iTunes Music Store Europe on June 15? | iLounge News

iTunes Music Store Europe on June 15?

“Apple Europe will present a special music-focused event in London on June 15. The company describes the event thus: “The biggest story in music is about to get even bigger,” and is inviting selected members of the press to the event in London. The show starts at 11am.

Apple is likely to announce the extension of its iTunes Music Store into new territories at the show, putting the company in the frame against chief US rival Napster which launched last month; Sony’s much-criticized Sony Connect service and existing European services such as OD2 or London’s innovative Wippit music service.”

« iPod shot to death

Refurbished iPod 40GB for $399, 30GB for $349, 10GB for $199 »

Comments

Wooohoooo…... time to get me credit card ready….

Posted by Paul Reynolds on June 7, 2004 at 10:08 AM (CDT)

You beat me to it with your wooohooo, just what I was about to say :)

This seems to fit with some other articles about: http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2004/04/20040423123109.shtml 15th is pretty much the as middle of June as you can get!

Looking forward to this! Better get saving

Posted by robroe in Manchester, UK on June 7, 2004 at 10:13 AM (CDT)

Oh dear… there goes my mortgage! :o) I’ve been meaning to give napster a try, but i just can’t be bothered to download ANOTHER program to play music on. I think I’ll wait a week and give itunes a shot.

Posted by AndyK on June 7, 2004 at 10:24 AM (CDT)

The only thing that conserns me about iTunes Europe is the album price,

Posted by Paul Reynolds on June 7, 2004 at 11:04 AM (CDT)

Did you guys hear about that Apple is going to release a limited edition Ronald Reagan commerative iPod?  It will come with 5kb of memory.

Posted by Ron Garveston on June 7, 2004 at 12:03 PM (CDT)

Ron - if you had a relative with Alzheimer’s, you’d think twice before making such an offensive ‘joke’. Let’s keep comments on-topic, please.

Posted by Ninestein on June 7, 2004 at 12:53 PM (CDT)

Will this require another 19MB download to get it to work? Or will the page that says “The iTunes Music Store is not available in your country yet” page in iTunes mysteriously let us straight in? I’m guessing that Apple would have built that functionality into earlier versions so that as soon as they launch a store everyone will be able to get in.

If its another release (I see 4.6 is on the cards) then can’t they release a upgrade as well as the full version? I’ve got broadband but I’d still prefer to only have to download a couple of MB.

If Microsoft can manage it surely Apple can :)

Posted by robroe in Manchester, UK on June 7, 2004 at 1:42 PM (CDT)

About time!

It’s so horrible seeing all the great stuff on iTunes that I can’t buy! So i either have to go to the shops and pay horrendos prices or buy from the web and wait a week before i can actually listen to the damn thing.

I think that 15th is very likly. It would be the perfect way to unveil iTunes 4.6, which is meant to be aout around that time - “iTunes - Now with U.K Music Store! BUY AN iPOD” (Even though you probably won’t need to upgrade to get into it)

Posted by Ross Cubbon on June 7, 2004 at 1:49 PM (CDT)

‘Will this require another 19MB download to get it to work?”

You do know why the last iTunes/Quicktime download was *so frikkin huge”?!?!?!?!?

Embedded TIFFs for the “Q” logo, that’s why…

“This update weighs a hefty 33MB, to be compared with the 18MB of the actual QT6.5 installer… what’s the reason behind this increase, which made lots of RTC modem users unhappy?
Well, it is sort of funny (if you dont’t have an RTC modem on a 56k dial-up): it’s simply the large blue Quicktime “Q” logo which is displayed as a background for the installer! It’s a 1MB tiff file and it is DUPLICATED for each language in the installer!!! If you remove those “Q"s, the 6.5.1 installer gets a slimfast treatment and goes down to about the same size as the QT6.5

15MB extra download for a nice big blue “Q” (which doesn’t even appear if you do the update through OSX’s Software update), now that leaves interrogations about the IQ of the people who designed this…”

Posted by Huge iTunes/QT Downloads on June 7, 2004 at 3:30 PM (CDT)

great, now just iTunes Canada to go i guess….god why can they hurry!

Posted by OSX on June 7, 2004 at 4:57 PM (CDT)

iTunes Australia too please!!!!

Posted by camson in Melbourne, Australia on June 7, 2004 at 5:02 PM (CDT)

although, music sharing laws are pretty lax up here, so i doubt they would have much luck in the great white north.

Posted by OSX on June 7, 2004 at 5:04 PM (CDT)

Who cares?  Come to Canada and then I will be happy.  Unil then I download my tunes.

Posted by j-cat on June 8, 2004 at 12:18 AM (CDT)

Yes, Australia too, it’s been way too long already, if this is just the european release and we have to wait another six months for an Australian release I will scream…and while they’re at it, Apple needs to sign Fat Wreck Chords on to the iTMS…then everything will be too good to be true and i will go broke while filling my ipod with music

Posted by Nuke666 in Melbourne, Austalia on June 8, 2004 at 12:24 AM (CDT)

I read about this on www.bbc.co.uk/news, they suggested the cost per track will be

Posted by SoloMalee on June 8, 2004 at 12:50 AM (CDT)

I thought

Posted by cookie on June 8, 2004 at 3:27 AM (CDT)

Posted by Keith on June 8, 2004 at 3:39 AM (CDT)

It will be very interesting to see what the pricing policy will be for UK and Europe. If they stick with the 0.99 price point then will it be 0.99c or 0.99p? There’s a huge difference. Seeing as they are launching it in London it might be the latter. 0.99p would mean Euro1.50 per track. That would almost average out at the price of a regular CD in Ireland from HMV and Virgin. That would be a marked difference to the US approach where the price per track was very enticing. Are you reading this Stevie?? 0.99c per track would make me an iTunes junky overnight while 150c would mean I’d probably keep buying CDs from the likes of CD-WOW et al where a price per track is about 110c.

Posted by aminorcapo3 on June 8, 2004 at 4:08 AM (CDT)

I really, really hope Apple won’t go with pricing in pounds. I’m sure they’ve heard of this little thing called EU and euro, which would cover 12 countries.

Posted by Tiketti on June 8, 2004 at 5:25 AM (CDT)

Great! but hang on, my 20GB is nearly full so now I need to order a 40GB iPod…

Posted by dbl on June 8, 2004 at 7:16 AM (CDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >