iTunes Multi-Pass debuts; Daily Show, Colbert Report added | iLounge News

iTunes Multi-Pass debuts; Daily Show, Colbert Report added

Comedy Central and Apple have quietly added “The Daily Show” with Jon Stewart and “The Colbert Report” to the iTunes Music Store. The episodes, however, are not just being sold individually like previous shows on iTunes. Apple has introduced a new feature called “Multi-Pass,” which is similar to a paid video podcast.

The Multi-Pass costs $9.99 and allows iTunes users to subscribe to a specific show in order to get future episodes automatically. The Multi-Pass for the two Comedy Central shows will get you the most recent episode and the next 15 new episodes. The new episodes will be downloaded automatically as they become available.

Update: Comedy Central and Apple have now sent out a press release announcing the addition of the shows and the new Multi-Pass feature.

“We are excited that ‘The Daily Show’ and ‘The Colbert Report’ are now available to download on the iTunes Music Store,” said Michele Ganeless, executive vice president and general manager, Comedy Central. “Fans of the most trusted names in fake news can now take Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert with them everywhere they go.”

“We’re thrilled to offer ‘The Daily Show’ and ‘The Colbert Report’ on iTunes,” said Eddy Cue, Apple’s vice president of iTunes. “Our newest feature ‘Multi-Pass’ gives fans the ability to purchase a block of 16 episodes of these hit programs during the current season and have them delivered automatically to their computer after they air on TV.”

« MTX intros iThunder portable iPod audio system

iLuv launches iPod accessory lineup »

Comments

For a show that airs 4 times a week, 16 times a month you can get the entire month for only $10 if you want…

Better than paying $32 a month buying 16 individual episodes… excellent move. $10 is cheap, That’s less than you’d pay for cable TV monthly.

Posted by someguy on March 8, 2006 at 9:55 AM (CST)

Damn, U.S only.  When will videos be offered in Canada?

Posted by Canadian on March 8, 2006 at 10:05 AM (CST)

Leeloo Dallas - multipass!

Posted by Jason on March 8, 2006 at 10:08 AM (CST)

So whats the catch?

Posted by Saad on March 8, 2006 at 10:41 AM (CST)

This makes a lot of sense and is obviously needed for daily shows such as The Daily Show. Otherwise, at $1.99 per episode, the pricing would be ridiculously exorbitant. I have no interest in paying $50+ per month for cable, when all I want is The Daily Show. I’ll definitely pay $10 a month for it. Moreover, podcast type delivery is what we want, isn’t it? Having to manually purchase and download each new episode is inconvenient. Who wouldn’t want to have the new episode downloaded automatically overnight? I presume that they are made available over night - I hope so. I do still wish, though, that the shows were offered in higher resolution MPEG-4 for high-quality on-TV viewing. Still, mostly I watch The Daily Show while on the train on my vPod, so this does fit the bill for the most part. Also, why not offer multi-pass for other shows as well, and what about longer length passes for a lower per-episode price? Anyway, this is obviously the way to go - alacarte TV.

Posted by sjonke in Maryland, US on March 8, 2006 at 10:45 AM (CST)

I agree with my Canadian kin. When will we Cannucks be able to see this irrationally exuberant show, and its equally irrationaly exuberant host?

Posted by Special_K on March 8, 2006 at 11:01 AM (CST)

“Leeloo Dallas - multipass!”

I suprised it took until the third post for this!

And couldn’t agree more with Canadian - the non-US stores need TV show love too.

Posted by Brenster on March 8, 2006 at 11:21 AM (CST)

haha leeloo dallas :P
umm i guess this is a step in the right direction…

Posted by Noah Gomberg on March 8, 2006 at 11:31 AM (CST)

My guess is that they don’t offer the multipass fr other shows becase those shows aren’t necessarily as dated as these. TDS and Colbert cover topics of the day, meaning that the topics are out of day after a week or so. I bet they offered this as a way to get people to buy dated material.

There is more money to be made in the regular $1.99 per download price structure, though, so I’m sure they’d prefer to keep that around if they feel it’s working well.

Posted by Jason on March 8, 2006 at 1:18 PM (CST)

Well, it’s a ‘daily show’.  The regular structure wouldn’t work for such programming.  This is a great move.

Posted by Gordy. in Atlanta, GA on March 8, 2006 at 4:16 PM (CST)

Imagine how out of business Yahoo Music Unlimited, Rhapsody, Napster, etc. would be if Apple extends this model to music.

Posted by Brad on March 8, 2006 at 5:16 PM (CST)

There’s nothing in Canada, don’t even bother Apple.

Posted by Chris on March 8, 2006 at 5:45 PM (CST)

We don’t want to have music subscriptions!  Are you crazy!  I want to actually OWN my music.

Posted by sno_cat219 on March 8, 2006 at 5:48 PM (CST)

Well, you still own the multi-pass titles, you just get better pricing for purchasing in advance.  So it’s got the best of both subscription and a la carte service.

Posted by The Raven in USA on March 8, 2006 at 6:44 PM (CST)

‘purchase a block of 16 episodes’

i guess this means that after 16 episodes are delivered, you have to pay 9.99 again.

Posted by Nar1117 on March 8, 2006 at 7:30 PM (CST)

Hey it would be interesting to get BBC shows here rather than waiting a year or more.  But that isn’t going to happen either unless downloads can bring more money than those oversea deals which are in place.

As for pricing, that’s also up to the owners of the shows, not iTunes.

Posted by wco81 in West Coast on March 8, 2006 at 8:46 PM (CST)

it seems like monthly subscription. BUT if you take a look at them, it’s not. unlikely typical subscription, you can get all of episodes with big discount price. you can save more than 40-50% compared to buying each episode. this is how Apple, and we want to go. we want to keep entire contents we buy. so Apple goes right way!

Posted by edward on March 8, 2006 at 11:25 PM (CST)

“It’s up to the networks which own the shows whether to allow it in Canada or any other non-US stores.

They probably won’t because they have deals to sell programs to cable/satellite operators in those other countries, not to mention quicker DVD releases. “

which is why “stealing” is my preferred choice until they will make it available for legal download here in sweden.

Posted by dammskog on March 9, 2006 at 9:58 AM (CST)

I know this probably is not the right place to ask this, but I dont know where else to ask.  My daughter has a 4g 20gig ipod, has spend lots of money buying tunes from ITunes. Recently she subscribed to to LimeWire.  When she downloaded songs from limewire, it took off all the itunes she had bought and left only the limewire ones. the itunes are still on her computer but it wont let her put them back on her ipod.  Ever heard of this before?  thanks for your help.
Jeri

Posted by JERI COTA on March 9, 2006 at 2:05 PM (CST)

I think this is a fantastic turn of events for iTunes. Even $1.00 would have felt like too much for “The Daily Show,” but selling an entire month for $10.00 seems to hit the sweet spot. I purchased it immediately.

I would also love a similar model for ESPN shows like “SportsCenter” and “Baseball Tonight.” Again, it seems like a perfect fit, and I’d gladly pay $10-15 a month for that content. A la carte television, here we come!

This bulk pricing won’t ever apply to “Lost” or “The Office,” but that’s okay—I don’t mind $1.99 for those shows. HOWEVER, what I would like to see is a automatic download feature, similar to Podcasts. I want iTunes to automatically download “Lost” and “The Office” whenever a new episode is available. Whether I pay in advance or upon receipt doesn’t bother me ... but I want it to be automatic.

Posted by Freddy Flea on March 9, 2006 at 7:15 PM (CST)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >