iTunes Music Store launches in Japan | iLounge News

iTunes Music Store launches in Japan

As expected, Apple today launched the iTunes Music Store in Japan, “giving music fans the same innovative features, breakthrough pricing, seamless integration with iPod and groundbreaking personal use rights that have made iTunes the number one online music service in the world.” The Japanese store offers more than one million songs priced at ¥150 and ¥200 per song.

“iTunes and iPod are leading the digital music revolution,

« Abkco music catalog now available on iTunes

Onkyo iPod dock now available »

Comments

Here is the press release:

Posted by Derrick on August 3, 2005 at 10:00 PM (CDT)

Apparently, they still can’t spell .au :(

Posted by raduza on August 3, 2005 at 11:21 PM (CDT)

Looks like Steve had to make a concession or two… Two per-song price points?  Eew.

Posted by Jerrod H. in TX on August 4, 2005 at 1:35 AM (CDT)

Very disappointing not much choice for English music. I think about Foriegners in Japan too.

Posted by Joe on August 4, 2005 at 5:38 AM (CDT)

Just a little correction, the last band you named is actually “B’z,” not “The Complete B’z.” I expect they added “The Complete” because of their very long musical career.

This is something I’ve been waiting a very long time fore, and I’m pretty excited to finally see it happening.

Posted by Cad on August 4, 2005 at 11:12 AM (CDT)

Too bad those of us in the US can not make purchases from this store. It would be nice to be able to get B’z Complete collection.

Posted by Dan on August 4, 2005 at 11:44 AM (CDT)

No. It says “The Complete” Because it is 340 tracks of their music. It’s like “The Complete U2”

If you go to the store they are appropriately named just B’z

Cheers,
Stu

Posted by Stuart on August 4, 2005 at 12:00 PM (CDT)

I’ve never understood the separation between the music stores (e.g. why can’t people in country A purchase from the music store of country B?).  Can anyone explain it please?

Posted by Jing in USA/Singapore on August 4, 2005 at 1:40 PM (CDT)

Jing,
I could be completely wrong, but I think it has something to do with different record labels publishing artists’ music in different countries.  To use Japan and America as an example, here in America, Tofu Records has the publishing rights to T.M. Revolution’s music.  I don’t know who his Japanese record label is, but the problem here is that if I live in Japan and buy the U.S. version of a T.M. Revolution CD, the money goes to Tofu Records rather than the original Japanese record label.  Of course, I’m just making a guess here, so I could be completely wrong. XD

But, yeah, it really kinda sucks, IMHO.  I’d LOVE to surf the Japanese iTunes Music Store and download some B’z or whatnot.  :)

Posted by Ndoto on August 4, 2005 at 3:04 PM (CDT)

ndoto -  you’re basically right. artists make exclusive licensing agreements with record labels when they sign. these agreements limit the record company to distribute within whatever country. so if a band signs with a record label in the usa then that record label can only distribute within the usa. basically. it just comes down to stupid laws, blah, blah, blah. music is global - it shouldn’t know boundaries.

i wish i could download all the kahimi karie stuff.. because it would cost me an arm and a leg to get it in the states.

and the real reason i’m posting - does anybody know what font they use in the japan itunes store? the one that shows western characters?.. not japanese. it looks really clean. i’d love to know…

Posted by Travis on August 4, 2005 at 7:54 PM (CDT)

OK, this is all well and good. I have waited for itunes japan for a year… Wat we need a solution… some sort of proxy or something so that we can purchase off the japanese site… having no solution is not an option… time to figure a way around the system…

Posted by ed on August 4, 2005 at 11:03 PM (CDT)

You can probably purchase from the Japan iTunes Music Store no matter where you are if you get iTunes Music Cards (and can read Japanese).
I know I did the same to buy from the US store from Japan. You may have to input some “erroneous” personal information like a Japanese address, though.

Posted by Tokyoite on August 5, 2005 at 12:04 AM (CDT)