iTunes in the Cloud services now live on iOS 4 devices | iLounge News

iTunes in the Cloud services now live on iOS 4 devices

If you’ve purchased music or music videos from the iTunes Store in the past, now would be a good time to check out the iOS 4 version of the iTunes Store application. A new “Purchased” tab has just been added dynamically to the iPod touch, iPhone, and iPad versions of iTunes, enabling you to see and retrieve the entire collection of music that you’ve previously purchased from the iTunes Store—including music videos. This is the live implementation of the iTunes in the Cloud.

image

Several options are available from the Purchased tab. A list of “All” songs shows you everything you’ve purchased, with 50 Recent Purchases as a secondary list, above a scrollable alphabetical collection of individual artists with a number of downloaded files off to the side. You can Download All [Artist’s Name] Songs by clicking a cloud download icon, or do the same with the Recent Purchases list—but not the “All Songs” collection. You’re also able to use a tab to sort the list by Not On This iPad/iPhone/iPod files, seeing only the ones you don’t currently have on the device.

image

Songs are downloaded individually to the device, and cannot be streamed; this is solely a locker to retrieve tracks as needed for your device. For users who thought they’d lost their only backups of iTunes-purchased music, this is a great new feature, and provides high-quality 256kbps AAC versions of tracks, assuming that you purchased the “iTunes Plus” versions from Apple. We’ve discovered that tracks that were purchased at 128kbps and not upgraded to iTunes Plus will still redownload via iTunes in the Cloud at 128kbps.

Note: The feature appears to be working only for U.S. iTunes Store accounts for the time being, notes our Canada-based editor Jesse Hollington.

« New in iOS 5: Twitter integration + Reminders

Apple unveils $25/year iTunes Match service »

Comments

The beta doesn’t work on Verizon iPhone. Per Apple’s website: Available in beta now in the U.S. only and requires iOS 4.3.1 on iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4 (GSM model), iPod touch (3rd and 4th generation), iPad, or iPad 2, or a Mac or PC with iTunes 10.3. Previous purchases may be unavailable if they are no longer in the iTunes Store.

Posted by Marc on June 6, 2011 at 1:32 PM (PDT)

This is awesome! Makes me glad I never upgraded my songs to iTunes plus for $.30 a track, it almost came out to 50 to do them all. Downloading them all for free plus-style :D

Posted by jitaroo on June 6, 2011 at 1:59 PM (PDT)

My Beatles Box Set purchase isn’t showing up in my Purchased tab. I hope this is just a bug.

Posted by Gerry on June 6, 2011 at 2:07 PM (PDT)

Not yet available in the UK. Will post as soon as it goes live here!

Posted by cslbp on June 7, 2011 at 12:02 AM (PDT)

Ok, I’ve got it on the iPad but I can’t find it on the phones.  Anyone else?

Posted by Jerry Ferguson on June 7, 2011 at 6:24 AM (PDT)

So does iCloud sync smart playlists?

If I’ve got a playlist of 50 random 5 star songs not played in the last week and I wireless sync with iCloud does that playlist get updated to swap out the songs I’ve played that day?

Posted by Greg on June 7, 2011 at 7:54 AM (PDT)

Its kind of starting to sound like this could create headaches for say, a couple that shares an iTunes account but have different tastes in music. I’m glad they decided to hold off on the release of iOS5 until the fall. It will take at least that long to figure out how to filter my wife’s content from displaying in my cloud list or whatnot.

Posted by Paul on June 7, 2011 at 9:12 AM (PDT)

Actually, iTunes in the Cloud is a much simpler thing than most people are expecting here.  The service will basically do two things:

1. Let you view and download previously purchased music on a per-account basis, on demand.  You will need to sign into the specific account where you’ve purchased the music in order to see it and download it.

2. Provide the option to automatically download any new songs purchased on another device with the same iTunes Store account.

iTunes/iCloud will not sync any kind of metadata, or really sync anything at all with iTunes on your computer—it simply automatically downloads new purchases on any device you’ve specifically configured for this (there’s a new option for this in iTunes 10.3 on the “Store” tab).

This part is free for any iCloud user.  The separate “iTunes Match” service works as a sort of paid add-on that will allow any music you’ve acquired from other sources that is also available on the iTunes Store to be added to your purchase history in such a way that you can “re-download” those tracks in the same manner as any actual iTunes Store tracks.  iTunes Matched music will not automatically download anywhere, but will simply be available in your iTunes Store account for downloading on-demand.

What is unclear at this point is what happens if you don’t renew the $25/year iTunes Match service—do you lose access to all previously matched content or simply lose the ability to add new matched content?

Further, it is now clear that iTunes Match will be available only in the U.S.  It also appears, for now at least, that iTunes in the Cloud (the basic free service) is only available in the U.S.  This is all likely due to licensing negotiations in other countries.

Posted by Jesse Hollington in Toronto on June 7, 2011 at 11:20 AM (PDT)

I just updated my family’s iPad to 4.3.3 but the purchased tab hasn’t showed up yet. Will it take a little while for it to show up?

Posted by morgan on June 7, 2011 at 2:14 PM (PDT)

Are you using a U.S. iTunes Store account?  It seems to only be enabled in the U.S. right now.

Posted by Jesse Hollington in Toronto on June 7, 2011 at 2:25 PM (PDT)

@Jess - So what purpose would iTunes Match serve if it doesn’t automatically refresh smart playlists or similar?

I’ve got a large music collection on my main iMac with every device synced to it already, what does iTunes match do for me? Surely wireless syncing of smart playlists is the killer app, without it for most people its not giving them anything. Or am I overlooking something?

Posted by Greg on June 8, 2011 at 12:24 AM (PDT)

Yes I am, it came up with a message that said I could enablenautomatic downloading of songs I purchased on other devices but there still is no “purchased” tab on the iTunes app.

Posted by morgan on June 8, 2011 at 7:40 AM (PDT)

I am having the same problem.  I am in the US and everything (os, iTunes) is up to date, but still no purchased tab in iTunes.

Posted by Jill on July 27, 2011 at 1:18 PM (PDT)