iTunes for Windows may face new piracy threat | iLounge News

iTunes for Windows may face new piracy threat

“Apple’s successful music download service iTunes faces a new threat of misuse now that it has been extended to include users of Microsoft’s Windows operating system, say experts.

The threat comes from the combination of the relatively light copy protection iTunes uses and the big increase of potential hackers that comes with opening up to the world’s most common operating system.

The paid-for download service was the first to lure music fans away from free file-sharing music networks. Since launching in April 2003, Apple says more than 13 million songs have been downloaded.”

« Belkin posts iPod Voice Recorder support documents

Apple/Analysts on the iTunes Music Store, iPod »

Comments

I’ve heard from an iTMS user that if you import the song into ‘Toast’ and reencode to AIFF and then back to whatever format you like via iTunes you can get rid of the DMR.  I.e. unprotected track….

I do believe that Toast6 has some work around but its always possible ;)

Posted by bsodmike on October 18, 2003 at 4:15 AM (CDT)

that’s the beaty of iTMS - once you burn/convert AAC, MP3 or what ever into AiFF (unprotected format) then what you get is protection free file to then be converted into anything else (eg. mp3 VBR), aboslutely unlimited. The extra step is Apple’s argument that it’s the same as some one burning a CD for a friend (meaning you still had to burn it, which takes time, how much is time?)... but yeah, you can have a “fairplay” and do what you wish just like a PHYSICAL CD does.

Posted by voodoo on October 18, 2003 at 6:48 AM (CDT)

Considering all the completely unencumbered tracks floating around on the net, the additional security risk to the recording industry is nil.

Besides, if they are grasping at straws like the recent ‘copy-protection’ scheme that could be defeated by holding down the shift key, the DRM in ITMS tracks is plenty good enough.  At least it takes a few brain cells to work around.

Posted by sward on October 18, 2003 at 7:22 AM (CDT)

I think one aspect of iTunes is that it offers people a legal way to buy music over the internet.  The hope is that people will do the right thing and give up stealing their music now that they have legitimate alternative.  Of course, a certain contingent won’t do that till RIAA sues them, but if enough folks do, then Apple’s weak copy protection will probably end up being a compromise the music industry will accept.  Too strong DRM and people will return to piracy, too weak and it will be too easy to illegally distribute legally bought music.  Hopefully Apple has found the feasible middle ground.

Posted by Byron on October 18, 2003 at 9:56 AM (CDT)

You don’t need to burn at all. CD uses CDA files i believe.

Just convert your AAC into CDA (as if your preparing to burn a cd) and convert it into mp3.

It’s just that simple.

Posted by Bob on October 18, 2003 at 10:51 AM (CDT)

Obviously you can get around the copy protection, but the sound files will sound pretty bad—you’re starting with 128 kbps lossy format which loses bits and recompressing in lossy format meaning that you’ll end up with a pretty bad sounding file b/c you can’t have the same amount of bits as the original lossy copy.

Posted by orange on October 18, 2003 at 11:42 AM (CDT)

I believe voodoo makes the appropriate point here.  Yes, you can convert the songs into a unprotected format, but that is no different than what you were able to with CD’s.  The piracy issue is a joke.  Only recently have I begun to purchase CD’s after an extensive college piracy period (bless high-speed LAN’s).  I make no hesitation in purchasing music through A.M.S.  I reckon A.M.S. may actually result in a slight decrease in file-sharing activity.

I have both a mac and a pc, and to respond to orange, the conversion between mp3s and AAC from A.M.S is pretty damn good.  I am not an audiophile, but I demand high-quality sound from my files.  I have purchased ten songs through A.M.S. in the last three days.  I burnt them to an audio CD (AIFF), then ripped them back into AAC files on my pc using iTunes.  The difference in sound quality is negligable.  I tried to be as picky as possible, but at a high-quality encoding level you could notice almost no difference in sound.

For reference, I am running my iTunes tracks on the pc through the xitel hi-fi pro into my Yamaha reciever via an optical connection.  The speakers are high quality Energy Take 5.2’s.  This might be the reason why I do not hear much loss.

Posted by Tripleg on October 18, 2003 at 8:31 PM (CDT)

I think one aspect of purchased, protected music files apart from respecting copyrights is to discourage people from sharing them in P2P networks etc..Right ?? Well, if you paid a good 13 bucks for an album why on earth would you want someone to ‘steal’ it from you over some P2P utility. I think that human brain itself works hand in hand with things such as DMR and apple probably just trying their best to keep records companies mouths closed..

Posted by Bill on July 20, 2005 at 8:56 AM (CDT)