iTunes Podcast subscriptions top one million | iLounge News

iTunes Podcast subscriptions top one million

By LC Angell

Contributing Editor
Published: Thursday, June 30, 2005
News Categories: Podcasting

imageApple announced on Thursday that iTunes users have subscribed to more than one million Podcasts in just the two days since it launched the new iTunes Podcast Directory.

“With the release of iTunes 4.9, listeners are voting with their ears,” said Adam Curry, co-founder of the PodShow Podcast Network. “Subscriptions have dramatically increased across our entire PodShow Podcast Network, and I predict over the coming months that iTunes will introduce tens of millions of new listeners to the world of Podcasting.”

“Podcasting is like cappuccino,” said August Trometer, developer of iPodderX. “Gourmet coffee was around for a long time, but it took Starbucks to put it on the map. Apple is like the Starbucks of Podcasting and advertisers will take us more seriously now.”

“iTunes has done what possibly no one else could have accomplished, propelled Podcasting into the mainstream,” said Will Lewis, management consultant for KCRW. “Our servers have been swamped with a stratospheric increase in traffic. In fact, downloads have increased tenfold as a result of the iTunes 4.9 launch.”

« Griffin ships iVault aluminum iPod shuffle case

Mix: Podcasting FAQ, Chicago 12, iPod PowerBook, Prestopod »

Comments

So, iPodderX’s main concern is appealing to ADVERTISERS? Hmmm…

Fishes,
narco.

Posted by narco in Burbank on June 30, 2005 at 1:10 PM (PDT)

Narco, ya beat me to it.

Enjoy the free podcasts while ya can, iTunes devotees…

Posted by PushButtonAction in Atlanta, GA on June 30, 2005 at 1:24 PM (PDT)

Did you guys even read the thing or are you so eager to say negative things you just jumped to conclusions.

“So, iPodderX’s main concern is appealing to ADVERTISERS?”

Yes and so is every business. So they can make money and continue to offer you services. They want advertisers so they can continue to offer you free podcasts.

Does it say anything in this entire article that they are going to charge?? NO! Learn to read and learn how businesses work. Not everything in the world is evil and out to get you and no body owes you anything.

Posted by nosedive on June 30, 2005 at 1:48 PM (PDT)

I’ve already seen bugs in 4.9 with the rush to get on the podcast bandwagon. Failure to link to concerns page for podcasts. I’ve even had glitches in the listings of podcast in my iPod not updating when new ones are queued in the automatic mode. Pity they didn’t get these figured out before market.
k

Posted by knottyboy in Wyoming, US on June 30, 2005 at 1:50 PM (PDT)

nosedive - I totally agree with you. It seems some people will read anything they want into an article even if its not there. Podcasts will continue to be free, don’t have a cow. I have had no problems with updating or listeniong on my 4G ‘pod, it has worled flawlessly.

Posted by Mark on June 30, 2005 at 1:59 PM (PDT)

I wonder what will be new in iTunes 5.0…

Posted by Aaron on June 30, 2005 at 3:27 PM (PDT)

I’ve had no problems at all using the podcasting in iTunes 4.9… I doubt they’ll start charging for podcasts, at least not in the near future. And certainly not all of them.

Posted by sungoddess on June 30, 2005 at 3:41 PM (PDT)

I hope in iTunes 5 that when you want to burn a cd, a window can pop up asking you what kind of cd you would like, mp3, audio, etc. I hate it when I want to burn a cd for a friend and I waste a cd because I burned it as a mp3 instead of an audio.

Posted by M Bargo in Chicago, IL on June 30, 2005 at 4:21 PM (PDT)

Wow, you’re accusing me of jumping to conclusions, yet you totally read something in my post that wasn’t even there. Nowhere does it state that I think iPodderX will charge for podcasts! That’s totally insane.

Basically, the point I was making, is that they should worry about their customers more than their advertisers. I can see if they wanted to spend more money on ADVERTISING, because you can’t get word out unless you do that; but the article says they want to appeal to ADVERTISERS.

I think at this point, they should concentrate on making iPodderX better. Sure, it may have more features and what not, but I hated it when I used it.

So yeah, next time you accuse someone of jumping to conclusions, try not to do it yourself.

Fishes,
narco.

Posted by narco in Burbank on June 30, 2005 at 4:53 PM (PDT)

Actually it was PushButtonAction’s comments:

“Narco, ya beat me to it.

Enjoy the free podcasts while ya can, iTunes devotees…”

That led me to think that your comment was implying that their going to charge for podcasts.

Posted by nosedive51 on June 30, 2005 at 5:07 PM (PDT)

Knottyboy,
Six weeks from 4.8 to 4.9… Those guys work hard, give’em a break.
Guess you’ve never worked in the HW/SW industry?

Posted by I-Elle-One on June 30, 2005 at 8:19 PM (PDT)

i’m still rather annoyed that they didn’t include an update for 3rd gen ipods for the podcast. yeah, sure we can still sync them and all, but a menu would have been nice. typical apple trying to promote upgrading.

Posted by christian on July 1, 2005 at 8:24 AM (PDT)

Alot-almost 95% of the podcasts on my itunes are listed as ‘not available’.  Have I missed a step, or I am just finally in on the cutting edge of stuff?

Posted by MIKE on July 2, 2005 at 1:38 PM (PDT)