iTunes interface patent awarded to Apple | iLounge News

iTunes interface patent awarded to Apple

“Apple Computer has won a patent for the interface of its iTunes music software, underscoring the growing importance of the multimedia business for the company.

The U.S. Patent and Trademark Office issued Apple a patent for its media player software interface on May 4, along with several other features of the company’s high-profile products. Other parts of the iTunes software, including the ability to stream songs over a network to another copy of the program, had been the subject of earlier patents.”

« iPod mini, more than just an audio player

JAVOScreen iPod mini screen protector released »

Comments

“A RealNetworks spokesman said his company had not sought any directly comparable interface patents for its 10-year-old media player software, for example.”

What a deliciously cNet point to add. Of course Real hasn’t patented any of their interfaces. You only patent something that runs a reasonable risk of being ripped off, and I don’t see how any software publisher in its right mind would try to mimic a horrid interface like RealPlayer’s. Sheesh.

Posted by Big Jim on May 11, 2004 at 8:45 PM (PDT)

Agreed.  Everything Real does is lame.  Why the hell does anyone still use it!  Well I guess the same thing could be said about Windoze…

Posted by george dubya bush on May 11, 2004 at 11:01 PM (PDT)

Personally, I think that these “look-and-feel” patents are utterly stupid. Hell, I could patent the design of a website I made, then sue any other webmaster who had come up with a vaugely similar design.

Posted by fenn on May 12, 2004 at 1:09 AM (PDT)

umm… Winamp has been able to stream songs over a network to another copy of itself for years… long before iTunes.

Posted by Eric on May 12, 2004 at 1:24 AM (PDT)

Just more proof that our current intellectual property (IP) laws (patents & copyrights) are in desperate need of a major overhaul!!!

Unfortunately, that will never happen since the major corporations have spent major bucks buying enough of our ‘elected’ officials to get the laws into their current state.

If anyone still believes that the IP laws, in their current state, promote competition, creativity, and invention as they were originally intended, then they really need to do some more studying!

Posted by IDSmoker on May 12, 2004 at 5:08 AM (PDT)

Sure, I can download from a number of different web based services, but the sheer simplicity of the iTunes interface and the way it communicates with my iPod are unbelievable! It’s all about the flow, I pick a song, download it and walk away from computer with the song on my portable device, without hassles! Apple got it right!

Seamless integration = software + products + life

Posted by Stylescraper on May 12, 2004 at 5:09 AM (PDT)

Other companies design their software and MP3 players as separate and distinct items! Apple combined these elements into a seamless, intuitive system that works! This definitely calls for a patent!

I used to own a Rio MP3 player! My “play/pause” button broke off after constant wear and tear! The iPod’s touch sensitive interface deserves a patent!

Posted by stylescraper on May 12, 2004 at 7:19 AM (PDT)

Asserting the patent is a different story.

Posted by Media Center on May 12, 2004 at 9:07 AM (PDT)

Posted by Stylescraper on May 12, 2004 at 10:00 AM (PDT)

Posted by stylescraper on May 12, 2004 at 10:04 AM (PDT)

“Given that Media Center has had a similar GUI and superior network streaming for several years before iTunes, I think this proves that if you have enough lawyers you can convince the USPTO to patent anything.”

Sounds like what Bill Gates did to Mac OS! Turnabout is fair play!

Posted by Stylescraper on May 12, 2004 at 10:16 AM (PDT)

“Sounds like what Bill Gates did to Mac OS! Turnabout is fair play!”

*sigh*

This always happens. I was talking about Media Center, made by J River, and not Media Player, made by Microsoft. Media Center is quite well established, there’s even an iPodLounge forum devoted to it:

Both Apple and Microsoft have a long, similar history of copying third-party small and innovative software developers for their respective platforms. THey see that someone has developed something spiffy and set about copying it or rolling it into the base OS. Embrace and Extend and all that.

Posted by Read Carefully on May 12, 2004 at 12:45 PM (PDT)

“Media Center? Similiar GUI? Give me a freakin’ break! Can I burn CD’s with one click of a button? I think NOT!”

Gosh. That “Burn CD” icon in the bottom left must be a figment of my imagination then?

“All Media Center’s Music Program does is allow for playback and shuffling of your music library!”

Not true. Like iTunes, Media Center has autodiscovery of other Media Center clients, and server<->client streaming.

Unlike iTunes, the streaming is not limited to LANs but works over WANs, over the Internet. For example, I stream my home music collection to my work PC. Saves me carrying lots of stuff and given there are several hundred GBs that would take a lot of iPods.

And of course, being a *Media* Center and not an Audio Center, I can stream any audio *or* video format I wish. It’s especially good for TIVOing broadcast TV using a tuner card, transcoding it to a lower bandwidth, then streaming it to the work PC.

Posted by Features on May 12, 2004 at 12:50 PM (PDT)

Next time state the product clearly!

Typical Windoze users!

Posted by stylescraper on May 13, 2004 at 11:03 AM (PDT)

“Next time state the product clearly! - Typical Windoze users!”

I believe the poster did state the product’s name clearly. It seems like it was you who decided it was a M$ product.

Why not next time try thinking b4 typing, and reading what is written, not what you hear in your head?

Posted by Idiot on May 24, 2004 at 2:52 PM (PDT)