interface not intuitive. They should have pick Nokia or SonyEricssion or Samsung instead.

Posted by Richard Leong on July 29, 2004 at 7:00 AM (PDT)

I may be biased because I’ve contracted at Motorola for a couple of years now, but c’mon, Nokia phones don’t even come anywhere close to the quality of Motorola phones.  There’s no comparison even, and don’t even get me started on that retarded Nokia where there’s not even a button for each number on the phone (like it’s cool to have fewer buttons and having to hit some kind of shift key to get to them all).  I got stuck with a Nokia on my last cellphone contract and have been counting the days until I can renew with a Motorola phone.

Posted by Nokia over Motorola?! on July 29, 2004 at 7:04 AM (PDT)

A cell phone with iTunes built in. How will this be any different than an iPod, save for the limited storage space?

Posted by shaun3000 on July 30, 2004 at 10:47 AM (PDT)

I hope the Treo 600/Palm OS is next for iTunes. Then even if I forgot my iPod I would have a backup.

Posted by Tphillips63 on August 1, 2004 at 1:03 PM (PDT)

i have a usb cord and i want to transfer mp3 from my computer to my motorola V600 how do you do it and what program do you use thank you very much

Posted by les on August 5, 2005 at 11:17 AM (PDT)

i bought a $15 itune card how do i download to my it on my motarola cell phone

Posted by anita smith on November 3, 2008 at 6:23 PM (PDT)