iTunes for Windows Forum Added | iLounge News

iTunes for Windows Forum Added

We recently added a iTunes sub-forum under our Windows forums. It’s already quite busy with over 15 topics.

iTunes for Windows Forum

« 2.1 Doesn’t Fix Gap Between Songs

Apple Posts New TV Spot »

Comments

I’m tired of beta-testing for Apple! iTunes is not great!! It rips slow! It’s a major resource hog! It was not worth the all nighter to install it and use it! MMJB may not be elegant but it worked reliably and let ME control my music downloads and transfers. ANAPOD is even better (and it works fine on my WinXP ThinkPad and 30gb iPod with 2.1 Update. A slower, only Apple way, of managing ALL of my music files!!!!???? NFW Steve! There are too many alternatives to buy music on the Web for me to give up my control. Wake me when a good version is released!

Posted by Joepure on October 17, 2003 at 1:21 PM (CDT)

I am a die-hard Mac user, but I had to download iTunes for Windows on my PC. It is a woefully underposwered P3 (I don’t even know what clock speed it is), with about 300Mb of RAM and a 7Gb HD under Windows 2000 (and a slow CD-ROM drive).

iTunes works fine! I had to install some of Microsoft’s silly updates, reboot a couple of times, but otherwise I couldn’t be happier. Ripped a few tracks from CD (I don’t have a fast burner, so it ripped at about3x). Turned several of my Windows buddies on to it, and they love it.

The only issue I noticed was iTunes stripping tags of some MP3 files, but I noticed that behavior with MMJB.

All in all, great stuff from Apple.

Posted by Scott on October 17, 2003 at 2:35 PM (CDT)

Isn’t it odd how people slag off MMJB - then list all the problems they are having with iTunes not installing properly, ripping too slowly, stripping off tags…  Shurely shomething wrong there?

Posted by Sir Alan on October 17, 2003 at 4:15 PM (CDT)

OK, so I’m just about to install iTunes when I read this:

“Important: After installing iTunes 4.1 for Windows, you’ll only be able to transfer music to your iPod using iTunes. To transfer music from MusicMatch Jukebox or Audible Manager to your iPod, you’ll need to first import the music into iTunes. For more information, search iTunes and Music Store Help.”  I’m not sure if I’m ready to give up my freedom to use MM or Ephpod.  I know that iTunes is cool, but doesn’t it also limit the sharing of music and the number of PCs that you can put your music on?  Am I just being paranoid?  If there’s a workaround for this, please advise.  -tks

Posted by Apple of my iPod on October 17, 2003 at 4:15 PM (CDT)

EXACTLY! I have less of a problem with iTunes wanting to be the manager of all of my media if it is a smart, efficient and fast program. Unfortunately, it is only clever. If I lost tags on my 3000 plus tunes… I would personally have to find the project manager at apple and break his hands! It’s no small job to re-tag a library of music! I know apple can and WILL improve iTunes… until then there are MANY other solutions that do a fantastic job of making my iPod indispensible! JO

Posted by Joepure on October 17, 2003 at 4:20 PM (CDT)

Just downloaded iTunes for PC and installed it onto all of my PCs.

One problem, whenever I try to connect to the Music Store, I get an error that reads “We could not complete your music store request. There was an error in the music store, please try again later.”

Posted by Chris on October 17, 2003 at 4:27 PM (CDT)

You’re NOT being paranoid!  I wish I had seen that warning when I installed iTunes.  Now I can’t use XPlay or Anapod.  I uninstalled iTunes, which allowed me to use Media Center 9, but that’s it.

