iTunes Music Store users report errors | iLounge News

iTunes Music Store users report errors

Several members of both the iLounge Forums and Apple Discussions websites are reporting a number of issues with the iTunes Music Store regarding both previewing and purchasing music.

Purchasing: The “Error -50” message appears when the user attempts to purchase a song or is in the process of downloading a purchased song.  The purchase and/or downloads subsequently fail.

Previewing: The previewing issue causes many of the 30-second streaming previews offered in the Music Store to terminate prematurely after anywhere from 3 to 22 seconds.  It appears that this issue is independent of the current streaming buffer size and prebuffering options offered in iTunes Preferences.

Though the reasons for the errors are unclear, the issue may have something to do with the recent upgrade to iTunes 4.7.1, which coincided with the release of the iPod shuffle.  We invite users to post their experiences/problems in the comments below.  Please be sure to include such information as your location and iTunes software version.  Click on Read More if you need additional details.

The following are several existing threads on the issue:

« Apple named top global brand thanks to iPod

Best Buy stores to sell iPod shuffle »

Comments

I have noticed some of the songs I have tried to preview cut off after a short time too, plus it seems like the store has gotten a lot slower when trying to connect and download music. Not sure if it’s just because theres so many morepeople using it now or what but it’s becoming pretty annoying when it takes forever to get someplace on there.

Posted by jasontho in Phoenix on January 30, 2005 at 8:49 PM (CST)

I never had any problems downloading stuff from Itunes untill the other night. Half my songs downloaded fine, the other half took alot longer. I kept getting the -50 error. I had to keep using the check for purchased music button and hope it would download at least 1 of the 10 songs I had left to download.

It took me 2 days to finally get them all. It wasn’t peak hours either. I couldn’t get songs at 1 or 2 AM, and I couldn’t at various times through the next day.

Posted by xjustice9x in San Diego on January 30, 2005 at 9:22 PM (CST)

I’m sure Apple will respond once they get to the bottom of it.  Though it would be nice to hear, “We’re looking into it”.  Apple is generally very good, and I’m sure this is just a slight hicup.

As long as everyone gets all their music downloaded once it’s fixed I’ll still shop there.  So far I’ve not had any problems, but I haven’t surfed since Tuesday.

Posted by Jazzlawyer in Kelowna, BC Canada on January 31, 2005 at 2:20 AM (CST)

I downloaded three songs last night without any problems…  Hopefully this is a good sign.  :)

Posted by SPThom on January 31, 2005 at 8:55 AM (CST)

At first i thought it may be the heavy traffic that’s causing the errors, but it doesn’t occur throughout the site. i get error when trying to access my shopping cart or trying to add music to the cart. but just accessing pages of the store or previewing, I had no problems.

Posted by Nipith in Los Angeles, CA on February 1, 2005 at 9:19 AM (CST)

it could still be traffic, since i encountered the errors when I accessed the store in the evening, when most people would be at home browsing and buying music from the iTMS. but in the morning when i tried again, no problems.

Posted by Nipith in Los Angeles, CA on February 1, 2005 at 9:21 AM (CST)

Just had it happen to me. I downloaded one song with no problems but on the second song it got to 10% on the progress bar and froze up. What do I do?

Posted by CanofAir on February 1, 2005 at 1:27 PM (CST)

I have two songs that ive purchased yet when i try to download them the error -50 appears. This is very frustrating as I have made numerous attempts to download the songs but I have had no luck. Can somebody please help me??

Posted by Londy on June 14, 2005 at 11:34 PM (CDT)

When i try to go on the itunes store an error box pops up and says “itunes could not connect with the itunes store. an unknown error occurred(-3212)” then it says make sure your network connection is active and try again. but it is conected and everything else is working fine. whats the problum?

Posted by kate on December 25, 2006 at 11:34 AM (CST)

i have that same problem KATE, what have you done to fix it????

Posted by Andrea on December 28, 2006 at 10:00 PM (CST)

hi whenever I open My iTunes Error (-3212) what is wrong with my connection if anyone can help me please email me!!!!!!!!

Posted by Josh on December 17, 2007 at 9:52 PM (CST)

Having same problem as Kate, Andrea and Josh.Have tried to access ITunes Store for 2 months and always receive the error box with Unknown Error (-3212). AOL connection is fine—am able to connect to other sites and ITunes but not the Store. Becoming very frustrated with this. If anyone knows how to fix the problem, please e-mail.

Posted by Barbara Bowman on August 5, 2008 at 11:25 PM (CDT)

Hi guys!!  I was having the -3212 error too, so I did some searching on the internet.  I found a solution to mine.  I hope it helps you.  Mine revolved around the McAffee firewall.  If you guys don’t have McAffee chances are you have other software that is causing the same problem.  And without further delay…

Open Macafee then: select;
Internet & Network > configure
Firewall > Advanced
Programm Permissions > scroll down to Itunes
Highlight (click on)
Then Grant full access to Itunes.
APPLY then OK

I certainly hopes this helps someone!!

Posted by Victoria on August 8, 2008 at 8:55 PM (CDT)

THANK YOU FOR THE MCAFEE FIX!!  IT WORKED LIKE A CHARM! :)

Posted by tonia on January 10, 2009 at 12:42 PM (CST)

Page 2 of 2 pages  < 1 2