iTunes Store becomes gripe central for iPod discontents | iLounge News

iTunes Store becomes gripe central for iPod discontents

Want to buy a video or game for your iPod from the iTunes Store? Apple’s the only distributor, but if you visit its popular online shop these days, one of the first things you’ll see is the equivalent of picket lines: numerous complaints from users regarding software compatibility and Store business practices, stacking up as negative ratings for various downloadable items. On other downloads, you’ll see ad hoc debate societies, with comments on the new iTunes offerings attracting more user attention than the downloads themselves.

imageAmongst the video gripes: numerous comments in the Store’s South Park Season 10 section angrily note that after paying in advance for the latest season of the popular Comedy Central cartoon, users then discovered that the Store had split the episodes into “Season 10A” and “Season 10B,” forcing subscribers to pay more to receive the second half of the season. “i am yet another person screwed out of the full season 10 that i bought months ago,” wrote one commenter to Season 10B, “now there are two season tens? i tunes conveniently left that out when they first offered the season pass. scammers.” Hundreds of users are registering opinions - “helpful” or “not helpful” - on the South Park comments, some disagreeing with characterizations of the season-splitting as “deceptive,” and others claiming that they have written to Apple to complain without receiving satisfactory responses. Additional details can be found by clicking on the link below.

Video quality also continues to be an issue for some users, despite recent Apple promises of near-DVD quality iTunes Store downloads. In the “most helpful” review for the Adam Sandler movie The Waterboy, a user named “Media_Frenzy” writes that the “movie quality is bad… Some scenes are extremely distorted from - I’m guessing - over compression. ... I borrowed the Waterboy DVD from a friend who bought it at Walmart for $9.99. It’s sharp and clean. This can AND will effect my decision to make any more movie purchases via iTunes.” Other users added similar complaints, noting that voice synchronization and picture quality were off in their downloads.

Similarly, users are actively complaining about pricing and performance of iPod Games, with the most common complaints focused on users’ inability to play the new games on iPod nanos, in iTunes, or on older iPods. “i disagree with itunes on making this only [for] the ipod video,” said “crazyrocker” about Pac-Man, suggesting that it should be on the iPod nano as well, and that if other users agreed, they should ” ‘click yes this was helpful’ so itunes can [see] how many of us disagree with this.” Of the 5958 users who clicked, 5225 found it helpful; other comments in the games section routinely complain about high game price and refund problems, amongst other issues.

Not all of the comments are negative. In addition to numerous posts praising the content of some of the games, TV shows, and movies, users in the Store’s Movies section are debating the merits of paid video downloads versus DVD ripping, and coming to different conclusions. In the Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl reviews, a user named Pondo poses the question “Download or DVD?,” discussing the merits of full-featured DVD purchases versus simpler iTunes movie downloads, while another user, “Armageddon Man,” challenges the store to improve its offerings to compete with the movie’s Special Edition DVD, which costs only “a few bucks more.”

Have you had issues with game, TV show, or movie downloads from the iTunes Store? Or found them to be fantastic? Positive or negative, leave your comments in the section below - we’d like to hear your thoughts.

« 2G iPod shuffle now shipping

Newly added: iLounge Column Shuffle »

Comments

It’s an interesting new world…. if I bought a DVD at WalMart (not that I ever shop THERE) and the quality sucked, you wouldn’t blame Walmart. The download issues, of course, are Apple’s problem—as is the feedback problem.

I get a big kick out of all the hype around Zune… because the real issue for Apple is that this is a new world, they are selling millions of ipods and billions of downloads, and they have to make the experience work for people. That is not easy and I wish them well.

Personally, I love my itunes and my ipod, but I also love my cd collection. And I’m in no mood to be an early adopter for movie downloads.

Posted by Steve on October 31, 2006 at 1:48 AM (CST)

Invest in a good earwax cleaner, please. Maybe it all sounds the same to you using a cheapo set of buds, but play a 128k file through a decent set of home audio speakers and reasonable electronics, THEN tell me you can’t hear the effects of data compression. Through a good set of cans like HD650s the effects of data compression is also fairly evident, regardless of the headphone amp used.

Posted by flatline response on October 31, 2006 at 5:01 AM (CST)

Exactly, flatline. I think he’s suggesting all audiophiles are liars. Either that, or he’s still stuck with those POS iBuds.

Posted by Nobody on October 31, 2006 at 6:51 AM (CST)

I’ve been having trouble downloading SONGS from the iTunes store since iT 7 (both versions). Need to quit iT and reopen, go to purchase history to get a successful download. (And no, I am not a Windows user.)

Contacting Apple/iTunes Store is difficult, doing what the support doc suggests - purchase history, report problem and clicking on the link of the song results in a broken link (you need to send an email through the general iTunes support form and they do react quite quickly however).

I’m not a big iTunes buyer and the regular problems don’t really encourage me to do it more often. I hope Apple invests a bit more in the store’s reliability.

Posted by Micha on October 31, 2006 at 7:15 AM (CST)

I heard that shaking your fist at the sky while downloading a song from iTunes helps resolve all download problems.

Posted by unreal on October 31, 2006 at 10:20 AM (CST)

I don’t get why people are complaining about games not being compatible with nano’s and older ipods.  It clearly states that they only work on a video ipod.  I have mahjong and bejeweled and am very happy with them.

Just wait until someone complains about the games not being compatible with the ipod shuffle.

Posted by Aurtach on October 31, 2006 at 10:27 AM (CST)

I just wanted to add my two cents by saying that I LOVE the itunes music store ! I recently purchased a 5g 30gb video ipod, and absolutely love it! I have downloaded 1 movie and two tv shows from itunes…and the quality was excellent ! The only thing that I would like to see improved is the download speed.

Posted by brettl2005 on October 31, 2006 at 11:36 AM (CST)

what’s the point of downloading movies at a high price?!? Just buy the DVD, use DVD ripping software to rip it right to an iPod-ready format, and add it to iTunes. its that easy!! what’s with all the debate. Pay for the DVD, get a hard copy, AND special features, then use software that no one will give you trouble about, and enjoy! Just as long as you don’t start sharing online, you’ll be just fine!

not much of a debate, if you ask me.

but for those who don’t know about this kind of technology, they want every kind of option. sure, give it to them.

AND, if Apple and movie studios ever let DVDs import into iTunes, there wouldn’t be any more of a pirating problem than there already is!! Movies, music, tv, its all the same. It will be pirated be those who want to do it. so, why not make it easier on us who just want to buy it honestly on DVD and then watch it on our iPod. Ripping DVDs gets old fast, and i would love for Apple and studios to allow DVDs to import right into iTunes!!

Posted by joe on October 31, 2006 at 3:29 PM (CST)

i bought “season 10” of southpark when it was first available. I read all the fine print because i knew that was a deal for an entire season - i have several on DVD. there was no mention of season 10b or that my season pass was good for a minimum of 7 shows. i noticed the disclaimer when i went back looking for new episodes. i did complain via customer service. they basically told me that there was a 7 episode disclaimer there the entire time - tough luck! i wrote again and they didn’t respond. that’s “itunes customer service”

Posted by gary c on October 31, 2006 at 5:26 PM (CST)

How much was the original season pass for South Park season 10 (which ended up being 7 episodes)?

I have a Nightline segment saved in iTunes that shows the South Park creators celebrating the start of Season 10 in September.

Posted by BJ Nemeth on October 31, 2006 at 7:09 PM (CST)

[Wrong. Quite simply: Wrong. People who say that they can actually hear a difference between 128 kbps AAC used in iTunes and the original CD are liars. There is no detectable difference, by means of the human ear. Only a machine could possibly tell the difference.] Charles O

-It doesn’t take a machine to tell the difference… If so then I’m a rock’n'roll machine.  Listen to Fela Kuti w/ Ginger Baker off IMS, then compare it to the cd, all the horns sound flat…  If you wear the typical headphones that come with an ipod, then there’s more distortion so you can’t hear the quality anyway.

Posted by E on October 31, 2006 at 10:23 PM (CST)

...though I am a rock’n'roll machine..

Posted by E on October 31, 2006 at 10:24 PM (CST)

i lost my music on my tunes library,the one i purchased from tunes how do i get it back, the apple store told me it could be done

Posted by Flor Dominguez on January 2, 2007 at 3:33 PM (CST)

I just wrote a long message, and did not type the code below. please contact me back.  I am very upset for the time and money I have recently lost . HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Curry Castro on January 11, 2007 at 3:01 PM (CST)

I’ve tried to download Coach Carter twice.  Each time it appears on the window for about 24 hours.  When I try to hot Syc with IPod.  It will carry over.  Please help since I’ve paid $14.99 for move and have received anything.

Posted by Robert Jarratt on January 27, 2007 at 11:14 AM (CST)

My comment has to do with the scammer use of Apple I Tunes to see if credit cards are valid.  I know this personally as that is how the scammer checked mine…and this was per the card company.  They also hit my daughter’s account a couple of days ago.  Seems they charge a nominal amount and if it goes through…the spending spree begins.  So what is Apple I tunes going to do to help prevent this and hopefully stop some scammers?

Posted by sparks on February 2, 2008 at 9:52 PM (CST)

Page 3 of 3 pages  < 1 2 3