iTunes Music Store in all EU countries in October | iLounge News

iTunes Music Store in all EU countries in October

In the Keynote presentation at Apple Expo Paris, Apple Vice President of Worldwide Marketing, Phil Schiller has announced that the iTunes Music Store will be available to all European Union countries in October. Schiller also noted that Apple is the first company to sell 100 million songs online since its debut in April 2003. The iTunes Music Store has also sold 5 million songs in its first eight weeks since being introduced in France, Germany and the United Kingdom, a rate of 625,000 songs per week.

« iPod captures 58% market share in US

XtremeMac announces Talking Panda iLingo - Language translator for iPod »

Comments

Hallellueah! About time.

Posted by slacker_jim in Ireland on August 31, 2004 at 12:47 AM (PDT)

Yeah great! How about when are Apple going to partner up with Someone (al-la Target), Say that nice Apple Store up the Road from Me and start selling some Pre-Paid Cards. Or revise there Payment Systems so that People can pay there way though ITMS with a Debit Card (i.e. EC Card)?

I do not own a Credit Card and the chances that I ever will are ZERO! Fact is most People in Europe do not have Credit Cards as it’s Simpler and Safer not to fall into deep debt, with a Debit Card…

Apple is missing out on what could potentionaly be a Mass Market for ITMS by ignoreing this majority of the E.U.!!!

Posted by Ichijoe on August 31, 2004 at 1:07 AM (PDT)

I was wondering if norway will be included, norway is not an EU member.

Posted by axel on August 31, 2004 at 2:00 AM (PDT)

When Apple Music Store is ever going to hit Canada? Don’t get me wrong, I am really happy for Europe, but I am just wondering what takes them so long… We have Puretracks and Napster so Copyrights is no longer an issue. Besides, Canada has always been at the “fine pointe” of the technology.

Posted by lucspeedy on August 31, 2004 at 3:39 AM (PDT)

Ichiejoe - some banks offer debit accounts with Visa. I use one for all my online purchases.

Posted by Nathan on August 31, 2004 at 3:43 AM (PDT)

I agree with Ichijoe, i have neither but when i get a card it will be a debit card, not a credit card.

Posted by smirf83 on August 31, 2004 at 4:12 AM (PDT)

Yeah I know about those Cards but, My Bank still refues to issue me one. Besides Why would I care to pay those infated Intrest Rates when a Debit Card (i.e. EC Card) has the same convinece as a Full Fledged Credit Card? Like I said I don’t EVER WANT A CREDIT CARD! There only trouble…

Posted by Ichijoe on August 31, 2004 at 4:59 AM (PDT)

Can one use PayPal with their Pseudo-Visa feature?

Posted by Jerrod H. in TX on August 31, 2004 at 6:31 AM (PDT)

LOL Now unless I missed something PayPal is a go-between the Buyer and Seller that’s commonly used by People on eBay. Again IIRC you still need a Credit Card to start a PayPal Account. No Apple needs to get off the Duff and start stamping out Pre-Paid Cards or learn to take EC-(Bank) Cards!

Posted by Ichijoe on August 31, 2004 at 8:57 AM (PDT)

It lacks the secuirty code that you must type in.  I called their support (PayPal’s) and there is no work-around.

Posted by You can't use PayPal on August 31, 2004 at 11:29 AM (PDT)

“Fact is most People in Europe do not have Credit Cards as it’s Simpler and Safer not to fall into deep debt”

lol

you seem to be getting the EU and the US mixed up here
here in europe everyone has a visa/diners/mastercard.

you dont HAVE TO get the crazy overdraught(SP) plan you can just set it to never go under x amount per month.

but now if you don’t even trust yourself with your own money I feel sorry for you.

Im 19 and make 400€ a month and even I have a a visa.

they are the way to go, especially for when you really need cash when you dont have anything in the bank
like when your on holidays,
when you need some petrol
when your stuck in an airport
...

...
how did I get from wanting itms to promoting visa?

Posted by wora on August 31, 2004 at 11:54 AM (PDT)

I am wondering why they have not opened a store for Japan. Next to the U.S. the Japanese has the second largest music industry in the world.  Plus thier music is 10x better than the #### we (U.S.) are coming out with now.

Posted by tussery on August 31, 2004 at 4:11 PM (PDT)

Any news on Australia???

Posted by cnicho on August 31, 2004 at 7:34 PM (PDT)

Any news on when Botswana is going to get iTunes? I mean we have the 104th largest music industry in the world and we are at the cutting edge of the technological world!

Posted by Bob on August 31, 2004 at 9:31 PM (PDT)

HEEEELLOO!!! APPLE! What about US CANADIANS????? Don’t WE deserve an iTunes Music store too? Puretracks and Napster are the ONLY alternatives here, and THEY SUCK! plllleeeaaassseeee bring ITMS to Canada, Apple!

Posted by ah ME mon on September 1, 2004 at 5:31 AM (PDT)

I have the Visa with cvv2 code so I’ll probably get the chance to buy some music from iTMS, besides what’s the deal with being stuck with one bank account? Get one in another bank that issues “virtual” Visas that enable buying on-line, it’s not that expensive. I got one since I don’t want someone messing with my Visa credit card number, it’s emergencies only.
All in all, very happy and looking forward for iTMS to get here in Poland.
THX Apple!

Posted by Jarrek on September 1, 2004 at 5:46 AM (PDT)

has anyone come accross anywhere online - pref in the uk and NOT eBay - where I can pay for an iPod via the magic of PayPal?

Posted by Fencemaster on September 23, 2004 at 6:05 AM (PDT)

If you have a ordinary bank account with a Visa card for it, you wil be able to purchase music from iTMS. 90% o fEuropeans have a Visa card attached to their account, and if you don’t have money on your account, you will not be able to buy nothing. Only if you have enough money on your account. And you can ofcourse use debet cards.

Posted by People don't worry on September 30, 2004 at 10:44 AM (PDT)

Hi, I am a Canadian who has just purchased an ipod Mini.  Is it true that Canadians cannot use ITUNES to buy music?

This is insane, after all the $$ I have spent on the Ipod and upgrading my computer…..

Posted by Nix on October 11, 2004 at 10:04 AM (PDT)