iTunes Music Store hits 100 million
Roughly ten days after Apple’s iTunes Music Store began its “count up” giveaway with the 95,000,000th song sold, the company is poised to pass the 100,000,000 song mark. At approximately Midnight Eastern Standard Time (U.S.), July 12, 2004, Apple flipped the official count up timer to “99,943,896.” At the current rate of sales, Apple will hit the 100 millionth song today, quite likely within the next two hours. Best of luck to all those entering the grand prize giveaway!
Update: Apple hit the 100,000,000 mark at approximately 1:25AM Eastern Standard Time (U.S.). (The final three updates to Apple’s page were 99,992,422, then 100,014,607, then a static 100,000,000 banner.) Congratulations to Apple on this major milestone in legal music downloading!
Update 2: Preliminary sales figures suggest that roughly 40,000 songs (estimated value $39,600) were sold in just the final ten minutes before the 100,000,000 mark was reached. By comparison, the grand prize of a 17” PowerBook laptop computer, 40GB iPod and 10,000 song iTunes Gift Certificate were valued at approximately $13,200 - a very smart promotional move for Apple. To see the progression of sales from 94,679,227 songs to over 100,000,000, click on the link to Kurt Hoffmann’s table below.
- Apple responds to EU iTunes refund abuse
- Apple introduces 14-day refund policy on iTunes purchases in the EU
- Apple found not guilty in iPod, iTunes Store lock-in suit
- Antitrust lawyers claim Apple deleted competing songs from users’ iPods
- Verizon sponsoring ad-free listening to all U.S. iTunes Radio users
- iTunes music sales down at least 13 percent worldwide
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- Apple filing reveals executive compensation plans, earnings
- Report: Apple Watch battery life expected to be about 19 hours
- Apple outlines limited HomeKit support for non-HomeKit accessories
- Report: Apple agrees to accept product inspections from Chinese government
- IK Multimedia announces iRig Mic Studio
- NimbleBit announces Apple Watch support for Letterpad
- Apple acquires music analytics firm Semetric
- Apple terminates Crimean developer agreements due to U.S. sanctions
- Apple commemorates Martin Luther King Jr. Day
- iLounge Weekly coming Monday, sign up now
- Lenmar Maven Battery Case for iPhone 6
- STM Studio for iPad Air 2
- VSN Mobil V.360 Camera
- Booq Booqpad for iPad Air 2
- Incipio offGRID Express for iPhone 6
- Incipio Tuxen for iPad Air 2
- Incipio Trestle for iPhone 6 Plus
- Urban Armor Gear Folio Case for iPad Air 2
- ZeroChroma Folio-Slide for iPad Air 2
- Twelve South BookBook for iPhone 6 Plus
- Can I cancel or ‘unsend’ sent iMessages?
- Ten Things You Didn’t Know About Apple’s HomeKit
- Reorganizing files in the iTunes Media Folder
- Exchange text messages between two iPhones with no cellular data plan
- The Booths of the iProducts Marketplace at CES 2015
- Hands-on with CarPlay at CES 2015
- iLounge announces its CES 2015 Best of Show Awards
- Five Things to Watch for at CES 2015
- Last-Minute Holiday Gift Guide for 2014
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12