iTunes Music Store sells one billionth song | iLounge News

iTunes Music Store sells one billionth song

By LC Angell

Contributing Editor
Published: Wednesday, February 22, 2006
News Categories: iTunes

imageApple’s iTunes Music Store, which launched in April 2003, sold its one billionth song at approximately 12:40 a.m. ET on Thursday.

Apple launched its billion song countdown contest earlier this month. The grand prize winner who downloaded the billionth song will receive a 20-inch iMac, 10 60GB iPods, and a $10,000 iTunes gift card. In addition, Apple said it will create a full-ride scholarship in the winner’s name to a world-renowned music school.

« Thomas Pink tailors iPod nano tie

Mix: Featured podcasts, NBC viewers, PortalPlayer, Burt Bacharach »

Comments

i’m dying to find out who it is!!!

Posted by Johnny on February 22, 2006 at 10:44 PM (PDT)

I hope it’s me! I hope it’s me!!!

Posted by Sean on February 22, 2006 at 10:46 PM (PDT)

damnit..i better win.

Posted by Jesse on February 22, 2006 at 11:27 PM (PDT)

Congratulations to all that won this promotional contest.

Posted by Oliver on February 23, 2006 at 12:51 AM (PDT)

well it wasn’t me grin

Posted by yinyang on February 23, 2006 at 5:19 AM (PDT)

I’m certain not it. 10 iPods???

Posted by flatline response on February 23, 2006 at 5:33 AM (PDT)

Ten iPods to hold 10,000$ worth of music.

Posted by Cecil on February 23, 2006 at 6:53 AM (PDT)

Damn, that was quick!! 1,000,000,000 songs in under three years!!!

I forgot about the contest completely and downloaded a bunch of stuff off iTunes a few days ago… should have waited till it got closer to the big number… still, I might have been a 100,000 song/nano winner… probably not though…  sigh…

Posted by Liam on February 23, 2006 at 6:54 AM (PDT)

Holy s*@$! I want the scholarship!

Posted by Matt174e on February 23, 2006 at 7:52 AM (PDT)

I wonder what you can do with a scholarship you have absolutely no use/interest in.

Posted by EM on February 23, 2006 at 8:00 AM (PDT)

The scholarship is made in your name. You don’t get it.

Posted by WldKt in United States on February 23, 2006 at 8:12 AM (PDT)

HOLY #### I WON!!!!!!!!!! THIS IS THE BEST DAY OF MY LIFE EVER, IVE NEVER WON ANYTHING BEFORE!!! Now to put it all up on eBay…

Posted by Dude on February 23, 2006 at 11:51 AM (PDT)

lol well i guess he happy he got like 10 ipods, but it has no worth beacause everybody says the 6g ne ipod is comong this 28th so yourr ipod are gonna be worthless!.., how bad apple

Posted by kevipod on February 23, 2006 at 6:58 PM (PDT)