iTunes for Linux | iLounge News

iTunes for Linux

“CodeWeavers, which specializes in software that lets Windows programs run on Linux, said on Monday that it has a new version of its software that adds support for Apple Computer’s iTunes.

The company said CrossOver Office 3.1 adds support for the jukebox and music download software. The version is currently in preview form and is being made available only to existing CrossOver Office customers.”

« Toshiba announces 60GB 1.8-inch hard drive

Mad Catz announce new iPod accessories »

Comments

what sane person would use linux. i nearly punched in the linux computer i was using at school

Posted by ti on August 4, 2004 at 12:30 PM (CDT)

“what sane person would use linux”

More peope use Linux than use Mac OSX. I guess that makes Linux people saner than Mac Heads, eh?

Posted by numbers on August 4, 2004 at 1:03 PM (CDT)

any sane person would get rid of linux for MacOSX like I have.

Posted by tussery on August 4, 2004 at 1:30 PM (CDT)

linux is the same as mac osx just not telletubby buttons. i dont have anything against mac but id rather have linux then a mac, and the numbers prove everything…

Posted by animalchin on August 4, 2004 at 2:21 PM (CDT)

“numbers prove everything”

I’m a Mac OS X user and I know that numbers don’t prove everything…. there are far more cockroaches on earth then there are humans, but that dosn’t make cockroaches the superior race does it?

Posted by langeatang07 on August 4, 2004 at 2:32 PM (CDT)

Let’s hope there’s no nuclear winter, otherwise they will be.

Posted by Joshdude in Long Beach, CA on August 4, 2004 at 3:30 PM (CDT)

I have both an iMac and a Linux box on my desk.  I really like the ease of use and power of apps like iPhoto and iTunes.  By the same token, I appreciate the deluge of free software available in the Linux community. to do things that I would have to pay $$$$$ for on Mac OS X.

I like the best of both worlds, but I understand how some people have to put blinders on and play “us versus them”.

Posted by mportuesi on August 4, 2004 at 4:24 PM (CDT)

Dose it works with powerpc linux?
You can even run linux on a mac, I have an iBook running yellow dog linux.

Posted by redruM on August 4, 2004 at 5:14 PM (CDT)

I never understood the popularity of Linux, it’s one of the most unstable Unix variants available, about the only Unix variants it’s more stable than is Minix.

Posted by Arnold J on August 4, 2004 at 5:25 PM (CDT)

“What sane person would Linux?”

People who are more computer literate or trying to learn the real world computers. It requires more skills and knowledge in computing.  Advance features of Mac OX X use the same bash scripts, admin stuff, etc. in Linux. I guess you Mac OS users try first to “Console / Terminal ” program before you use linux.

You would understand the popularity of Linux if you use it. Otherwise, stop commenting about Linux when you have not use it for months or years. Linux empowers the geek in you!

Posted by NS on August 4, 2004 at 6:07 PM (CDT)

I am really suprise why Apple does n’t have iTunes for Linux when Mac OS X uses C++ application development framework with KDE i.e. Qt (http://www.trolltech.com/products/qt/index.html). It doen’t to be open-source, just Opera.

Safari came from Konqueror JFYI.

Posted by NS on August 4, 2004 at 6:26 PM (CDT)

I’d rather have any one of the other unixes to empower the geek in me.

Posted by Arnold J on August 4, 2004 at 9:25 PM (CDT)

why don’t you just put Minix empowers the geek in you

Posted by Solaris on August 4, 2004 at 9:29 PM (CDT)

Veritas makes Linux as strong as Solaris :-), just a note.

If you want to know more about Linux nowadays.

Minix, who is using it now?

Posted by NS on August 4, 2004 at 10:04 PM (CDT)

but it doesn’t make it as stable

that comment I made about Minix was just a smart aleck comment aimed at you and Arnold J.

Posted by Solaris on August 4, 2004 at 10:20 PM (CDT)

Hmmmph…

So no actual comments about how well iTunes runs under Crossover office…

I thought it was Mac vs Windows, now I realise it’s Mac vs anything that Mac users feel threatened by. It must be hard making friends when the only friends you guys can keep are Mac users ;-)

Posted by SoloMalee on August 5, 2004 at 12:11 AM (CDT)

I’d like to wait and see how gtkPod matures first… call me weird but i prefer native to n layers of emulation

Posted by Adam on August 5, 2004 at 3:15 AM (CDT)

My comments weren’t Mac vs Windows, or Mac vs anything that Mac users feel threatened by, mine were every Unix variant against Linux & Minix.

Posted by Arnold J on August 5, 2004 at 5:22 AM (CDT)

“Numbers prove everything…”

Okay, fine. “Though Linux on the desktop is making gains, it has a long way to go to challenge Microsoft. By the end of the year, Linux will be running on 1 percent of the desktop PC’s worldwide, compared with 2.8 percent for Apple’s Macintosh, and 96 percent for Microsoft’s Windows, according to the research firm Gartner.” -Steve Lohr
06/28/04, LinuxInsider.com

How about we use actual numbers next time?

Posted by KevboY2K on August 5, 2004 at 4:07 PM (CDT)

Linux is great!  Not to say that Mac Os isn’t.  But for you osx users out there, your OS is built on a BSD kernel (unix).  Not that much different the linux.

Arnold J…..which unix variant would you like to use???

Posted by toothpaste in NYC on August 6, 2004 at 6:24 AM (CDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >