iTunes Music Store sells one millionth video | iLounge News

iTunes Music Store sells one millionth video

Apple today announced that over one million videos (TV shows, music videos and Pixar short films) have been purchased and downloaded from the iTunes Music Store since they debuted on October 12th.

“Selling one million videos in less than 20 days strongly suggests there is a market for legal video downloads,” said Apple CEO Steve Jobs. “Our next challenge is to broaden our content offerings, so that customers can enjoy watching more videos on their computers and new iPods.”

« zCover debuts iSA silicone case for 5G iPods

Pacific Rim debuts iCradle, Gel Shield for iPod nano »

Comments

I must say I’m surprised.. I really wasn’t expecting it to catch on that much. Man, an added $2 million in sales in 20 days wink

I probably would by a video or two, but thats virtually impossible on dialup. So I’ll have to wait..

Josh

Posted by Josh on October 31, 2005 at 7:31 AM (PDT)

Josh. It’s “an added $20 million in sales in 19 days” :D.

This is very good news, and steve’s take on this means we might see some more TV content quite soon.

Posted by webby on October 31, 2005 at 8:48 AM (PDT)

Uh, 1 million videos x $2= $2 million dollars. If you’re going to correct someone, do it with correct information.

Posted by ss on October 31, 2005 at 9:13 AM (PDT)

Wow….gotta say I’m a lil surprised too. I’ve brought a few music vids, but no TV shows or anything just yet.

I Must say that I’m definately looking forward to the “broaden our content offerings” part! Can’t wait to see how much more content we can download!

Do you think Apple might start selling movies over iTMS? Or would the file sizes just be too big…hmmm, perhaps if you could download chapters of a DVD at a time, though that qould be alot of hassle.

meh, perhaps when internet speeds increase and come at a decent price…

Posted by skd on October 31, 2005 at 10:10 AM (PDT)

oops, well do I feel stupid! heh, I got the prices confused. raspberry

skd, the file sizes are not too big, you can download a 2 hours movie in two hours. (means you can just stream it)

Posted by webby on October 31, 2005 at 11:16 AM (PDT)

I know it’s not “all praise Jobs” Apple, but there a numerous DRM “download movie” sites already.  Of course, virtually all only Windows.  Amazing Apple gets all the attention because of the stupid iPod.

Posted by janx on October 31, 2005 at 1:49 PM (PDT)

it’s great news, impressive. however, of Apple won’t increase video content coming quarter, it will be fallen. we need more TV shows, music videos.

Posted by archurban on October 31, 2005 at 2:05 PM (PDT)

This is no surprise because the closest niche comparison is the PSP’s UMD movie sales.  The are more expensive than DVDs, with less content and usability.  Yet, for some reason they are selling very well.

Though Apple does not have movies for sale, yet, when they do I bet we will see another million d/l sale in 20 days.

Kudos to Apple to for this success.

Posted by HuH on October 31, 2005 at 6:19 PM (PDT)

i’m surprised too.  i mean i bought two videos the day i got my iPod just so i can see wot video is like, but i honestly don’t intend to buy anymore.  but i guess people really like seeing music vids on their iPod.

Posted by joits on October 31, 2005 at 11:02 PM (PDT)