BTW, I was able to EphPod while iTunes was installed…

All in all, this update (2.1) and iTunes release has been a MAJOR pain in the a$$!!!  I hope Apple fixes this soon…

-e

Posted by Eddie on October 17, 2003 at 4:36 PM (CDT)

UGH!!! I downloaded itunes lastnight.  Ipodsync will work but you must have itunes opened when you sync your ipod with outlook.  I also ran into problems with music store and norton personal firewall (one of the most widely used personal firewalls in the world).  It must be disabled so you can order anything from the store, very unfortunate for those of us with highspeed connections and opening ourselves to all sorts of bad things.  Security is something apple obviously doesn’t need to think about.  Steve Jobs this is not the best app windows has ever had.  Cool idea and I’m all for it but…..Gee thanks for spewing your program all over my register.    Apple released this without adaquate beta testing and it shows.

Posted by Hub on October 17, 2003 at 5:10 PM (CDT)

I spent half the day getting iTunes to work. Initial installation hung during the Qtime 6.4 install. Removed everything and restarted and found that iTunes refused to see the iPod. Eventually reformatted the iPod (already windows format) and it worked fine at last. I’m running a 1200 Mhz Athlon and the performance seems OK (touch wood) although I’ve not tried ripping yet. I have never used the mac version and I have to say that now its working the UI seems a lot beter than Music Match. Although I miss the super tagging. The UI of iTunes is certainly faster on my machine than with Musicmatch. The ratings capability and the syncing of it between the iPod and PC is nice to have at last.

Posted by Stile on October 17, 2003 at 5:38 PM (CDT)

If I were looking at iTunes as a WinAmp or MusicMatch user, it would probably seem absolutely amazing. But although it’s a pretty nice app and reasonably powerful, I’m pretty sure I won’t switch over from Media Jukebox, which I’ve been using for the last couple of years, because iTunes’ playlist management is a lot less powerful than I’m used to.

MJ has had the “make a playlist out of query parameters” feature for years, but takes it further: you can define custom fields in the database and search on them (though to be fair, iTunes already includes the things I used those custom fields for.) More importantly, its notion of (non-dynamic) playlists is much more flexible—you can use a song’s presence on a static playlist as a query parameter for a smartlist. I’ve come to think of playlists as a way of attaching attributes to songs. It’s a much more flexible, nuanced way to represent things like genre, where multiple values can easily apply to a song.

How is that useful? Well, for example, I have a playlist of background music for dinner parties. If I’m serving Mexican food one night, I can whip up a quick smartlist that says, “Play all the songs on both the Dinner playlist and the Latin playlist.” Or better, if I decide I only want instrumental pieces, “Play all the songs on both the Dinner playlist and the Latin playlist, except ones on the Has Lyrics playlist.”

As far as I can tell, other than putting lists of keywords in the Comments field and doing string searches, there’s no way to do flexible user-data-driven queries like that in iTunes. You can add a song to a playlist, but the playlist is a data sink—you can’t leverage it for anything else. (If I’m wrong about that, please clue me in!)

MJ also has a robust plugin interface for audio codecs, rip/burn capability, a built-in sound editor if you want to make a mix CD with fancy effects, ReplayGain support (same as iTunes’ volume leveling), and supports downloading to a variety of portable MP3 players. The latest incarnation can also manage libraries of video files.

Other than the selection at the iTunes Store, I don’t see a single thing iTunes gives me that I haven’t already been enjoying for years with my existing software.

Posted by MJ on October 17, 2003 at 5:44 PM (CDT)

Guyver-Iron Maiden?!?!-LOL!!! I can’t talk cause sometimes I use the Cramps for comparisons… . Have you tried using source material with a lot of dynamic shifts? Or maybe source material with a flat soundstage? Or your fave song? According to a friend of mine who is a sound engineer,these two ways are a good way to do comparisons.They work wonders…
  Also,the feedback on this thread has been great. I was really upset because I only have Win Me,but the more I read,the more I think maybe it’s cool to wait. I still think ITunes is a great idea,but this seems like this is a beta version(which is still a pretty good deal). So maybe I’ll be okay waiting until I get a new computer or AOL and Apple pull it together…

Posted by Christianicononev.2 on October 17, 2003 at 6:35 PM (CDT)

I’m ready to smash my Ipod.  I just bought it yesterday.  It froze with the error message, “Do not disconnect”.  I can’t reformat it or turn it off.  The computer doesn’t recognize it.  What can I do?  Please help

Posted by Goingtosmashmyipod on October 17, 2003 at 8:32 PM (CDT)

I was wondering if anyone is having any of these minor issues with iTunes. When you grab the lower right hand corner to drag it and make it bigger, the response time is slow. I have a fast computer and plenty of ram, but it seems kind of slugish. The response time in clicking or any operation seems to be less than instantaneous. Also when I connect the iPod it takes about a good minute to recogize it. Are these things normal - does anyone else feel like Itunes may run a bit sluggish compared to other mp3 apps. I have a P4 1.7ghz and 392megs of ram, tons of hard drive space. Anyone have any feedback?

Posted by Jeff on October 17, 2003 at 9:39 PM (CDT)

Wow…I’m shocked at all the problems I’m seeing…I’m usually the guy with “nuthin’ but trubble.”

iTunes has been absolutely flawless for me so far, and is playing nicely with both xplay AND ephpod, with both a winpod and a macpod.

Posted by stark23x on October 17, 2003 at 11:36 PM (CDT)

Installed on my office computer, only hitch was a error on installing Quicktime 6.4, easily fixed by opening up Quicktime and selecting update.  I am behind a PIX firewall at work.  No problems with browsing the store.  Installed on my home computer WinXP, 1800 Athlon, Cable Modem w/ Router/Firewall.  No problems here either.  I still have MMJ installed along with Real Player, Windows Media Player, IPOD seems to be doing fine.  I keep waiting for all of these errors that people are experiencing, but haven’t had one yet.  I guess Jeebus is on my side.

Posted by J-Lu on October 17, 2003 at 11:53 PM (CDT)

Goingtosmashmyipod: Look in the system tray (lower right had corner of the taskbar) for a thing that looks like a lighter. Right click it and then left click on “Safely remove hardware”. Click through a couple dialog boxes, identifying the ipod, and a bubble should appear telling you it is ok to pull the plug.

If that doesn’t work, plug it into the power plug and at the same time hold down the middle two buttons for 20 seconds.

If that doesn’t work, smash it.

Posted by snowmouse on October 18, 2003 at 1:30 AM (CDT)

itunes won’t install on xp pro—hangs on the ‘next’ screen, the one with the girl laughing(at me, as it turns out!)  WTF?  it installed fine on my win2k box at work, what’s up, apple QA?

Posted by ojingoh on October 18, 2003 at 3:59 AM (CDT)

Anyone know why i cant put .aac files on my ipod from itunes? Should i be able to?

Posted by Slinc on October 18, 2003 at 5:07 AM (CDT)

.m4a files even

Posted by Slinc on October 18, 2003 at 5:11 AM (CDT)

one word for you - trash.  i cant believe how incredibly bad itunes has scrambled and destoryed my playlists.  i have 40gb ipod and have way over 7000+ songs on it and after uninstalling itunes and 3 hours later i have REPAIRED the damage that itunes did to my ipod.  this is not a windows friendly app.  on top of that if you use mmjb or anapod or any aftermarket software, BEWARE.  itunes has a funny way of disabling aftermarket software, acutally its not that funny.  it has rendered mmjb useless for anything other than a ripper and as i agree with several others that mmjb is not the greatest of apps it did what it was supposed to.  i went back to ANAPOD which is the best software on the market for windows users that have ipods.  it does all the things that you wish other apps would do.  so much for paying for music.  its not worth going through the hassle of jacking my ipod up again to ever put itunes on my machine again.  itunes is crap.  the only thing it is good for is a portal.  for the hassle i will drive to the store and buy the cd.

Posted by FL0OD on October 18, 2003 at 8:28 AM (CDT)

Page 3 of 7 pages  < 1 2 3 4 5 >  Last ›

Please enter the word you see in the image below: