iTunes Music Store UK launching mid-June? | iLounge News

iTunes Music Store UK launching mid-June?

By Dennis Lloyd

Publisher, iLounge
Published: Thursday, May 27, 2004
News Categories: iTunes

“Apple could be ready to launch its iTunes Music Store (ITMS) in Europe by the middle of June, sources said to be familiar with the company’s plans have claimed.

They reckon that the Mac maker may now have secured licences from the major labels and others it needs in order to open ITMS to UK and other European buyers.

Separately, we’ve heard the date 4 July bandied about, though since the date is far more relevant to the US than it is to Europe, it seems an odd choice, if correct.”

« iPod market share “may be overblown”

iPod:Essentials UK iPod accessory store launches »

Comments

If this is true, it’s about time for us in the UK to have a proper music download service, not the subscription based crap we have now… the only thing that conserns me is the price of tracks, lets hope they sell them at 99pence or even better less. I think the album prices will be 9.99 which is too much as you can buy CD’s from etailers for less than this….

Posted by Paul Reynolds on May 27, 2004 at 7:46 AM (PDT)

What about Canada?

Posted by Jason on May 27, 2004 at 8:49 AM (PDT)

You know, United Kingdom is NOT equal to Europe. The use of both terms as synonyms in USA-based news sites makes me feel I live in a parallel universe or something…

So is this news about UK or Europe?

*sigh*

Posted by Jorge Salvador Caffarena on May 27, 2004 at 8:57 AM (PDT)

And “England” != the United Kingdom.

The full title for the political entity known as the “UK” is:

The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

The UK is situated just off the north-western coast of mainland Europe, surrounded by the North Sea, the English Channel and the Atlantic Ocean. Also under the sovereignty of the United Kingdom, though not part of the United Kingdom itself, are the Crown Dependencies of the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man and a number of Overseas Territories.

Great Britain or Britain is the geographical name for the mainland states, namely England, Wales and Scotland. The British Isles (I PREFER HIBERNIAN ISLES!) is a geographical name of an archipelago of islands including Great Britain, Ireland, the Isle of Man, Isle of Wight, Orkney, the Hebrides, Shetland Isles, Channel Islands and others.

“Is this the M.P.L.A
Or is this the U.D.A
Or is this the I.R.A
I thought it was the U.K or just
another country
another council tenancy”

Posted by Is this the UK? on May 27, 2004 at 9:10 AM (PDT)

“Apple could be ready to launch its iTunes Music Store (ITMS) in Europe by the middle of June”

The UK is part of Europe, therefore if Apple is launching iTunes in Europe then the UK should get it.

Nowhere did this article (from a UK site, I think) say anything about the UK being the same as Europe. It might not be part of “mainland” Europe but it’s still part of Europe and the EU. Even the link “Is this the UK?” posted says it is.

Posted by bob on May 27, 2004 at 10:05 AM (PDT)

What about CANADA, eh? We are just next door, but Apple decides to go to the next block over! What gives?!?!!

Posted by ah ME mon on May 27, 2004 at 10:29 AM (PDT)

Yeah…..Bring it North of 49. Oh well, it’s still legal to download illegally in Canada (if that makes any sense), so I guess I’ll just keep that up nutil they offer iTunes here…

Posted by Dmo on May 27, 2004 at 1:31 PM (PDT)

I’m really guttered as I can’t use ITunesas as I live in Jersey Channel islands - can anyone help

Posted by Nick on June 16, 2004 at 12:55 PM (PDT)

We live in Guernsey and we thought that we could not use the iTunes Store either as it kept rejecting our Postcode with the message “iTunes Store is not available in your region”. We were gutted too…. until…
If you type your Postcode in LOWER CASE it works!!! I have now successfully registered, purchased and downloaded 12 tracks! Yay! smile

Posted by Richard on June 21, 2004 at 6:25 AM (PDT)

Thanks 4 the post code tip Richard ive now downloaded about 100 song 2 my Pod! Cheers!!!

Posted by Dave Savin on July 10, 2004 at 11:14 AM (PDT)

LOOK @ MY WILLIE!!!

Posted by Willie on July 10, 2004 at 11:15 AM (PDT)

thanku so much for the postcode tip, i had rung up all the ipod help lines and still not got anywhere. u are my saviour!!!

Posted by kay_ce on June 29, 2005 at 8:13 AM (PDT)

Posted by mag on April 5, 2009 at 9:55 AM (PDT)

Likewise Mag, only got it today and trying myself in Jersey. I’ve tryed doing it in lower case like Richard did but no luck as yet!

Posted by Grey Matter on April 6, 2009 at 3:15 PM (PDT)

I am also in Jersey and had to update my credit card info today, the lower case postcode no longer works and I am unable to update my existing itunes account so I can’t puchase anything. It always used to work, any help appreciated.

Posted by JohnP on April 10, 2009 at 10:22 AM (PDT)

ARGH!!!! the lower case dnt work….livin in guernsey sucks i can’t get iTunes store to buy anything :(

Posted by Lucy on April 22, 2009 at 5:02 PM (PDT)

I live in Jersey Channel Islands and I cannot register my new iPod Shuffle because of the Post Code and I cannot buy online either.

Posted by Marilyn on April 30, 2009 at 11:45 AM (PDT)

I’m in guernsey and having exactly the same problem, trying to update my billing information on an account that has worked for ages and now it won’t accept my postcode in lower case or upper case1 Gutted….if anyone can help please post soemthing

Posted by Nick on May 19, 2009 at 11:08 PM (PDT)

I HAVE FOUND A SOLUTION! As stated above I have had exactly the same problem registering new billing info and couldn’t purchase anything. This morning I entered a random UK postcode and it worked. I can now download again, wahooo. Good luck guys….

Posted by Nick on May 20, 2009 at 12:20 AM (PDT)

Nick,
Surely that will invalidate the address for your card and they won’t be able to take any money from your account?
Dan

Posted by Dan on May 20, 2009 at 6:14 AM (PDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >