iTunes menu reveals movie rental plans
A menu item in iTunes pointing to possible future movie rentals has been discovered. Mac OS developer David Watanabe on Friday posted a screenshot of a menu he discovered in iTunes’ problem reporting section, which contained several options mentioning “RentalMovie.” The options’ presence was confirmed by several others; all references to “RentalMovie” have since been removed from the menu by Apple.
The Financial Times reported in June that Apple was currently in talks with major movie studios regarding the launch of an iTunes-based online movie rental service. According to that report, the rentals would be priced at $2.99 for a 30-day rental, and would incorporate DRM that allowed transfer of the title to at least one other device, such as an Apple TV or iPod. The software would also prevent the movies from being copied. Many had speculated that a movie rental service would be introduced at Apple’s “Beat Goes On” special event last week.
- Apple responds to EU iTunes refund abuse
- Apple introduces 14-day refund policy on iTunes purchases in the EU
- Apple found not guilty in iPod, iTunes Store lock-in suit
- Antitrust lawyers claim Apple deleted competing songs from users’ iPods
- Verizon sponsoring ad-free listening to all U.S. iTunes Radio users
- iTunes music sales down at least 13 percent worldwide
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- Apple Pay support coming to more vending machines, kiosks, parking meters
- Apple releases iOS 8.1.3
- Apple TV adds 120 Sports channel
- Report: Bank verification methods leave Apple Pay vulnerable to fraud
- Apple filing reveals executive compensation plans, earnings
- Report: Apple Watch battery life expected to be about 19 hours
- Apple outlines limited HomeKit support for non-HomeKit accessories
- Report: Apple agrees to accept product inspections from Chinese government
- IK Multimedia announces iRig Mic Studio
- NimbleBit announces Apple Watch support for Letterpad
- Odoyo Power+Shell EX Rechargeable Battery Case for iPhone 6
- Patriot Memory Fuel iON Magnetic Charging Case with Charging Pad for iPhone 6
- Lenmar Maven Battery Case for iPhone 6
- STM Studio for iPad Air 2
- VSN Mobil V.360 Camera
- Booq Booqpad for iPad Air 2
- Incipio offGRID Express for iPhone 6
- Incipio Tuxen for iPad Air 2
- Incipio Trestle for iPhone 6 Plus
- Urban Armor Gear Folio Case for iPad Air 2
- Can I share in-app subscriptions among family members?
- Can I cancel or ‘unsend’ sent iMessages?
- Ten Things You Didn’t Know About Apple’s HomeKit
- Reorganizing files in the iTunes Media Folder
- Exchange text messages between two iPhones with no cellular data plan
- The Booths of the iProducts Marketplace at CES 2015
- Hands-on with CarPlay at CES 2015
- iLounge announces its CES 2015 Best of Show Awards
- Five Things to Watch for at CES 2015
- Last-Minute Holiday Gift Guide for 2014