iTunes Music Store offers prepaid card redemption | iLounge News

iTunes Music Store offers prepaid card redemption

picIn a recent news story we mentioned that Target will have gift (prepaid) cards available starting this Sunday, February 15. Readers have commented that some Target stores are already selling them, and we suspect that other department stores will offer them as well. Apple has updated the iTunes Music Store with a new section to redeem prepaid cards and Terms & Conditions. Prepaid cards expire two years from date of issuance with exceptions in some states. Redemption codes appear on the back of prepaid cards. iTunes 4 (free download) or later and an iTunes Music Store account is required.

« Mac: Text2iPod X 1.1b3 Released

iPod people attack New York! »

Comments

Neat!!  Yet another step towards Apple’s online download domination!

Posted by azdude_15gb on February 14, 2004 at 4:39 PM (CST)

Sadly, you will still need the credit card to sign up for an account at the music store.  I’ve got nieces and nephews who’d love to have accounts, but with no credit cards, it’s a no-go.

Oh well, anybody that wants to buy ME cards is welcome to. =)

Posted by James on February 14, 2004 at 5:28 PM (CST)

If we still need a CC to get an account, dosn’t that defeat the purpose of these cards? I mean, what is the pont if you have and can pay with a credit card? Why would you go to the store to buy one of these cards?

And no, gift giving is not a reason either, because that’s what the store gift certificates are for.

Posted by Sraphim on February 14, 2004 at 7:08 PM (CST)

Giving a gift IS a reason, actually.  My grandmother doesn’t trust online stores with her credit card, and there aren’t any Apple stores near here.  But now instead of getting me a crappy Best Buy gift card for my birthday, she can get me an iTunes gift card instead.  She pays in cash, I add the amount to my account (since i’m not afraid to use my credit card with iTunes) and all involved are happy.

Posted by people are dumb on February 14, 2004 at 8:19 PM (CST)

James, Sraphim—

What makes you would need a CC?

You do **NOT** need a credit card to redeem a regular iTMS gift certificate, so why would you need one for this?

Just click the “Redeem Gift Certificate” button *BEFORE* you try to log in or create an account.  If you do things in this order, it will not require you to enter a CC when making an account.  I can’t imagine signing up with a prepaid card would be any different.

Posted by Jerrod H. in TX on February 14, 2004 at 8:20 PM (CST)

Azdude is right, you do not have to enter a credit card if you redeem the GC first, then go thru the process of setting up the account.  These gift cards are definitely a good thing.  That’s just more stores where Apple can get exposure for the iTMS.

Posted by OC on February 14, 2004 at 8:24 PM (CST)

California law states gift certificates of any kind can not have expiration dates.  Since Apple is based in California and anyone purchasing these cards in Cali’, I’m curious if the fine print mentions exclude to us Cali’ folks.

Posted by Sven Rafferty on February 14, 2004 at 9:55 PM (CST)

sven

“Prepaid cards expire two years from date of issuance with exceptions in some states.”

point made peace

Posted by BIGP in Texas on February 14, 2004 at 10:13 PM (CST)

i guess apple has done this with the european market in mind. The credit card are not as popular here as in US. And young people cant get them easily,

Posted by coleco on February 15, 2004 at 4:21 AM (CST)

Sven, the Terms & Conditions section specifically excludes California, Maine, New Hampshire and Massachusetts from the two-year expiration, FYI.

Posted by rdlink in Denver on February 15, 2004 at 6:49 AM (CST)

Also, let’s not forget the Allowances feature of the ITMS.  The whole reason Apple set that up was so that parents of kids with no credit card could give them the ability to buy songs.  So a credit card is definitely not need for an ITMS account.

Posted by rdlink in Denver on February 15, 2004 at 6:52 AM (CST)

when purchasing one of these gift cards do you have to pay sales tax? when using the card are you charged sales tax?

Posted by Travis on February 15, 2004 at 7:34 AM (CST)

Nah, gift cards aren’t taxable in many states because they’re as good as currency.

Posted by Sraphim on February 15, 2004 at 9:21 AM (CST)

does anyone know if I can use my AOL screenname to redeem these cards without entering a CC?

Posted by Jeremy Yip on February 15, 2004 at 9:58 AM (CST)

I bought one of these cards today at my Target and when I tried to enter in the PIN it made me sign up for an account and enter in my CC.

Posted by John on February 15, 2004 at 3:52 PM (CST)

The reason they ask you for a CC is just in case you go over your spending limit for iTunes.

Posted by Johnny G on September 5, 2004 at 7:39 PM (CDT)

how the hell am i supposed to get music off of the itunes store with a gift card if i dont have a credit card?!? I am 13, I DONT HAVE A CREDIT CARD. Why do they need our credit card if we have a gift card anyway?WTF?

Posted by confused/angry person on June 12, 2005 at 1:15 AM (CDT)

dido

Posted by another confused/angry person on June 12, 2005 at 1:18 AM (CDT)

This is really annoying. I got about 3 Itunes Music Store Cards for my B-day. I finally can use them. When i create an account it asks for my CC. WTF? where is the Gift card stuff? HELP ME!!!!  I don’t see any link to click on to use the gift card.  Anyone know where it is on the screen?

Posted by Daniel B. on July 25, 2005 at 12:15 PM (CDT)

i need rap and hip ho pfor my ipod please!!

Posted by Gabby Meridith on July 31, 2005 at 5:51 PM (CDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >