iTunes: More than 450K Beatles albums sold in first week | iLounge News

iTunes: More than 450K Beatles albums sold in first week

The iTunes Store saw worldwide sales of more than 450,000 Beatles albums in the group’s first week of availability. Citing internal sales figures from Apple, Billboard reports that more than 2 million individual songs by The Beatles were sold during the period; Abbey Road was the top-selling Beatles album in the U.S., while the top selling song was “Here Comes the Sun,” one of five songs chosen by Apple for use in its promotional TV advertisements. Notably, it is unclear whether the total album figure counts the band’s career-spanning Box Set as one or multiple albums, as the $149 set is currently listed at number 50 on the U.S. iTunes Store’s Top Albums chart.

« iSkin rolls out new cases for iPhone 4, iPod touch 4G

Nintendo to exhibit at 2011 CES after lengthy absence »

Comments

Sorry, you must be mistaken.  All the commendroids on all the tech blogs said nobody would care.

Posted by Ducky on November 23, 2010 at 4:25 PM (CST)

@ #1:

Precisely.  As predicted, The Beatles are smashing-up the top of the charts (again)
Whoda thunk that they could outsell Justin Beaver ;)
Me and you apparently…

Posted by sb on November 23, 2010 at 6:04 PM (CST)

I still don’t care.

Posted by non-emotional on November 23, 2010 at 7:43 PM (CST)

@ #3:

Thanks Emo.  Not to worry, Gaga is still there for those with no taste in music…

Posted by sb on November 23, 2010 at 8:42 PM (CST)

@#4

Thanks sb, I prefer Katie Perry though…

/end sarcasm

Posted by non-emotional on November 24, 2010 at 6:57 AM (CST)

I still don’t understand this and anyone feeling smug over this has a very, very low opinion of the human race. There must truly be some sort of generational and/or techtard divide (gaping chasm?) going on that I’ve luckily never had to personally encounter.

1. The Beatles have been available in an easy to put on your iPod format for longer than there have been iPods.
2. The newest remasters have been available in an easy to put on your iPod format for over a year now.
3. The iTunes prices are as much as 67% higher than these other easy to get formats, and, at a minimum, the iTunes prices are at least 15% higher (and that’s buying the entire “boxed” set at once).

The only thing the success of Beatles sales on iTunes shows is that, decent taste in music aside, Apple has a lot of fiscally and/or technologically stupid customers.

Posted by Code Monkey in Midstate New York on November 24, 2010 at 6:59 AM (CST)

Some people obviously didn’t rush to buy the box set, and the new video + iTunes LP content could be a draw as well.

Posted by Jeremy Horwitz in East Amherst, NY, USA on November 24, 2010 at 8:36 AM (CST)

The video streams free, and the LP content is less than you’d get buying the actual CDs.

And even if this were truly new and exclusive content: I will repeat this: up to 67% higher costs. The single albums are 62% higher, double albums 67% higher.

This is not pocket change territory, this is the ability to buy four single albums for less than the cost of three on iTunes.

Posted by Code Monkey in Midstate New York on November 24, 2010 at 8:56 AM (CST)

Count me among those who didn’t rush out to buy the physical box set but happily jumped on the digital one when it arrived.  Sure, shopping around would probably get me a slightly better price on the physical box set, but the digital download has its advantages which justifies the price for me—it’s convenient (click “Buy”, walk away), includes videos (which I’d rather “own” than relying on streaming), and doesn’t include the physical clutter of packaging (I already have hundreds of CDs from my pre-iTunes days that are doing nothing more than taking up space now).

For individual albums you may have a point on the pricing, but even then never underestimate the power of impulse buying—a trend which the iTunes Store has always promoted and in fact somewhat relied on.

Posted by Jesse Hollington in Toronto on November 24, 2010 at 9:48 AM (CST)

Impulse buys? On 40 year old music?

I believe this is what is called, “reaching” ;)

Posted by Code Monkey in Midstate New York on November 24, 2010 at 10:07 AM (CST)

For the record, I did check, and my rants may only apply to certain countries, e.g. north of the border, where Jesse is, it is indeed cheaper to go with the iTunes versions over Amazon.ca. In the U.S. or the U.K., though, you’ve got to be off in the head to buy the iTunes versions.

In the U.S., even if you were dead set against accumulating another physical CD in your home, you’d still be better off buying them one at a time, paying full shipping, ripping the CD, throwing the CD in the trash, and then heading to Starbucks to buy a regular coffee with the money still left over.

Posted by Code Monkey in Midstate New York on November 24, 2010 at 10:17 AM (CST)

It appears to be a win win for everyone.  Those who don’t want to go through the additional steps of waiting for and ripping a physical CD appear to be willing to pay a premium to get the Beatles via an iTunes download.  Meanwhile, Amazon is discounting the remastered CDs and news stories report that “six Beatles titles are in the Top 100 of Amazon’s ranking of its bestselling music titles as of Tuesday.”

Also, those downloading individual songs may not care about the availability of a physical CD at all, and also may not be Beatles “completists.”

Posted by Singlestick on November 24, 2010 at 11:56 AM (CST)

I live in the UK and decided to buy the complete set for two reasons.
1. The price whilst maybe higher than buying individual CD’s was no too bad in my opinion.
2. Whilst I could have bought the CD’s they would have sat somewhere gathering dust as I am the only person in my household likely to listen to them.

So for me it was the convenience that led my decision, maybe it was partly an impulse purchase but it is never the less a purchase I am very pleased with.

But Its a free world, no one has to buy them and each to their own.
I won criticise other peoples music choices and purchases and hopefully others will do me the same courtesy.

Posted by Cyberman in nr Heathrow, London on November 24, 2010 at 12:58 PM (CST)

Maybe I’m just too concerned with the future, or maybe it’s just the experience of having lived through the changeover from vinyl to 8-track to cassette to CD, but the notion of getting music a few days earlier through iTunes AND paying more for it when it’s a lossy encode in a single digital format with no promise of non-paid upgrades in the future seems a lot like flushing money down a toilet, and until iTunes sells lossless or promises free format upgrades in the future, that’s all it ever will be when the choice to buy the CD is there, particularly when its cheaper. The time you save today is time you’ll spend working in the future to buy whatever the next format upgrade Apple asks you to, and judging by the past half decade of comments online from those who have volunteered to be the victims of this obvious scam, you’ll all pay and post why it’s such a great deal.

Posted by Code Monkey in Midstate New York on November 24, 2010 at 1:43 PM (CST)

Code Monkey cleary has a very, very low opinion of the human race.

Posted by beetsnotbeats on November 24, 2010 at 2:04 PM (CST)

I find that figure pretty incredible, not in the sense that it is not true but that there are so many people wanted The Beatles on their iPod but did not bother to get it any other way in the 2 years before the remasters appeared on iTunes. They could not or would not get the CDs, or borrow the CDs from friends, or get the entire catalog on flash drive or downloaded from the internet etc. I would think of it as younger people’s intense dislike of the CD, but at the same time younger people are savvy enough to get any Beatles music they wanted for free long before it appeared on iTunes. The only thing I can think is that The Beatles are magic (which they in fact are) and cloud the brains of people like Harry Potter and Star Wars, causing common sense to disappear.

So more power to them when they release the Mono Box, the Anthologies and whatever else they have waiting for more trips to the bank.

Posted by binkie on November 24, 2010 at 2:23 PM (CST)

@ #15.

No, he has a low opinion of APPLE.
Always here ready to slam them.  Doesn’t matter WHAT the topic is.
While I’m an old-fart who buys CD’s and Vinyl, and I somewhat dislike the low-quality of the digital world, we need to understand the generation of today does not feel this way - for the most part.
I will always buy albums and box-sets in physical form, but for the one-off song I heard and want for a road trip, party, or drive home, iTunes is amazing.
Code Monkey has got to be either Steve Ballmer, or Pete Best. ;)

Posted by sb on November 24, 2010 at 3:26 PM (CST)

#17: No, I have an objective opinion of Apple, something I long ago learned you couldn’t define with Websters, Google, and a fleet of English majors to aid you.

Moreover, as usual your comment is irrelevant to everything I posted above; just another feeble attempt at slamming me because I am usually spot on with my remarks about things reported on here, whereas you feel some endless need to cheerlead everything Apple even when it’s not: wasn’t aware people paying too much for no good reason, The Beatles, and lack of future proofing due to deliberate manipulations by the music industry were uniquely Apple’s domain, but I guess in your view of the world where corporations have feelings and yet owe nobody other their stockholders, not even the paying customer, anything, you can convince yourself of just about anything. Must be nice there in sb land, I’ll stick to the real world thank you.

Posted by Code Monkey in Midstate New York on November 24, 2010 at 7:03 PM (CST)

The hubris of the monkey is just incredible.
Do you ever read what you post after you look in the mirror?
I’ve simply never read someone who posts such garbage with such confidence. If you’re such a genius on objective reporting, I’d suggest a real job in journalism as opposed to being an obnoxious entity on iLounge.com.
You do amaze me though with your sense of self-importance.
My world is quite nice, hence e lack of anger that you possess.

Posted by Sb on November 26, 2010 at 1:53 AM (CST)

To me (and apparently a great many others), lossless is only a bonus if you have the high-end equipment to hear the difference. On my iPod (with modest headphones), in my car, or on my desk stereo, the “lossy” iTunes downloads sound just fine to me. Any sound quality loss is…well…lost on average ears using average equipment. If I were an audiophile with thousands invested in top-of-the-line systems, I might agree with Code Monkey. But, alas, I am not.

I really have no horse in this race as I have the remastered box set via the digital USB apple edition (has both 256MP3 AND lossless FLAC…win/win). But it too sells at a premium. But the aesthetic (and small) apple PLUS the quick import to iTunes/iPod made it worth the cost. Much like many folks feel the iTunes downloads have some fiscal appeal over waiting for delivery, ripping each CD and then storing the cumbersome package away. Code Monkey has a point. But it only applies to the minority of music purchasers. Those that either can hear the difference…or those that want you to think they can.

Posted by Mitch on November 26, 2010 at 11:42 PM (CST)