iTunes Music Store users report errors | iLounge News

iTunes Music Store users report errors

Several members of both the iLounge Forums and Apple Discussions websites are reporting a number of issues with the iTunes Music Store regarding both previewing and purchasing music.

Purchasing: The “Error -50” message appears when the user attempts to purchase a song or is in the process of downloading a purchased song.  The purchase and/or downloads subsequently fail.

Previewing: The previewing issue causes many of the 30-second streaming previews offered in the Music Store to terminate prematurely after anywhere from 3 to 22 seconds.  It appears that this issue is independent of the current streaming buffer size and prebuffering options offered in iTunes Preferences.

Though the reasons for the errors are unclear, the issue may have something to do with the recent upgrade to iTunes 4.7.1, which coincided with the release of the iPod shuffle.  We invite users to post their experiences/problems in the comments below.  Please be sure to include such information as your location and iTunes software version.  Click on Read More if you need additional details.

The following are several existing threads on the issue:

« Apple named top global brand thanks to iPod

Best Buy stores to sell iPod shuffle »

Comments

Well, according to Knowldge Base Article #93447, a -50 error is related to a firewall…which implies that the computer isn’t getting a response back from iTMS. Could the store be busy?

I seem to recall hearing about this issue on 4.6/4.7/4.7.1

Posted by Cap'n Hector in Sacramento on January 29, 2005 at 11:12 PM (CST)

It could be that the store is overloaded, but Apple isn’t letting on to the possibility.  Most of the (very delayed & brief) responses people have gotten from support are to the effect of “check your McAfee settings”—even for people who explicitly said they were NOT running McAfee. *rolls eyes*

I’m sure it’ll be quickly forgotten about once it’s resolved, but right now it’s making people very frustrated at Apple.

Posted by SPThom on January 30, 2005 at 12:48 AM (CST)

It’s all the traffic from forum-goers going on the store just to see if there’s a problem :D

Posted by Nagromme on January 30, 2005 at 1:38 AM (CST)

No problem for me, I have not updated to 4.7.1 though.  What’s the point unless I got a iPod shuffle?  I recommend staying at 4.7 unless you have a shuffle.

Posted by dawntreader101 in VA on January 30, 2005 at 6:14 AM (CST)

There is one itms problem I’m having.  Where am I supposed to redeem my free song from Pepsi?  Got one yesterday and the itms has no mention of the promotion.  By the way, the tilt the bottle trick still works for finding winning caps.  How crazy is that?

Posted by dawntreader101 in VA on January 30, 2005 at 6:17 AM (CST)

i’ve gotten these errors before…. way before 4.7.1. it’s usually when the store is busy… during peak times or holidays.

Posted by trav in north america on January 30, 2005 at 8:31 AM (CST)

I’m using 4.7 and haven’t upgraded to .1 and I’ve had those a few times here lately so I don’t think its a problem with the new version.

Posted by aethiolas on January 30, 2005 at 9:20 AM (CST)

With my 4.7.1, the progress-bar window will freeze and iTunes itself will lose the ability to be minimized.

Downgraded to 4.7 and no more problems.  Reported it to Apple.

Posted by non_zero in New Smyrna, FL on January 30, 2005 at 9:32 AM (CST)

I am using 4.7.1 and just bought 31 songs.  About half of them downloaded sucessfully, but the other half I get the -50 error on.  I just sent an e-mail to Apple, as suggested in the first link.  I hope they figure something out soon!

Posted by TennBikeBerk on January 30, 2005 at 10:37 AM (CST)

the only consistent error i see is that the store says “unable to process credit card transactions at this time”. it’s happened to me a few times, and can continue for several hours.

Posted by mrfett in Washington, D.C. on January 30, 2005 at 10:48 AM (CST)

dawntreader101—

The Pepsi contest doesn’t officially start until tomorrow, Jan. 31st.  The redeem button in the iTMS should go live tomorrow.

Posted by Jerrod H. in TX on January 30, 2005 at 10:54 AM (CST)

@trav: “i think you’re trying to make mountains out of molehills. and just now noticing something that’s happened from time to time for like ever.”

“From time to time for like ever” isn’t worth that much to someone who just bought a Shuffle and is just now starting to use iTunes.  Besides, it’s not a “from time to time” problem for me…  This week I’d say 80% of my attempts to download have failed.

Posted by SPThom on January 30, 2005 at 11:28 AM (CST)

i have never had that problem.  in fact when my harddrive crashed, for some reason, they let me redownload like 120 songs so i still love iTunes

Posted by Exvicious in Schaumburg, IL on January 30, 2005 at 12:15 PM (CST)

Just getting into the main screen for the music store I time out! It’s a constant thing. I’ve had time out errors and a hard time downloading even the free iTunes selections. Streaming the 30 second preview has also been problematic. I’m running haig-speed broadband that is superfast and in working order so I know it’s not my connection. The errors only occur when using iTunes Music Store! I upgraded to the newest iTunes 4.7.1. I am running Windows XP Professional. Apple needs to address and fis these major issues and SOON! I’m not going to continue using their pay-service if I can’t get what I’m paying for.

Posted by FallN in New York, NY on January 30, 2005 at 12:18 PM (CST)

people! relax. spftware gliches happen all the time. i’m surprised that apple havn’t screwed up yet. i have v4.7.1 and everything is fine for me…

Posted by YongWong on January 30, 2005 at 12:39 PM (CST)

Don’t be suprised when apple doesn’t reply immidiately. I had a problem a few months ago when I tried to download a song and iTunes crashed. I tried to ‘check for purchased music button’ immidiately after restarting iTunes and it did nothing so I e-mailed Apple and about a week later they responded and had reset the status of that song to allow me to download it.

I have 4.7.1 and have had no problems so far. I have however seen many errors helping my friends install iTunes dealing with firewalls but normally it says “iTunes Music Store Unavalible” while the rest of the computer is able to get online. The hardest program to get around on Windows is a program that some of my friends have called Ghost Surf. Its a pain in the butt.

-Jody-

Posted by Jody on January 30, 2005 at 1:09 PM (CST)

I think you’re all blowing this way out of proportion and acting like babies.  So there are errors.  Errors happen.  They’ve sold over 250 million songs and have a huge collection of songs to download - have any of you ever stopped to consider that an undertaking of that size requires HUGE amounts of planning, coordination, and hardware?  For all we know, some critical router keeps failing or a cluster of music servers has a bad preferences file somewhere.  Chill.  All of you.  They’ll fix it - it’s in their nature to run a smooth operation.

Posted by Jimmie on January 30, 2005 at 1:51 PM (CST)

Jimmie, who made you boss? Nobody’s crying, they’re just posting a response to the news topic, which happens to be glitches with ITMS. iPodlounge wouldn’t have mentioned it if it wasn’t affecting more than a few people. As someone who has had smooth sailing with the store until the last few days, when my previews have lasted no more than 10 seconds, I realize they’ll fix it. But, it’s nice to see that I’m not the only one, which will keep me from going nuts trying to figure out if I need to fix something.

If anyone needs to chill out, it’s you.

Posted by JimmyJ on January 30, 2005 at 5:50 PM (CST)

i haven’t upgraded and iTunes works fine for me!

Posted by iLove on January 30, 2005 at 6:20 PM (CST)

JimmyJ…  what you said.

Like I said above, I’m sure it’ll be no big deal in the long run, but it’s still frustrating, especially not to hear any sort of news about it from Apple.  It’s not unreasonable to expect some customer service even if we are just talking about $10 of songs.

AND…  Because this is occuring so close to the release of the Shuffle, it’s not good for APPLE to (1) have this problem and (2) not respond to it.  There are going to be many new users who know less about software & computer support than I do.  This will be their first impression of Apple, iPod, and iTunes and it’s not shaping up to be a good one.

Posted by SPThom on January 30, 2005 at 8:18 PM (CST)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >